+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Top Chef 12/17 Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

FORT Fogey

Re: Top Chef 12/17 Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Tom is tough. What would he prepare if asked to make a dish for 250 people totally alone in 3 hours? If you were in the catering business, you had years to perfect dishes that stand up well. These chefs are not caterers. I have never had fabulous food at a gathering that large, ever, and I have been to some very fancy affairs. Everything was tasty but I never wanted the recipe. I watch this show to see the precious, fancy dishes they make when not so restricted and wtih a reasonable number of diners.

I think we all predicted Tom's words on Ariane's deviled eggs. Ariane not being in the bottom gives a clue as to how bad Gene, Jamie and Melissa's dishes were!

Preview: God I love Fabio, "this is top chef, not top scallop." And Carla, "this is the new judge? Gail? Gail!" These are two of my favorite chefs.

I love the relationship between Ariane and Jamie, too. This is a good group and that was illustrated by them all helping Hosea and Radika. I do believe that this was instrumental in the decision not to boot anyone. It was not about the "holiday." How could they since the two all helped ended up at the top?

I am looking forward to the next episode. I assume it will not be shown on Christmas Eve. I love Tivo.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3253995;

Preview: God I love Fabio, "this is top chef, not top scallop." And Carla, "this is the new judge? Gail? Gail!" These are two of my favorite chefs.

I am STILL Laughing over that line. There I go again. I really like this show, season after season. The efficiency of the editing in creating character, plot, and suspense, while still giving viewer sense of the food and what it would taste like is excellent.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jlccaz;3254023;
    I am STILL Laughing over that line. There I go again. I really like this show, season after season. The efficiency of the editing in creating character, plot, and suspense, while still giving viewer sense of the food and what it would taste like is excellent.
    Me three. And I think this season is an excellent example of how good a reality show can be without catfights. The middle-aged mom coming from behind, Carla's delightful air, the German man (isn't Stefan German?) with a crush on a lesbian woman, Fabio's charming broken English and flirtatious ways, etc.

And how they all get along and support each other. There is good mojo going on in that house, which I LOVE.

I just wish they cooked better than they apparently do. If they did, this would probably be one of my most favorite seasons.

I think my favs at the moment are Fabio and Carla. I hope Fabio stabilizes, because he seems to be slipping the last couple of weeks. Although I like Carla, I don't really expect her to make it to the end.

I cannot agree with the people who are enjoying Jamie's struggle. I kinda like her. She has done good work in the past, so I am sad to see her getting so inconsistent. She seems to either almost win or crash and burn.

I think Tom and the judges are being too hard on the chefs. It's gotta be hard to only have 3 hours to make food for 350 people. And then throw in that the dish has to represent a theme. Some of these chefs do not have catering experience. Maybe they should consider easier challenges for them to do. JMO.

FORT Regular

Personally I think the theme was to blame for the poor food. Tom wants them to be creative and let loose but they were really hindered by their theme, IMO. I think the food would've been much better.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3253995;
    I think we all predicted Tom's words on Ariane's deviled eggs. Ariane not being in the bottom gives a clue as to how bad Gene, Jamie and Melissa's dishes were!

I am looking forward to the next episode. I assume it will not be shown on Christmas Eve. I love Tivo.
    I figured the reason Ariane was not in the bottom three was because she had immunity. Or maybe even though she just made deviled eggs, they might have actually tasted alright. Jamie's scallops were lukewarm; Gene's sauce didn't taste fishy enough; and Melissa's whatever was too cheesy. Has anyone on past shows ever won immunity in the QF only to end up in the bottom three during the EC?

I wasn't really paying attention to the previews, but there is a show next Wed. night. I think it might be some sort of cook-off with past contestants. It is also an extended show, an hour and fifteen minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3254116;
    I wasn't really paying attention to the previews, but there is a show next Wed. night. I think it might be some sort of cook-off with past contestants. It is also an extended show, an hour and fifteen minutes.
    I think it's a rerun of the holiday All-Star special they ran a year ago. the promo said chefs "from the first 3 seasons" which is what they had last year. My Excite TV listing says it runs 90 minutes.

Useless trivia I just learned while searching: the Holiday Special from last year is the episode that won the show it's James Beard award, that high-falutin' chefs' honor that seems to make them all ooh and ahh.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

I like Jaime. And also don't really agree with the comments about attitude. Yeah, she bristles at judges comments, but so do the most of the others we have seen in B3. Well, unless they are delusional and think their dishes were great no matter what the judges say.

But Jaime is shown working with Ariane, which is something she doesn't have to do. Yeah, she doesn't get along with Leah, but that is just as much Leah as it is Jaime. I think Leah wants to be alpha female and views Jaime as her biggest competitor in that department.

And I challenge anyone here to come in second three times in a row (when it gives you immunity, no less) and not feel even a little bummed.

That said, I am disappointed with her food so far. She seems to do great dishes, but has one thing that ruins the dish. Uncooked Egg, Lukewarm Scallops, etc.

And people with immunity have gone to b3, but that has been as part of team in the bottom. Particularly memorable was when Antonia had immunity and took charge of the challenge that she had no risk in and Jen's girlfriend went home. I think I am remembering it right.

And regarding my comments about Jaime. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, I'm not disputing that. I just don't agree in this case.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3254116;
    I figured the reason Ariane was not in the bottom three was because she had immunity. Or maybe even though she just made deviled eggs, they might have actually tasted alright. Jamie's scallops were lukewarm; Gene's sauce didn't taste fishy enough; and Melissa's whatever was too cheesy. Has anyone on past shows ever won immunity in the QF only to end up in the bottom three during the EC?

Yes, this has happened. It matters not. If the food is bad, you are there. You don't go but you are called out for it.

Everyone thought her eggs tasted good but the big complaint, it is not a dish that is designed to win. The "losers" had problems with execution. If your dish tastes good and there are others who failed in that arena, you are safe. By the skin of your teeth, but safe.

I think the way to go with a theme is to choose something that will knock their socks off, and then work it into the theme. It may be lame or humorous but a fabulous dish trumps all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast