+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jennifer Carroll - Top Chef: Las Vegas

Jennifer Carroll - Top Chef: Las Vegas

Jennifer Carroll

HOMETOWN: Philadelphia, Pa.
    PROFESSION: Chef de Cuisine 10 Arts by Eric Ripert
    CULINARY EDUCATION: The Restaurant School at Walnut Hill College, Philadelphia
    FAVORITE SIMPLE SUMMER RECIPE: Compressed Watermelon, Chesapeake Bay Jumbo Lump Crab, Fennel Pollen and Wild Boar Prosciutto Chips

Jennifer started as a Law major at Catholic University in Washington, D.C. But the kitchen wooed her and she went on to culinary school and quickly became a sous chef at both Julia and Café Kati in San Francisco. After returning to her hometown to work in the kitchens of Sonoma and Arroyo Grill, popular eateries in Philadelphia, she then went on to become sous chef at Eric Ripert’s revered Le Bernardin in Manhattan. She was recently personally selected by Chef Ripert to lead his kitchen at the Ritz-Carlton in Philadelphia as Chef de Cuisine of 10 Arts. Her favorite thing to make is a really good sandwich, especially late at night after work. And she is sure to keep fine sea salt, espellate citron vinegar, black peppercorns, high fat unsalted butter and setia extra virgin olive oil on her at all times.

Link to Bravo Bio Page
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 08-18-2009 at 07:15 PM.

Re: Jennifer Carroll - Top Chef: Las Vegas

Impressive.

And you just KNOW she and Sexist Pig Boy are going to clash terribly at some point in the future (he certainly set the tone with the "are you the Pastry Chef" bullcrap and the "I won't be beat by a girl" stuff.

Eric Ripert ain't no fool. Being handpicked by him is something of a benediction.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Jen will be the one to beat. In 2 episodes plus previews, she's already demonstrated cooking skills, competitive skills, and people skills.

I have a horrible feeling we're being set up for a reveal that she's got a major "tude" though.

In episode one she was the victim of slimy Mike's "are you the pastry chef" and "I won't be beat by a girl" shenanigans. So far no problem. She's right to be thorny about that.

In episode two though we see a hint of "how dare they arbitrarily stick me with the girls", and while its not full barrel, you can see there's a hint there. TRUE, if its Jen's observation that the girls were indeed much weaker than the guys and she resents being lumped in with them, it explains the comment. And indeed if she thinks that the girls are weaker she's probably right--the number of crap dishes and dumb mistakes among them was huge. But it hinted at a lack of grace, and the show could pound that home if it comes up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3680709;
    I have a horrible feeling we're being set up for a reveal that she's got a major "tude" though.
    I think you're exactly right, Krom. In fact, judging from the previews, I think Jennifer's 'tude reveals its ugly head next week.

There's no denying she's got the talent, but, for me, her 'tude outweighs it and I don't like her.

She definitely excelled at keeping everything under control last night and making sure each chef had what they needed to get their meals done. But, I still think she is a beeyotch and needs to lose the attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck;3681858;
    I think you're exactly right, Krom. In fact, judging from the previews, I think Jennifer's 'tude reveals its ugly head next week.

There's no denying she's got the talent, but, for me, her 'tude outweighs it and I don't like her.
    No "tude" there, just confidence. And that's not a bad thing when you can back it up, and she can certainly back it up.

I dunno. I think she got a better edit than I'd suspected she would after that leading comment.

Yes, they made sure her "I'm pissed at being classed as 'one of the girls'" comment was REPEATED (and I bet those editing monkeys made SURE it got in there again).

Then again, the women are dropping like flies this season, and the ones still there (other than Jennifer) seem pretty damn weak.

I think its bound to be a second half of the season with Jennifer and and no other women. Testosterone only. And she likely senses that already. If we are blessed, slimy Mike will be gone too, and it also seems like Ron (and possibly Hector) aren't long for this competition either.

Really, what I see from her is a pretty large dose of self-esteem, but so far its pretty justified. Both in her cooking, and in the way she ran the kitchen. It helped her there though that this season has no obvious nutbags other than Slimy Mike, and even he has a certain amount of in-kitchen discipline. So she didn't really have any uncontrollable "reality show blowup" to deal with in that kitchen.

I agree with Superfly. Personally, I like her attitude. She is here to win.

So far, I'm impressed with her and belive she'll have no problem being in the final three or four.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast