+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jamie - Top Chef: New York

FORT Fogey

Re: Jamie - Top Chef: New York

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3246440;
    Yeah, I do. Tom is honest and tough when it comes time to weighing in on the challenges, but I do think he supports people who have potential in a very quiet way.

I has said a few things here and there that make me think he likes this girl. I don't think he's gushing over her or that he thinks she can/should win, it's just that relative to many of the others, I think he thinks she's pretty good.

But, after your comment, I'm going to have to go read the blogs.
    Tom appreciates talent and Jamie has that so perhaps. I just have not paid close attention to his relationship with them yet.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3232304;
    hmmmm, interesting that her favorite food is Indian. I like Indian food but don't consider it a particularly interesting cuisine. Every restaurant has the exact same menu. It bores me quickly.

Actually, Indian food is an extremely varied cuisine with tons of variation. I do agree that in this country Indian food is often standard north indian restaurant fare and it can be overly spiced, heavy and greasy.

However, south and central indian food is very very different and I would urge you to seek out south indian restaurants in your area. They are hard to find but worth it as they have some of the best, healthiest and subtly spiced and tasty cuisine I have ever eaten. I think Radhika is from gujarat and the food from there is awesome with all kinds of unique vegetables and spices, herbs and flours. It is a very complicated cuisine that takes a lot of practice. The problem is in India the best food is made in the individual households that have recipes passed down from generations and its hard to find authentic regional dishes in restaurants.

I have eaten in Jamie's restaurant Absinthe and I did taste some indian influences in her food. However, I wouldnt say she has mastered the spices and techniques, not by a longshot.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by obtessed4sure;3249988;
    Actually, Indian food is an extremely varied cuisine with tons of variation. I do agree that in this country Indian food is often standard north indian restaurant fare and it can be overly spiced, heavy and greasy.

However, south and central indian food is very very different and I would urge you to seek out south indian restaurants in your area. They are hard to find but worth it as they have some of the best, healthiest and subtly spiced and tasty cuisine I have ever eaten. I think Radhika is from gujarat and the food from there is awesome with all kinds of unique vegetables and spices, herbs and flours. It is a very complicated cuisine that takes a lot of practice. The problem is in India the best food is made in the individual households that have recipes passed down from generations and its hard to find authentic regional dishes in restaurants.

I have eaten in Jamie's restaurant Absinthe and I did taste some indian influences in her food. However, I wouldnt say she has mastered the spices and techniques, not by a longshot.
    I have eaten good Indian food and cooked it too. It is impossible to find in Florida, anywhere near me, however. Well it is hard to find good food here period. It is just not a favorite of mine. I enjoy it from time to time though.

This girl is so defensive, it drives me nuts. I hated the way she just said "OK" to everything the judges had to say about her dish. Grr!

FORT Fogey

She is so going to get busted for using scallops again. Big time. I predict she will say that she wanted to redeem herself from blowing it the last challenge. It won't hold water because she did a scallop in the QF too.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkOtterPop;3254508;
    This girl is so defensive, it drives me nuts. I hated the way she just said "OK" to everything the judges had to say about her dish. Grr!
    Jamie doesn't strike me as defensive at all. I think she's taken the judges criticism very well. My thoughts are that she is very frustrated because she can't seem to win challenges despite landing in the top 3 so often.

Ans, I think she beats herself up when she makes a mistake or loses. I look at her behavior as insecurity rather than defensiveness.

Jexter, I totally agree with you. I think she more shuts down at judges table and beats herself up in her head. And that can be a problem if she is not hearing them and acting on what they are saying.

I'm not sure she will get dinged on scallops this next challenge, IF she does them well. The next challenge is a "do your best" challenge, so if she rocks the scallops it will be fine. If she doesn't...yeah, she will get dinged.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

My experience is, if someone just says "OK" when being offered a critique, it's the same as saying, "I hear you, but I don't consider your point valid so I will just ignore it." I like her, but her mannerisms irk me.

Jamie is her own harshest critic, so when a dish doesn't go off well she gets angry with herself. It doesn't translate well at judge's table, though, so I can see how it would seem she's being defensive.

i think her attitude stinks. and i can't believe she is making more damn scallops. i died in the preview when the italian dude said "this is top chef, not top scallop"

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3254566;
    She is so going to get busted for using scallops again. Big time. I predict she will say that she wanted to redeem herself from blowing it the last challenge. It won't hold water because she did a scallop in the QF too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast