+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 10/21 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Ryan ~ Reid ~ Roberto ryanfan4vr's Avatar

Re: 10/21 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Looks like I am in the minority, but I think Laurine should have gone home.

It definitely was between her and Jen IMO. And if totally judged on the challenge, probably Jen should have gone home. However, I think it is fair to say that Jen is the much better chef, and I would have a hard time sending her home because of one bad night, especially when Laurine was a disaster in the FOH. (Totally agree with shoepie about sealing her fate with saying she would send it back if it wasn't to her liking.) Also thought it was awful when she didn't explain the dishes...she was asked not once but twice!

The F4 should definitely be Kevin, Jen and the brothers. Let's get down to those four and then from there judge solely on that challenge. I think these four are the strongest four that Top Chef has had. (Not the strongest four ever, but the strongest four in one season)

I would guess that Kevin is mad on two fronts. He lost $10,000 because his team lost and because Laurine got sent home. He was a part of Laurine getting sent home because he did not cook her dish properly. Having front of house make a dish was STUPID! Laurine deserved to go home weeks ago. But Jen had TWO failed dishes and Laurine had half a failed dish and bad house service. Hey, here's a idea, keep ALL the CHEFS in the kitchen and let them choose a past houseguest for Front of House! Then they could be judged *gasp* on their cooking!
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs;3734124;
    I would guess that Kevin is mad on two fronts. He lost $10,000 because his team lost and because Laurine got sent home. He was a part of Laurine getting sent home because he did not cook her dish properly. Having front of house make a dish was STUPID! Laurine deserved to go home weeks ago. But Jen had TWO failed dishes and Laurine had half a failed dish and bad house service. Hey, here's a idea, keep ALL the CHEFS in the kitchen and let them choose a past houseguest for Front of House! Then they could be judged *gasp* on their cooking!
    I like this (except for the BB "houseguest" angle ). Make Stephen and Tiffany from Season 1 come back to work front of house each year, that would add a real challenge to things!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Laurine was the right decision. Yes Jen's dishes were failures however I think it came down to effort. Jen and Kevin's dishes may not have been successful, but they were pounding out the effort. Laurine seemed to have her head in the clouds. She showed little enthusiasm towards the diners, displayed no knowledge of the dishes unless asked, did not display leadership skills by delegating to her waitstaff and thus showed no control over the FOH. I believe her lack of initiative is what did her in.

FORT Fan

What's wrong with Mike and Bryan?

They swear like sailors, and they do it without a shred of comedy. There are a couple of ways you can tell someone he's a... well it gets censored here, but we all know which words can be used. You can tell someone with a wink and a smile, delivering an insult like an endearment. Or you can just spit it out with bile and contempt, putting all the weight behind it you can possibly muster up.

Well Bryan and Mike aren't the types who have a smile on their lips and they're not winking. When they start throwing those words around they throw in that little bit of extra weight to make it sound venomous. Seeing how they suddenly blame Robin for swearing makes them look like total hypocrits, and bullies. There's no winning with those two, because in the end they're still brothers and they stick up for one another. Robin got a taste of that this week.

Bryan seems like the one who's got everything in order... compared to Mike, who comes across as a mean-spirited bully eager to react. Still, both of them seem unable to smile. They don't come across as friendly. There's only a distant hint of them caring for each other. They seem cold and impersonal, like they've been raised to be bitter enemies. Like one of them always has a need to one-up the other. From Mike acting like the alpha-male barking commands left and right, to Bryan acting like a know-it-all with a holier-than-thou attitude towards his brother.

I can't for the life of me see them ever having fun in what they're doing. It's like they're both miserable, but neither of them is willing to admit it and do something they actually like to do... because it would be giving up and letting the other brother "win".

They're excellent cooks, and even chefs, but they're also two people who come across as utterly miserable individuals locked in one demented self-destructive relationship.
    This is not a signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairon;3734767;
    What's wrong with Mike and Bryan?

They swear like sailors, and they do it without a shred of comedy. There are a couple of ways you can tell someone he's a... well it gets censored here, but we all know which words can be used. You can tell someone with a wink and a smile, delivering an insult like an endearment. Or you can just spit it out with bile and contempt, putting all the weight behind it you can possibly muster up.

Well Bryan and Mike aren't the types who have a smile on their lips and they're not winking. When they start throwing those words around they throw in that little bit of extra weight to make it sound venomous. Seeing how they suddenly blame Robin for swearing makes them look like total hypocrits, and bullies. There's no winning with those two, because in the end they're still brothers and they stick up for one another. Robin got a taste of that this week.

Bryan seems like the one who's got everything in order... compared to Mike, who comes across as a mean-spirited bully eager to react. Still, both of them seem unable to smile. They don't come across as friendly. There's only a distant hint of them caring for each other. They seem cold and impersonal, like they've been raised to be bitter enemies. Like one of them always has a need to one-up the other. From Mike acting like the alpha-male barking commands left and right, to Bryan acting like a know-it-all with a holier-than-thou attitude towards his brother.

I can't for the life of me see them ever having fun in what they're doing. It's like they're both miserable, but neither of them is willing to admit it and do something they actually like to do... because it would be giving up and letting the other brother "win".

They're excellent cooks, and even chefs, but they're also two people who come across as utterly miserable individuals locked in one demented self-destructive relationship.
    Beautifully said.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lcmamom;3733855;
    I think Kevin was angry because the team fell apart. There was nothing great about that meal.
    Wasn't it a week or so ago when Kevin asked one of the brothers what happened to the other brother (who, I believe was in the bottom 3)? Bro #1 said he didn't really want to talk about it, and was very cold in his response. Maybe Kevin was just responding in kind to the "what happened" question from the brother this week. (Sorry, I still can't tell which one is which. I'm usually crocheting while watching.)

And Kevin was probably ticked that his team didn't do better.

And what were they thinking when they decided NOT to offer desserts?

It seemed to me that the producers had something to do with Laurine being in the front of the house. Possibly so that if the team messed up (as it did), there would be justification for her elimination. Why put someone with a more low-key personality in as host/ess when you have someone with lots of personality like Mike I. on the team? Also, I think that Robin has a rather passive/aggressive personality and has made snarky remarks on-screen to many of the chefs. I kind of think that Mike V. might be a little more edited as "the villain" for purposes of the finale show. I also think that his brother Brian was more envious of Mike offering to share the reward than thinking of Mike's ulterior motives. Remember there is "sibling rivalry" in them thar hills.

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs;3734124;
    I would guess that Kevin is mad on two fronts. He lost $10,000 because his team lost and because Laurine got sent home. He was a part of Laurine getting sent home because he did not cook her dish properly.
    I agree. I felt that he said he was angry and looked angry because he was blaming himself for Laurine going home. He is the one who cooked her dish and all that anger was directed at himself. He's a great chef and seems like a really decent person, I can see him beating himself up over this.

My take on the brothers, they don't bother me as much as they do other people. I see them as extreme perfectionists who expect everybody else to be at their level or higher and get very ticked off when they see that others aren't there. I do think they need to learn how to deal/play with others. They are too abrasive but I can't help but wonder if some of this isn't just because they have their "game" face on.

My best way to describe this is what happened with Emmitt Smith. All I knew of him was as a football player and what a bad attitude he had. He was mean, many people didn't like him. I was prepared to dislike him when he appeared on DWTS but the Emmitt that was there was sweet and charming and evolved to be one of my all-time favorite celebs on that show.

I think the brothers are the same way, I'm thinking that outside of this show they are probably nicer people who are better to be around. They just don't know how to turn the competition off.

Either way, I'm not sure I agree with the judges assessment that this was the best restaurant war ever. I didn't eat the food, of course, but to my eyes I remember other seasons putting out better and more interesting food.

Laurine was the right one to go, she should have left a while ago. They couldn't justify sending Mike I. home since he had the only dish that wasn't a complete failure and no way were they sending Jennifer or Kevin home so that left Laurine.

Jennifer said something about no previous chef ever winning on a dessert. Wrong - last season, Stefan won Restaurant Wars for his dessert (was it mango lollipops or something?). Of course, last year many or most of the Restaurant War dishes were mediocre or bad, and the team that won simply didn't screw up as much as the team that lost.

This season it was obvious which team did better. Laurine really seemed like Radhika redux in this episode - really out of her element. Like someone above, I was surprised Mike I. didn't do the FOH - I don't think it would have saved the team, but he would have been a better choice than Laurine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast