+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Top Chef 2/4 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

Re: Top Chef 2/4 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

I can't stand Jaime's attitude and her tattoos make me want to vomit, since she feels the need to keep them constantly exposed. However I think Leah's attitude is worse and she should have gone this week instead.

FORT Fogey

I watched the show late, so had the advantage of knowing that Jamie was ousted before I saw any part of the show. The moment she said that Ripert's food was just not her style, and she didn't like it much, I was thrilled to have the reassurance of knowing she would be going home. I'm sorry - there are just some individuals in a field who you respect and honor even if they're not your style, and Ripert is in that class. You can be an abstract paiter but still appreciate the greatness of Monet. You can be a rock guitarist and still appreciate the greatness of Mozart. And you can be a spicy soup chef and still appreciate the brillance of Eric Ripert. I think that she should have been sent home the moment she said that ... just skip the challenge!

I also loved the challenge. Haven't they done one like that before, with the "re-create the dish you just tasted?" It seemed obvious to me from the moment they sat down for lunch what the challenge would be. They don't get luxurious kick back and enjoy activities on Top Chef, so of course it wasn't as simple as "just eat"! I think the smart ones probably recognized that, and were tasting to consider ingredients and figure it out. Those who obviously weren't (Hosea, I'm looking at you) deserved to face the problems they did. It was a smart challenge - challenged the palette, and challenged the skills.

And I have to join the Ripert bandwagon. I've been impressed with him as a person and as a chef for as long as I've known who he was. But holy guacamole did he take on an entirely new level of flat out sexy in my world watching that episode! I've never looked at him in that way and now ... whew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3306309;
    I must admit I was shocked, amazed, blown away with Jaime leaving after hearing from the judges own mouths how bad Leah's and Hosea's dishes were, the impression I take from all that is that the producers totally manipulated who would leave. Maybe I will go and read those blogs to understand why Jaime was sent home over Leah.
    I don't think that the producers manipulated who would leave. I think they manipulated how the judge's discussion was edited. Jamie has been a strong enough competitor who showed hints of having the ability to make it to the final that her dismissal was going to be a shock. Had they showed a bunch of judge's comments agreeing that her dish was hands down the worst, then when Padma said her name it would have had no dramatic impact. But editing it so all we heard were the negative comments about Hosea and Leah, and didn't hear much about their thoughts on Jamie, it made those final moments more surprising and dramatic.
    Last edited by Veruka; 02-07-2009 at 02:27 PM.

I remember Hung winning a "re-create a dish" type challenge, something wrapped in a thin layer of potato I think, but in that challenge all of the cheftestants had to try and re create the same dish.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal;3309179;
    I remember Hung winning a "re-create a dish" type challenge, something wrapped in a thin layer of potato I think, but in that challenge all of the cheftestants had to try and re create the same dish.
    That was a QF at LeCirque, and I thought Casey won that one. I could be wrong, though. Maybe she won the EC - which was also at LeCirque.

(I wonder if Andrew was a sous chef for them, he was working at LeCirque at as a sous chef, at that time.)

Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;3309733;
    That was a QF at LeCirque, and I thought Casey won that one. I could be wrong, though. Maybe she won the EC - which was also at LeCirque.
    Casey was a close second and many of us thought she would come out on top based on the comments made, but alas we had to watch Hung's smug face announced as the winner.

Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;3309733;

(I wonder if Andrew was a sous chef for them, he was working at LeCirque at as a sous chef, at that time.)
    I looked at the Le Cirque episode to see if I could spot Andrew in the background, but I didn't see him. Maybe it was his day off. (By the way, that episode and the airline food episode before it are probably my 2 favorite TC eps ever.)

This past month, HBO has been showing a documentary about Le Cirque and the Maccioni family, it's really good. It tells the story of how they got their current location opened, and the conflicts that Sirio and his sons ran into while deciding if they should modernize their menu and business model.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3306309;
    I must admit I was shocked, amazed, blown away with Jaime leaving after hearing from the judges own mouths how bad Leah's and Hosea's dishes were, the impression I take from all that is that the producers totally manipulated who would leave. Maybe I will go and read those blogs to understand why Jaime was sent home over Leah.
    After hearing her dish was "toxic" I knew it was over for her. Both she and Leah didn't seem to care enough this week, so either one of them could've gone home.

Quote Originally Posted by navybelle;3310927;
    After hearing her dish was "toxic" I knew it was over for her. Both she and Leah didn't seem to care enough this week, so either one of them could've gone home.
    I was pretty upset when she got eliminated, but after reading the judge's blogs (as well as Ripert's remarks) it seems like she was the clear choice.

I always feel better about the judges' choices after reading their blogs, actually. I'm happy that all five remaining contestants seem like capable, talented chefs, even though I think Stefan is the strongest. More important, I'm glad that besides the Hosea-Leah drama, this season has shown class and gotten along pretty well.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by texasgal26;3311110;
    I was pretty upset when she got eliminated, but after reading the judge's blogs (as well as Ripert's remarks) it seems like she was the clear choice.

I always feel better about the judges' choices after reading their blogs, actually. I'm happy that all five remaining contestants seem like capable, talented chefs, even though I think Stefan is the strongest. More important, I'm glad that besides the Hosea-Leah drama, this season has shown class and gotten along pretty well.
    Agree on all counts. Esp. about reading the judges blogs and enjoying a season without infighting. I just wish the group were better chefs!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011