+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 10/28 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 10/28 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;3738984;
    I thought she was a vegan too, so that's why I was surprised to see Kevin melting a whole stick of butter in a pan. Maybe it was just some stock footage from another episode.
    When she was on Project Runway (on Bravo) she discussed her Vegan Lifestyle.

I think this group was confused, because it seemed like most were Vegan and Gluten Free. I can't belive there was no Tofu.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

FORT Newbie

The chefs must have been confused about something because according to Gail's blog, they were encouraged to use eggs and dairy.

Also, Gail dispels Michael's rant about Kevin's dish being simple: "Cooking vegetables this way is no easy task. It was decadent and robust, and exactly as Kevin had promised in his description."

Go, Kevin!

Zoe Deschanel is a vegan and was on Top Chef Masters. Michael Chiarello won that challenge by making gluten free pasta. No tofu and no pasta? If Natalie Portman is a vegan either might have been a good choice. Unless the chefs were directed to only do vegatable/fruit dishes (that for Michael V's banana polenta). Sorry to disagree with most of you, but I think Michael V's was a more creative dish. Kevin won because the judges felt it was more rich and fit for dinner. But I can see Michael V's frustration, what's not good is his attitude towards the other chefs. Looks like he is being edited to be brought down a notch.

Quote Originally Posted by all74;3739014;
    Nope. Vegetarian excludes any meat, including fish or other seafood. Vegan excludes any animal-derived food, such as milk, eggs, butter, cheese, honey, etc. It's a "stricter" (or purer, depending on your point of view) form of vegetarianism.
    Thanks.

This would be too much for me. You cannot even have dessert, maybe you're not missing what you don't have, the cravings don't happen.

FORT Fogey

^^ Agreed. I've been a vegetarian all my life, but I could NEVER be a vegan.

Tom's blog on Bravo is really worth reading, as always.

I'm so happy that Mike I. is now gone.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;3738984;
    I thought she was a vegan too, so that's why I was surprised to see Kevin melting a whole stick of butter in a pan. Maybe it was just some stock footage from another episode.
    I thought she was vegan too, but on the episode she said she was vegetarian, so maybe that is why he was able to use butter.

Quote Originally Posted by RomanticHeart;3739204;
    I'm so happy that Mike I. is now gone.
    I am even happier that Robin beat him. No, I don't think she is a great chef and she is pretty annoying, but to have her go further than him is even better.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Starbucks880;3739217;
    I thought she was vegan too, but on the episode she said she was vegetarian, so maybe that is why he was able to use butter.
    I believe she goes back and forth.

I was disappointed by this challenge. Where was the dairy? The grains? There are so many wonderful things you can make vegetarian that you make regular-style. Pasta, for example, is so easy to turn into something vegetarian. Especially something like ravioli can easily be just as filling as any meat dish, and just as satisfying. I guess there's the fact that it was a steakhouse, so to go Italian might have seemed out of the norm? Truthfully though, Italian is so easy to make veggie-style and delicious. Eggplant parmesian anyone?

Robin seems happy to just be there. She is no dummy, and she knows she is outclassed, but I am sure this is a great learning experience. Mike Isabella, on the other hand, really thought he had a chance to make it to the finals. He said as much yesterday. That shows a total lack of awareness about his capabilities. In the context of the show, he is a better chef than Robin, for sure, but he is not that great, and with that attitude, he is sure to remain mediocre for the rest of his life. Robin might be annoying, but she seemed genuinely happy when Eli made it to the top three. She and Kevin seem the only decent people left in the show. And once again, she is not as good as the others, but no season of Top Chef has been excellent across the board or lack people who lasted longer than their talents warranted. As for Jennifer, I get the feeling she has never recovered for whatever made her sick a few episodes ago. The pace of this type of show probably has not allowed her to get back 100%.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast