+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Ariane - Top Chef: New York

FORT Newbie

Re: Ariane - Top Chef: New York

I'm the poster who has been to her restaurant several times and I reiterate that it is excellent. The menu is wonderful and I have never been disappointed.

I have met her, and while I don't know her well, I can see that the edit that they are giving her is not reflective of what I've seen when she's in her restaurant. I am not going to try to justify her behavior. We only see a small part of what actually goes on, and who knows what really happened?

That said, I did have that dessert the last time I was there (post-filming but pre-viewing), and it was fantastic. Either she modified it since the fiasco last week, or something went dreadfully wrong.

All I do know is that she is a great chef and a lovely person.

And for the poster who wonders about the quality of food in NJ? There's no need to be insulting. There are some truly wonderful restaurants all over the state. Don't let some ridiculous reality show edit let you think otherwise.

Did anyone else laugh when she was eating a plate of food during the tasting and Jeff had to shout at her to stop eating?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkOtterPop;3242506;
    Did anyone else laugh when she was eating a plate of food during the tasting and Jeff had to shout at her to stop eating?
    I didn't understand what the problem was. Why not eat? They were finished serving and she was hungry.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by suetoo;3241830;
    I'm the poster who has been to her restaurant several times and I reiterate that it is excellent. The menu is wonderful and I have never been disappointed.

I have met her, and while I don't know her well, I can see that the edit that they are giving her is not reflective of what I've seen when she's in her restaurant. I am not going to try to justify her behavior. We only see a small part of what actually goes on, and who knows what really happened?

That said, I did have that dessert the last time I was there (post-filming but pre-viewing), and it was fantastic. Either she modified it since the fiasco last week, or something went dreadfully wrong.

All I do know is that she is a great chef and a lovely person.

And for the poster who wonders about the quality of food in NJ? There's no need to be insulting. There are some truly wonderful restaurants all over the state. Don't let some ridiculous reality show edit let you think otherwise.
    Thanks SueToo! I'm a supporter of Ariane's, and I'm sooo happy to here she is both a gret chef and a great person.

Poor Jersey. It gets such a bad rap and those who dish it out have only been to or know of the bowels of Newark or Atlantic City. The rest of the state is gorgeous. The inland is fairly rural with lots agriculture. Its designation as our country's "Garden State" is fair. In addition, there is a lot of wealth in the state. Only the well-to-do can buy property along the state's north-south oceanside.

And, where Newark and Atlantic City are concerned, there are indeed very nasty neighborhoods within their city boundaries, but there are very lovely - and monied - neighborhoods in them as well. Jast as with any big city.

I'm actually glad people don't know the charms of New Jersey. It just means it stays great for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly;3239368;
    I don't like her at all...she makes that desert at her restaurant? Yuckiness. She is so small town and small minded. I wonder what the rest of the food in NJ is like if her restaurant is 'four star'. After two stints of being in the bottom..you would have thought the judges would have cut her.
    Let's be fair. Her restaurant is in Montclair, New Jersey--a VERY rich, very urbane high-end restaurant town. It HAS to be, because there are approximately five zillion restaurants there and if you aren't good, you usually go under very quickly. That doesn't mean that you can't walk into a bad restaurant there... but it DOES mean if you do, it likely won't be around in another six months. So chances are, if she's got a successful restaurant there, its not crap.

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly;3239368;
    And the lack of traveling? Aren't you a bit curious as to what the rest of the world eats? How do you seek inspiration? How do you innovate?
    That IS annoying, and I agree it did send an alarm bell or two for me. Why? See the next response...

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3239407;
    I went to high school in south Jersey. I can count on one hand how many times I visitied NYC during that time. Who can afford even a single night in a Manhattan hotel + meals + cabs! Then multiply that by endless neighborhoods and venues.
    Well, that may be a very valid point for South Jersey, but her home town of Verona (one town away from where her restaurant is) is only a 25 minute train ride from Manhattan (and not a really expensive train either). No hotel stay is necessary. Her time spent running her restaurant IS a good excuse... except well... she comes off as New York area local who has to have lived in the area most of her life. She must have had opportunities in the past to dig through Manhattan cuisine a bit. As a CIA student, when home on break lets say, it would almost seem like a necessity.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fogey

I have come around to really like her. I don't think she can win but I bet she will go further than I had originally thought.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3242525;
    I didn't understand what the problem was. Why not eat? They were finished serving and she was hungry.
    Umm, perhaps because the judges were still making their rounds? Presentation is everything.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkOtterPop;3242810;
    Umm, perhaps because the judges were still making their rounds? Presentation is everything.
    Ummm, I assumed the service was finished.

It's interesting. Though I like Ariane, I never would have expected her to generate as much controversy as she has. But maybe that's it. I like her, others like her, but then there are those who clearly don't.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

A few thoughts about Ariane . . .

It DID stick out to me when she had several others tasting her dish, mentioned herself that it was too sweet, but then went ahead and served it anyway.

WTH?

I was surprised that when she was cooking the turkey in the Foo Thanksgiving Challenge, she got annoyed/irritated when the other chefs kept askng her about the turkey, was it done, was it cooking, etc?

WTH?

Come ON, Ariane . . .

Please.

I mean, seriously.

She'd been in the bottom two not once, but TWICE in a row. How could anybody NOT possibly question whether or not she'd be able to pull off cooking the turkey? Matter of fact, I'm REALLY surprised that somebody didn't just take over cooking the bird from her, since they were so nervous about her skills. Would that have been right to do? Heck, no. But, given her previous track record, and her Stew Room meltdowns, it would've been totally understandable to me if somebody'd tried, just because they didn't have any faith that she WAS able to get the job done.

ESPECIALLY when they walked in and saw the conditions they'd be producing the meal in.

I think she might last another show or two, but I'd be really surprised if she lasted any longer than that, because I truly don't think she's got the starch to hold herself up in this competition.

JMHO.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread