+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 75

Thread: Top Chef 12/2 Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

  1. #61
    Ger
    Ger is offline
    FORT Regular Ger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    65

    Re: Top Chef 12/2 Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by Ger;3761775;
    I was sorry to see Jen go home last night but I agree that she has been going down hill for the past few weeks and it seems nerves have gotten the best of her.

    I am not rooting for Kevin to win !!!!
    Oh my, just saw this slip.

    I AM ROOTING FOR KEVIN TO WIN

  2. #62
    Crazy Shutterbug Harmony2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,163

    Re: Top Chef 12/2 Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by angelwings;3763140;
    We can only judge by how the food looks and take into consideration the judges comments, to me it seemed Michael V had one dish that totally failed, the egg dish did not look appetizing and the judges were critical of the texture and I don't remember anyone commenting that it tasted all that great. Also, I was surprised Tom held it against Jen that she didn't grill the duck, if you watch again you will see the shock on Jen's face when Tom comments she seemed 'scattered' you can see she did not agree by the look on her face.
    It's pure conjecture on my part, but I felt the shocked look was because Tom was commenting on something that he was privy to in the kitchen and that probably should have stayed in the kitchen because it didn't affect the final outcome.

    Sort of like Tim Gunn on PR making a comment at judges table about how the designer had to scrap the design and spilled something on it, etc. Which is why I feel that a mentor should NOT be included as a judge. Tom sees and knows too much and this really should just be about the final product and not what happened while cooking it.

    Tom's comment was about the cooking and I would have been shocked as well to hear that coming up when the judging should have been based solely on what she put on the table....not how it got there.

  3. #63
    the simple things babymay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,592

    Re: Top Chef 12/2 Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3764080;
    It's pure conjecture on my part, but I felt the shocked look was because Tom was commenting on something that he was privy to in the kitchen and that probably should have stayed in the kitchen because it didn't affect the final outcome.

    Sort of like Tim Gunn on PR making a comment at judges table about how the designer had to scrap the design and spilled something on it, etc. Which is why I feel that a mentor should NOT be included as a judge. Tom sees and knows too much and this really should just be about the final product and not what happened while cooking it.

    Tom's comment was about the cooking and I would have been shocked as well to hear that coming up when the judging should have been based solely on what she put on the table....not how it got there.
    Tom is the head judge though, not the mentor like Tim Gunn.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

  4. #64
    FORT Fan rebotco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    378

    Re: Top Chef 12/2 Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by babymay;3764118;
    Tom is the head judge though, not the mentor like Tim Gunn.
    I've always thought he ought to stay out of the kitchen during prep because he IS the head judge. And I agree with the post above, that it shouldn't matter what didn't happen to the food, only what actually ended up on the plate.

  5. #65
    Crazy Shutterbug Harmony2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,163

    Re: Top Chef 12/2 Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by babymay;3764118;
    Tom is the head judge though, not the mentor like Tim Gunn.
    I realize that and I did say sort of.

    Somebody posted that this should be blind tasting and I completely agree.

    Personalities come into play too much otherwise and somebody with inside information like Tom has shouldn't be judging. He develops relationships with these contestants because he's around them more and if anybody thinks that doesn't come into play when he's judging? They are mistaken.

  6. #66
    FORT Fogey graycat11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,599

    Re: Top Chef 12/2 Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

    Jen's over salted, salty food is what her hurt.

  7. #67
    FORT Fogey graycat11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,599

    Re: Top Chef 12/2 Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

    Tom is the head judge (?), to me when they're at panel he doesn't act like the head judge.

  8. #68
    Fool... but no pity. Krom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    21,565

    Re: Top Chef 12/2 Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by rebotco;3764132;
    I've always thought he ought to stay out of the kitchen during prep because he IS the head judge. And I agree with the post above, that it shouldn't matter what didn't happen to the food, only what actually ended up on the plate.
    Its even worse if he didn't merely judge on what he saw in the kitchen, but also put a subjective interpretative spin on what it meant. He THOUGHT she look "scattered", and yet the judge comments indicated she prepared the food better (and more consistently than at least two of the others--who each had one undeniably bad dish). Well assuming Tom's subjective interpretation was correct, the fact that the food came out right suggests she... un-scattered herself. Isn't that what's supposed to matter most? Moreso than a moment of distraction when some nosy bald guy walks in on your prep?

    I say it again, they made it seem like Tom was using the fact that she fessed up to letting the fire die to justify everything. Never mind that in other circumstances she'd have been rated WELL for seeing a problem and dealing with it successfully. Think about what would have happened if she'd insisted on trying to restoke the fire and do the cooking there. Wouldn't that have been worse? Instead, she saw a problem and fixed it. Overcame the inevitable little problem which always pops up instead of being indecisive or making the wrong call.

    If this ISN'T the case--if her dish really DID have a lot more wrong with it, then the show majorly failed in NOT TELLING US THAT. A small mention was made of the salt, emphasized more by Tom than the others, and nothing else. It was majorly played down in the editing. So is it any surprise this seems like its more about her fire tending skills and the show's need to clear people out in a certain order? Maybe its not, but if so, then don't pull this crap with the editing.
    Last edited by Krom; 12-08-2009 at 11:59 AM.

    "You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

  9. #69
    FORT Fogey Duckyface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    959

    Re: Top Chef 12/2 Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3764162;
    Its even worse if he didn't merely judge on what he saw in the kitchen, but also put a subjective interpretative spin on what it meant. He THOUGHT she look "scattered", and yet the judge comments indicated she prepared the food better (and more consistently than at least two of the others--who each had one undeniably bad dish). Well assuming Tom's subjective interpretation was correct, the fact that the food came out right suggests she... un-scattered herself. Isn't that what's supposed to matter most? Moreso than a moment of distraction when some nosy bald guy walks in on your prep?

    I say it again, they made it seem like Tom was using the fact that she fessed up to letting the fire die to justify everything. Never mind that in other circumstances she'd have been rated WELL for seeing a problem and dealing with it successfully. Think about what would have happened if she'd insisted on trying to restoke the fire and do the cooking there. Wouldn't that have been worse? Instead, she saw a problem and fixed it. Overcame the inevitable little problem which always pops up instead of being indecisive or making the wrong call.

    If this ISN'T the case--if her dish really DID have a lot more wrong with it, then the show majorly failed in NOT TELLING US THAT. A small mention was made of the salt, emphasized more by Tom than the others, and nothing else. It was majorly played down in the editing. So is it any surprise this seems like its more about her fire tending skills and the show's need to clear people out in a certain order? Maybe its not, but if so, then don't pull this crap with the editing.
    Very well said Krom, I agree with your assessment.

    While I am not a big Mike fan, I think he has cooked some very good food. I also think some people are really taking it too far calling him evil etc.. You have to remember we only see a tiny percent of what actually happens and we see what the producers think will "follow their narrative" about each contestant, and we don't see what doesn't "fit" with the "character" they are trying to create.

  10. #70
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    1,369

    Re: Top Chef 12/2 Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

    I think they really wanted brother vs. brother in the finale - it didn't matter... unfortunately, I thought Michael had had enough oops and arragant moments of his own (thinking his food was way better than turned out on the plate). Jen had more realism and honesty in her assessments, perhaps to her downfall.

    Go KEVIN!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.