+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Top Chef All-Star Reunion Show Discussion Thread - 11/04

FORT Fanatic

Re: Top Chef All-Star Reunion Show Discussion Thread - 11/04

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3745331;
    I think Eli and Kevin know each other as well. I think (emphasis on the word "think") they worked together.

They seem chummy on the show.
    I don't know about Kevin and Eli ever having worked together but Blais and Eli have worked together, both being from Atlanta Grorgia.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3744037;
    Like others, I found the show completely tedious and boring. I continued watching only to see the dishes they made as most of them are really good cooks. I didn't find Fabio entertaining at all and would not watch any show of his again. Dull as paint drying for me.
    Fabio is beginning to wear thin on me also. Without his accent he would not have gotten as far as he did when he was a contestant - his skills as a chef are quite ordinary. He does seem to have a knack for business. While some viewers may regard his accent as "cute", others have complained that they have trouble understanding what he is saying.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3745680;
    Yeap, Harold has gained weight, who else?
    Too many duck meatballs.

Who else gained weight? Lisa.

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo1;3746269;
    Too many duck meatballs.

Who else gained weight? Lisa.
    Casey. I kept staring at her double chins and wondering if this is the same girl they kept doing the gratuitous bikini shots of during her season. I remember people posting that the show seemed to want to have her fill the hot girl role.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal;3745783;
    Love Fabio but he was very out of his element here. He needs more time and they're hoping the accent will carry him for a while until he gets the hang of it. Marcel truly is a turd trying to extend his 15 minutes by being the biggest piece of crap that ever graced the Top Chef kitchen. While I knew that they would not stop rolling film when Fabio said they should, I was indeed glad he told him to keep his crabby butt home next time if he didn't want to address anything. Called his bluff because we all know the fame whore in him will keep him coming back for more. Wish they would have had Cliff there to grab him up again. Sometimes I wonder if his mother even likes him. Before I thought maybe he was just young and cocky, but a few extra years have not taught him anything it seems.
    All this hate for Marcel - While a cheftestant, Marcel may have been socially immature and came off as a dork but he did not deserve to be physically assaulted in his sleep. It's too bad production overruled Colicchio who wanted to disqualify the gang of four and declare Marcel the winner by default. Cliff is lucky that Marcel did not press assault charges and only got sent home instead of to jail. Someone other than Marcel who suffered the same circumstances as him might have sued Bravo and I'd be cheering that person on. It is also too bad that Sam, Ilan and Elia got a free pass and went on as if nothing had ever happened.

As for Marcel attempting to extend his 15 minutes of fame, judging from his reaction to Fabio's bringing up the hairshaving incident again, I don't think Marcel had any advance notice of the question. After season 2, Marcel was part of the TC1 versus T2 All-Star show as the captain of the TC2 team. The hairshaving incident did not come up on that show when it was fresh in everyone's mind so maybe Marcel had no reason to expect the subject which was four seasons in the past to come up in the reunion. Afterall, it had been two years since that night and Marcel seems to have settled differences with Ilan. For Fabio (probably under instruction from production) to dredge up something that those involved would like to forget in order it inject drama into an otherwise dull program, was just cruel.

Note: the woman who hit Marcel with a wine bottle in a Vegas nightclub requiring half a dozen stitches on his forehead was finally tracked down by the police,

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo1;3746298;
    All this hate for Marcel - While a cheftestant, Marcel may have been socially immature and came off as a dork but he did not deserve to be physically assaulted in his sleep. It's too bad production overruled Colicchio who wanted to disqualify the gang of four and declare Marcel the winner by default. Cliff is lucky that Marcel did not press assault charges and only got sent home instead of to jail. Someone other than Marcel who suffered the same circumstances as him might have sued Bravo and I'd be cheering that person on. It is also too bad that Sam, Ilan and Elia got a free pass and went on as if nothing had ever happened.

As for Marcel attempting to extend his 15 minutes of fame, judging from his reaction to Fabio's bringing up the hairshaving incident again, I don't think Marcel had any advance notice of the question. After season 2, Marcel was part of the TC1 versus T2 All-Star show as the captain of the TC2 team. The hairshaving incident did not come up on that show when it was fresh in everyone's mind so maybe Marcel had no reason to expect the subject which was four seasons in the past to come up in the reunion. Afterall, it had been two years since that night and Marcel seems to have settled differences with Ilan. For Fabio (probably under instruction from production) to dredge up something that those involved would like to forget in order it inject drama into an otherwise dull program, was just cruel.

Note: the woman who hit Marcel with a wine bottle in a Vegas nightclub requiring half a dozen stitches on his forehead was finally tracked down by the police,
    First, I want to say I agree with justCOZ that this show is so much better without the producer-inspired drama. I like Stephan much more seeing him joke around with Fabio, Carla, and the nearest lesbian than Stephan acting like a jerk. I like seeing Marcel and Ilan shopping together and bonding in the grocery more than seeing Marcel all defensive. This isn't The Real World; I'm watching this to see good chefs, and I watch the reunion to see old faces I've missed.

Second, I absolutely agree with gizmo about Marcel. He is irritating, socially awkward, and at times arrogant, but he did not deserve the humiliating experience that happened when all his chefmates ganged up on him. It upset me to see the flashbacks and reminded me of some horror stories I've heard about violent initiation rituals in fraternities or the military. I agree that Sam, Ilan, and Elia should have been penalized as well. Obnoxious as he is, Marcel has proven time and time again that he's a capable chef, and he seems to have made some friends among his fellow cheftestants.

That being said, I don't blame Fabio for asking. He made it clear that part of his hosting requirements involved asking questions he was forced to ask, at times against his will, and for the most part I think he did a great job.

Sam, Ilan and Ilia didn't touch Marcel they just watched so why should they be punished. Personally they should have Naired his hair while he was asleep. Speaks volumes though about Marcel's abrassive character if he evokes that type of respond from his fellow contestants.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

No, he didn't deserve being held down and almost having his head shaved. But that doesn't wipe away who he was then, and still is now: An annoying, self-obsessed nerd who has poor social skills and a need to seem "cool" in front of the camera.

Fabio was totally right in calling him out; he should have expected the issue to come up, and frankly, he should be over it by now. I think his indignant pose was a complete sham -- he was obviously looking to stir up fake drama rather than talk honestly, as most of the others were doing.

The whole idea for this show was kind of a sham to begin with -- it was obvious by the guest list that they wanted controversy at the dinner table. I thought a quality show like Top Chef was above these garden-variety reality TV stunts. I'm truly disappointed in Bravo. If I want empty trash talk, I'll watch Real Housewives, where at least I know to expect it.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Assault charges for what? Unrequited rough house playing?

Other than considering the program a bore, my only other comment would be, Marcell needs a haircut ...

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am glad to see that I wasn't the only person that found the show to be a total bore. I didn't even watch it all. Fabio () drives me crazy, and it's too much trouble to try to understand what he is saying.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast