+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Top Chef 1/7 Discussion Thread **spoilers**

Re: Top Chef 1/7 Discussion Thread **spoilers**

I really enjoyed this episode. As much as I liked Gene, he really wasn't bringing it week after week. And Melissa? I agree with Bearcata - how did she get on this show?

Radhika must have been thrilled to have immunity after hearing her dish described as "a weapon of mass destruction"! It's likely she would have been in the B3 instead of Carla. Fabio's ravioli saved him for sure. That lamb was raw - ewwww

Jeff needs to stop making sorbets - sheesh
    Jaime (and everyone else for that matter) - no more scallops please!
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3269676;
    I am disappointed with the new judge. I have always thought that both Top Chef and Project Runway were intelligent shows. The new guy is brining this show down. When a dish is referred to as cat food, what do we learn? Talk about why the dish failed instead of insulting it. It is not entertaining. Anthony Bourdain knows how to mix comedic comments with a serious critique. This guy is just out to maintain his manufactured personality for celebrity status. Bravo, you blew it. We don't want this kind of drama.
    I'm so glad you mentioned this! I 100% agreed and had the exact same thoughts when he started his act. I too was wishing for Bourdain to show up. I was sick of his movie references in an instant. I think we got 2 of them within minutes of one another. Maybe he'll grow on me, however I wasn't that impressed last night. One good thing I can say is that he doesn't seem to be looking simply to snark, he can dish out a little praise, which is good.

Re: 1/7 Discussion Thread **spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;3269436;
    I think what saved Carla more was her explanation of what she did wrong and how she would've fixed it. Tom definitely agreed she could've had an oustanding dish. Eugene really didn't know what he was doing with that dish and how to fix it. His only explanation was "I tasted it before and I liked it."

Also, Eugene & Melissa have been at the bottom at least the last two challenges.

I was a tad worried about my Jeff at first. TG for Toby.
    Yes, Carla recognized what she did wrong and said how she would correct the problem. She knows what to do but just did it wrong.

I think the front runners for the win are Hosea, Jeff, Radhika, Ariana.

I'm so glad Eugene and Melissa left. Eugene was my favorite before the show started but he talked so much about originality. At least when Stefan boasts, he actually can back it up. Eugene couldn't back his "creativity" with taste. Melissa was just a mess because I could see that the competition took a toll on her.

I'd put Leah on the frontrunners. She's like flying under the radar. I say an all-female final three w/Radhika, Ariane, and Leah. Radhika FTW!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal;3269694;
    I'm so glad you mentioned this! I 100% agreed and had the exact same thoughts when he started his act. I too was wishing for Bourdain to show up. I was sick of his movie references in an instant. I think we got 2 of them within minutes of one another. Maybe he'll grow on me, however I wasn't that impressed last night. One good thing I can say is that he doesn't seem to be looking simply to snark, he can dish out a little praise, which is good.
    I also agree with Shoepie, as well as what you added. The insults he was throwing out were starting to remind me of Gordon Ramsay, and there's a reason I don't watch Hell's Kitchen. He DID redeem himself by being able to compliment a good dish (unlike Ramsay). But at the end of the day, I think the role of the judges is really to make the contestants better for the next challenge. When a judge is so focused on clever ways to voice his dislike, I don't see a lot of room for helping and encouraging improvement in there.

I do have to say, I LOVED seeing a "make us a great dish" challenge at this point in the competition, rather than only having that in the end. It pulled away all the excuses the contestants often times come up with, and if they failed, it was only because they failed.

ITA that the judge was harsh! With all that talk about weapons, cat food, and bland leading the bland. I'd be pissed if someone told me that. The quickfire challenge was fun, love desserts. Leah's dessert looked so good.

Pointing out Fabio's quote: "This is Top Chef, not Top Scallops" and "Lying is ugly but on television it's even uglier." Gotta love Fabio

This season is much better than last season. Contestants have personality without being snarky (*coughlisacough)

I have to agree with Fabio. What's up with all the scallop dishes? I felt bad for Melissa and Gene, I think they really wanted to be there but the deep fried red snapper and fish tacos did not look appetizing.
    I also agree with everyone about the new judge. How would he know what cat food tastes like? Has he eaten cat food before? I think he's there for his own celebrity; not as a serious judge.

Re: 1/7 Discussion Thread **spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;3269862;

I think the front runners for the win are Hosea, Jeff, Radhika, Ariana.

I want Arianne to win! I'm so glad Melissa and Eugene were sent packing. They never delivered
    America's Next Top Best Friend!

Quote Originally Posted by teddyray110;3269883;
    I'd put Leah on the frontrunners. She's like flying under the radar.
    Oh yup yup. So much so that I forgot how much I like her, heck, I forgot she was even part of the equation. She can totally win.
    America's Next Top Best Friend!

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3269676;
    I am disappointed with the new judge. I have always thought that both Top Chef and Project Runway were intelligent shows. The new guy is brining this show down. When a dish is referred to as cat food, what do we learn? Talk about why the dish failed instead of insulting it.
    I didn't care for him either. I thought he was trying to be clever w his remarks and was coming off as just trying too hard. I assume the cat food comment meant the fish was not fresh, at least that's what it meant to me. Too "fishy". I have no idea what he really meant other than he did not like the food.

Kay

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast