+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kevin Gillespie - Top Chef: Las Vegas

Kevin Gillespie - Top Chef: Las Vegas

Kevin Gillespie

HOMETOWN: Atlanta, Ga.
    PROFESSION: Executive Chef & Partner, Woodfire Grill
    CULINARY EDUCATION: Art Institute of Atlanta
    FAVORITE SIMPLE SUMMER RECIPE: Creamed silver queen corn with a warm salad of small tomatoes and pole beans.

Determined to become a successful chef, Kevin worked part-time at various restaurants while carrying a full course load in school at the Art Institute of Atlanta. After graduating with honors, he went on to hold positions at several well-known Atlanta restaurants including Atlanta Grill at The Ritz-Carlton, Two Urban Licks and Woodfire Grill. In 2006, he and his wife Callie moved out west to Portland, Oregon, where he worked as the Executive Sous Chef at Fife Restaurant. Missing friends and family, they returned to Atlanta last year and Kevin became the Executive Chef at Woodfire Grill, where he is also a partner. Hot wings are his favorite junk food, and the five ingredients he keeps on hand at all times are banyuls vinegar, smoked pork, espelette pepper, lemon oil and lard.

Link to Bravo Bio Page
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 08-18-2009 at 07:11 PM.

Re: Kevin Gillespie - Top Chef: Las Vegas

Interesting blind item on Gawker this morning:
    3. "The contestants on Top Chef: Las Vegas were asked, 'What's the most annoying thing a customer's ever asked for/ordered?' Kevin Gillespie, Executive Chef and Partner at Woodfire Grill in Atlanta, replied: 'We had a famous musician demand that we not make contact, address her directly, or engage her in any way. We told her that once she could go out to dinner like normal people, should could eat at our restaurant.' Who is the famous musician Kevin was talking about?"
    I wonder if there's a video buried at the Bravo site with the answer. Unless it was a local Atlanta news article...
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

FORT Fogey

Kevin made it to the semifinals of the buze cuse.

Blogs - The Dish - Kevin Gillespie Named Bocuse d'Or Semi-Finalist | Bravo TV Official Site

It's a very tough gig, though. I hope he makes it to the actual competition. They give the selected chefs many months to train....The American team has yet to win the event. It is still a very European contest, I guess. And, they take it very, very seriously.

Kevin's making news for all sorts of reasons...
    Top Chef Finalist and Favorite Dish Parting Ways

Today 2:15 PM PST by Breanne L. Heldman

Ladies, if you're looking for a finely bearded man who'll cook you one heck of a meal, there's a new one on the block.

Top Chef finalist and fan favorite Kevin Gillespie is in the middle of a divorce from his wife, Callie, he admitted to USA Today.

In fact, the split began right around the same time as the final cook-off on the reality show, which aired last week.

"I've had a lot of conflict…like, in my personal life, my wife and I are going through a divorce," the 26-year-old from Atlanta says. "So it's been really challenging. And all of this was going on during Top Chef, which kind of puts some context around why, in the final two episodes, I seemed out of it. It was kind of at the lowest point for us."

Hopefully, he'll whip up some better luck in 2010.
    Sad...but it sounds like it's been a long time coming.

Kevin's a busy man...too busy!
    'Top Chef' finalist Kevin pulls out of Bocuse d'Or competition

Jan 29 2010 04:00 PM ET
    by Archana Ram

Top Chef season six finalist Kevin Gillespie has pulled out of the Bocuse d’Or — the international culinary competition in which he was entered after winning a Top Chef challenge last season.

According to his rep, Melissa Libby, Gillespie felt he didn’t have adequate time to prepare. “He just realized with everything he had going on business wise and busy-ness wise, he couldn’t devote the time and energy he needed to really represent the United States well and he just didn’t want to let anyone down,” Libby told EW. “He’s very, very serious and a perfectionist.”

Gillespie wrote a letter to the Bocuse D’or committee, asking to be removed from the list of semi-finalists, and when the committee granted him permission, they also offered him a deferral for the next Bocuse d’Or, which takes place in 2013.

While Gillespie still runs his Woodfire Grill restaurant in Atlanta, the rest of his time is spent on obligations to Bravo. Though Libby wouldn’t specify, she said his work with the show since wrapping has been more behind-the-scenes. To her knowledge, the network was never consulted regarding Gillespie’s decision to withdraw. “Certainly some of his obligations with Bravo were some of the things making him so busy, but they certainly didn’t do anything to make him pull out nor did they try to make him stay in,” Libby said. Bravo declined to comment.
    I'm glad the Bd'O people are being so accomodating. Wait till next year!

+ Reply to Thread