+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top Chef 6 - 8/26 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: Top Chef 6 - 8/26 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;3680567;
    All the chefs certainly have a right to their opinion about gay marriage, but I got sick of hearing about it.
    I agree with everyone but I blame the editors. I honestly was about to change the channel if the sibling rivalry crap was mentioned again. We GOT IT the first 6 times!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by texasgal26;3679883;
    I've eaten at Hector's restaurant in Atlanta, and it is delicious... I was surprised he did so poorly in the first challenge. I've also been to Eve's restaurant in Michigan and remember it being pretty good (although I had a lot of wine, so I'm not positive). Maybe some of these chefs just don't work well under pressure.
    There seem to be some clear front-runners already. Who was the guest chef for the Quickfire?
    I've been to Eve's and thought the food was mediocre. I didn't think the food was worth the price.

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;3680567;
    All the chefs certainly have a right to their opinion about gay marriage, but I got sick of hearing about it.

If they are considered to cook for a wedding reception, do they demand the right to decide whether or not the couple is actually right for each other? They are hired help (don't mean to be rude). If they don't approve and can't put their personal feelings aside, they should drop out of the event.
    Outside of the show, they make their own decisions about whether or not they will cater weddings, and it's their right. On the show, they didn't have the luxury of not participating. And there are all these cameras around, and probably producers asking them questions in order to draw "good TV" moments out of them. They are certainly not going to ask any of the chefs to keep things to themselves. Look at how they let Mike I. bury himself time and time again.

I don't blame the chefs, I blame the editors with the lead fingers.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Maybe TPTB thought it wouldn't be PC to ignore the same-sex marriage issue in an episode featuring gay chefs catering for a hetero couple. They probably would have caught flack for not addressing it, but on the other hand yeah, in real life how would a chef turn down a wedding-related job because she/he can't get married? Struck me as Ashley trying to be too "I'm hip, I'm standing up for this major issue in this minor way" and she came across as whiney, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by rebotco;3680777;
    Maybe TPTB thought it wouldn't be PC to ignore the same-sex marriage issue in an episode featuring gay chefs catering for a hetero couple. They probably would have caught flack for not addressing it, but on the other hand yeah, in real life how would a chef turn down a wedding-related job because she/he can't get married? Struck me as Ashley trying to be too "I'm hip, I'm standing up for this major issue in this minor way" and she came across as whiney, in my opinion.
    To paraphrase a previous Top Chef contestant, this is Top Chef not Top Whinner. I don't care if you are straight, gay, bisexual, trans gender, into bestiality or do plants, are single, married, practice polygamy or are celibate, I want to see what you can cook.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I'm all for her having the right to marry but it kinda felt like she was trying to get her message in for the cameras. I guess that BRAVO is a good channel to do it on.
    I'm not sure tvholic, if Bravo is really the place to pound the point home. After all I would say that the majority who even watch Bravo would agree with her. She'd make more noise if she was on - say, 'Dancing W/The Stars' - and kept saying it over & over, there.

Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;3681489;
    I'm not sure tvholic, if Bravo is really the place to pound the point home. After all I would say that the majority who even watch Bravo would agree with her. She'd make more noise if she was on - say, 'Dancing W/The Stars' - and kept saying it over & over, there.
    Maybe your right. I just think that BRAVO is a gay friendly channel and that they would make sure that her feelings would get on the air, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;3681566;
    Maybe your right. I just think that BRAVO is a gay friendly channel and that they would make sure that her feelings would get on the air, that's all.
    Bravo doesn't need to do things like that through Top Chef, nor do I think they have any desire to push agendas through the show. There are already several other shows on their schedule in which the issue could easily come up on its own, just as the issue comes up on shows all over the dial without much prompting.

Perhaps the chefs felt so strongly and vocal about the issue because gays and lesbians have never been so close to achieving marriage equality, while at the same time still coming up against such determined opposition ready to fight law for law, and judge for judge. It's not just an important issue to gay chefs. But someone with a camera happened to ask a couple of gay chefs the question, and they were ready with some answers.

And for a couple of precious minutes, we were treated to something other than Michael I's stupid grin.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I voted No on 8. I'm all for her being allowed to marry and understand her frustration with not being able to.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;3679890;
    And Hector brings ceviche #2. Seriously...is this Top Ceviche?
    Yes, enough already and that goes for the raw courses, as well. How many more tuna tartares will we have to endure? In the past, the judges have complained about chefs not "cooking" something. Sam was eliminated for this very reason and came in 3rd.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast