+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top Chef Masters 8/05 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Somewhere between La La Land and Sin City

Re: Top Chef Masters 8/05 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I really have enjoyed the good-spirited competition. It's so nice to see the chefs helping each other out and not sabotaging their competitors. I'm really pleased with the top four and am looking forward to next week's show. Although, from the looks of it, I would be tossing a few of the "helpers" out of my kitchen.

Hubert is very charming, and so is his food. Rick's food I would be happy to eat every day of the week. But Michael is the star of the show for us. I was happy before the show even started to know he was going to be on it, and his saucy comments have exceeded our expectations. If we were playing marry-"date"-kill, I would "date" Hubert but marry Michael because he is so endlessly amusing. There is no one on the show I'd want to kill, however, not even the hostess. Lol, it was funny, though, when they discussed shoving Spike off a roof!

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;3645178;
    Hubert is very charming, and so is his food. Rick's food I would be happy to eat every day of the week. But Michael is the star of the show for us. I was happy before the show even started to know he was going to be on it, and his saucy comments have exceeded our expectations. If we were playing marry-"date"-kill, I would "date" Hubert but marry Michael because he is so endlessly amusing. There is no one on the show I'd want to kill, however, not even the hostess. Lol, it was funny, though, when they discussed shoving Spike off a roof!
    Wow. It's amazing how you see "endlessly amusing" and I see smug jerk.

I would eat any of their food, but the only one I don't want to win is Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;3645459;
    Wow. It's amazing how you see "endlessly amusing" and I see smug jerk.
    I would eat any of their food, but the only one I don't want to win is Michael.
    We see him as having camaraderie with Hubert. They both work in the Bay Area, so Michael is just "bustin' on his homie." I wouldn't mind him, Hubert, or Rick winning.

Rick seems very sweet. I thought the segment about his daughter was sweet.

Question: what is that big funnel thing that Hubert used to fill his gazpacho glasses?
    Whoever did the panna cottas that the judges all admired in a catering challenge whipped them out using the same tool, which seems made to open and close and avoid drips. If I can find out what it's called, I can google it.

FORT Fanatic

While I agree about the final 4 ( Anita Lo over Art Smith), prob being the right choices in the long run..c'mon, the fix was in to keep Lo and dump Smith. He started the judges' voting a full 2 stars ahead of her and the judges couldn't stand her dish. That greasy, leaden eggplant! Those lentils! The plate's appearance! For Gael Greene to give 3 stars was ridiculous....just enough to edge out Smith by 1/2 star. So obvious....

I think I am going to have a tough time watching the regular Top Chef, since this group is so nice to one another.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

[QUOTE=Bunny555;3642845;]Art did. He chose to make dessert using purchased rice milk ice-cream and the judges were all over him about that.

I wish Art had told the judges what he put in the brittle: When they asked him how he made it without using butter (a definite vegan no-no), he answered the question by saying he made it the way his family always did. Since he (& the rest of the chefs) were such big babies about cooking for vegans, you just know he used butter.

Can you tell I'm vegan?

NJ, He probably told them, but the editors left that part out. There always seems to be a big gap in TC Judges (or Critics) table editing that's very choppy.

Maybe the official site will have the recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;3646079;
    Question: what is that big funnel thing that Hubert used to fill his gazpacho glasses?
    Whoever did the panna cottas that the judges all admired in a catering challenge whipped them out using the same tool, which seems made to open and close and avoid drips. If I can find out what it's called, I can google it.
    I have seen those at Target before. The ones I have seen have been for pancakes:
    Pancake Batter Dispenser at Cooking.com
    Not sure if you would need a different version for something like gazpacho since I would expect it to have a thinner consistency...

I also don't think Michael comes off as smug. His interaction with both Hubert and Rick seems to show genuine respect. I think he jokes a lot with them, but I have viewed it as charming/amusing and not at all smug.

I've actually been liking Michael on this show a lot more than when I saw him on the FN. On the FN, I didn't find him to be smug or arrogant; I just found him kind of boring. But, his recipes always looked good.
    On Top Chef, he comes across as having a personality, so maybe he's enjoying himself more.

BTW, I've never watched the regular Top Chef, probably because I really don't like the hostess lady. Is the regular Top Chef as good as the Masters is? I am really enjoying this show, but it could be that they're all just really great experts and there's not a lot of drama.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 08-12-2009 at 02:16 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast