+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Carla - Top Chef: New York

Re: Carla - Top Chef: New York

Her and Fabio make this season for me because they are so funny.
    I totally agree with you and I love their personalities, too. But, isn't this suppose to be a cooking competition? Oh, yeah, maybe it's not. *scratches head*

Kao

It seems like this week the competition was geared more towards her skillset. There's a reason why she picked LA, and it worked; her food came out great.

She needs to follow her instincts a LOT more; unlike some of the other contestants she's able to pinpoint exactly where things go wrong and how to fix them but doesn't totally trust that inner voice. She's also sweet nad incredibly supportive of the others in the house.

FORT Fogey

I agree about Carla and Fabio.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    It was funny when she said that she was always tense during a challenge and that when she saw usually calm Jamie panicking, said "Welcome to my world". Not to mention when she talks with her hands and wide-open eyes (Touchdown!). I'm so glad shen won the last challenge and 2 superbowl tickets to boot!

I don't think it was geared more towards her skillset. It came down to people picking regions they knew so they could come up with a dish that would accurately represent that region. People who just took whatever did themselves a great disservice.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs;3299332;
    I don't think it was geared more towards her skillset. It came down to people picking regions they knew so they could come up with a dish that would accurately represent that region. People who just took whatever did themselves a great disservice.
    I agree. There was no specific skill set required in this one. They could make any dish they wanted that represented the region they choose. They all had a lot of freedom.

I am still scratching my head as to why both Josie and Jeff chose ceviche for Miami. Cuban immediately leaps to my mind.

Quick, Carla! Go make out with Hosea! That's the only way you'll make it to the final four!

FORT Fogey

I'm at the age in life where I get past things waaayyy easier than I did when I was younger.

Carla's food may not be the best, but....it certainly isn't the worst, and she does serve it with love. In determining what makes life enjoyable, a dinner by Carla would do it for me more than a dinner by, let's say Steffan.

There is a family-run bakery near my home with really great stuff. However, it is painful for me to give them my hard-earned money because they are rude and impersonal. It starts my day in a significantly negative of way, and I just don't want to go back.

I'd rather have decent + "love" than great + "a-hole". The former makes my day happier more than the latter, and therefore it is more valuable to me.

I know this is against the grain, but meh. Who cares. I'm too old to deal with dissent, too.

I hope Carla keeps serving her food with love.
    Last edited by Jexter; 02-08-2009 at 04:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3309898;
    I'm at the age in life where I get past things waaayyy easier than I did when I was younger.

Carla's food may not be the best, but....it certainly isn't the worst, and she does serve it with love. In determining what makes life enjoyable, a dinner by Carla would do it for me more than a dinner by, let's say Steffan.

There is a family-run bakery near my home with really great stuff. However, it is painful for me to give them my hard-earned money because they are rude and impersonal. It starts my day in a significantly negative of way, and I just don't want to go back.

I'd rather have decent + "love" than great + "a-hole". The former makes my day happier more than the latter, and therefore it is more valuable to me.

I know this is against the grain, but meh. Who cares. I'm too old to deal with dissent, too.

I totally agree with you about having dinner with Carla than with Steffan. He has such a major attitude..for him, it's all about the win.

I like Carla and hopes she makes it a lot further than the final four. She has consistantly gotten good reviews (of late) with making much harder dishes than say Steffan. She also has a great attitude, which makes her very likeable. When she doesn't win, she doesn't look all sour faced as when Steffan loses a challenge. Go Carla!!!
    Last edited by tvfanz; 02-08-2009 at 08:29 AM. Reason: added a word to make sentence read better

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3309898;

I agree with the sentiment, but how often do you actually speak with the person who cooks for you in a restaurant? If the love ain't showing on the plate then it's not going to be worth my hard-earned dollar. I don't care if the chef is an a$$ as long as his food is good and I don't have to speak with him!

If I want food served only with love then I'll just stay home.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CookieJ;3310504;
    I agree with the sentiment, but how often do you actually speak with the person who cooks for you in a restaurant? If the love ain't showing on the plate then it's not going to be worth my hard-earned dollar. I don't care if the chef is an a$$ as long as his food is good and I don't have to speak with him!

If I want food served only with love then I'll just stay home.
    It's in the air, man (or woman).

+ Reply to Thread