+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Ariane - Top Chef: New York

FORT Fogey

Re: Ariane - Top Chef: New York

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly;3239368;
    I don't like her at all...she makes that desert at her restaurant? Yuckiness. She is so small town and small minded. I wonder what the rest of the food in NJ is like if her restaurant is 'four star'. After two stints of being in the bottom..you would have thought the judges would have cut her.

And the lack of traveling? Aren't you a bit curious as to what the rest of the world eats? How do you seek inspiration? How do you innovate?
    Who has money or time to travel when you are raising kids and opening a restaurant?!

I went to high school in south Jersey. I can count on one hand how many times I visitied NYC during that time. Who can afford even a single night in a Manhattan hotel + meals + cabs! Then multiply that by endless neighborhoods and venues.

It's easy for the judges to say what they did but it just may not be practical given Ariane's other responsibilities.

She may have all the desire and inspiration in the world but without the cash, it ain't gonna happen. As far as I can see, she's stuck.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3239407;
    Who has money or time to travel when you are raising kids and opening a restaurant?!

I went to high school in south Jersey. I can count on one hand how many times I visitied NYC during that time. Who can afford even a single night in a Manhattan hotel + meals + cabs! Then multiply that by endless neighborhoods and venues.

It's easy for the judges to say what they did but it just may not be practical given Ariane's other responsibilities.

She may have all the desire and inspiration in the world but without the cash, it ain't gonna happen. As far as I can see, she's stuck.
    I agree. I think that is a contributing factor as to why so many celebrity chefs are male. They put career first and got on the road at a young age with a backpack. Or after they aquired some success took a year off to travel. That is why Tiffany was so dashed she did not win. She wanted to use the prize money to travel and learn more about food in different countries. Opening a restaurant was not on her list, yet.

I see your point, however I do know man and wife teams that have their own restaurants that take the summer off with their kids travel. And I just think it's part of your job, like a business trip...she must make some money?

You can also do nyc on the cheap, take busses and subways and go to Queens for some authentic meals. It doesn't all have to be Per Se and Le Brendidan. Take the kids for an outing. On the other hand, owning a restaurant isn't really a job, it's a consuming life.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly;3239640;
    I see your point, however I do know man and wife teams that have their own restaurants that take the summer off with their kids travel. And I just think it's part of your job, like a business trip...she must make some money?

You can also do nyc on the cheap, take busses and subways and go to Queens for some authentic meals. It doesn't all have to be Per Se and Le Brendidan. Take the kids for an outing. On the other hand, owning a restaurant isn't really a job, it's a consuming life.
    I bet summer is their busiest season. The profit margin in the restaurant business is not huge and few could survive by closing down for any length of time, never mind it being your sole income.

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly;3239368;
    After two stints of being in the bottom..you would have thought the judges would have cut her.
    The producers must sense reality tv gold in her, because she perfectly fits the pattern of someone kept for a narrative arc. I predict next week she'll be in the middle, and maybe the next week after that. In the meantime, she will engage in some twisted pychodrama with a hot-headed, arrogant contestant, and the judges will praise her food and she'll pull off the unthinkable and win a challenge. Then with the air of invincibility surrounding her, she'll stick around a bit longer until she is arbitrarily cut on a technicality.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

FORT Fogey

I'd love to know the viewer demographic on these reality shows. Ariane = my demographic, and I am rooting for her (although I know she won't win).

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3240510;
    I'd love to know the viewer demographic on these reality shows. Ariane = my demographic, and I am rooting for her (although I know she won't win).
    I am a mother of two boys and she is my demographic but I am not rooting for her. Cooking is my creative hobby and I look for more in this show. I have made many dishes from this show and look for things I would not have thought of or totally unfamiliar. Ilians Fideos and Clams is fabulous, just so you know where to go first!

Quote Originally Posted by corprip;3240189;
    The producers must sense reality tv gold in her, because she perfectly fits the pattern of someone kept for a narrative arc. I predict next week she'll be in the middle, and maybe the next week after that. In the meantime, she will engage in some twisted pychodrama with a hot-headed, arrogant contestant, and the judges will praise her food and she'll pull off the unthinkable and win a challenge. Then with the air of invincibility surrounding her, she'll stick around a bit longer until she is arbitrarily cut on a technicality.
    So, she's Mia from S2? Sounds about right, except I loved Mia, and Ariane annoys me like chalk on a blackboard.

I just couldn't stand her this past week when she knew her dessert was too sweet, and she even said to the camera that she probably should have remade it, but oh well, it's what she made and whatever. (paraphrasing)

She's not competitive or innovative enough to last on this show. I'd prefer she was gone sooner than later, when better chefs would be leaving instead of her.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by corprip;3240189;
    I believe it when Tom says they judge the dish infront of them. The judges are unaware of the personalities other than what they see before them and do not judge that. I do not believe this show is staged. Enough footage is gathered to fill in the story after the results are known.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3240534;
    I am a mother of two boys and she is my demographic but I am not rooting for her. Cooking is my creative hobby and I look for more in this show. I have made many dishes from this show and look for things I would not have thought of or totally unfamiliar. Ilians Fideos and Clams is fabulous, just so you know where to go first!
    Well, I'm a big fat wannabe where creative endeavors are concerned. I can't do any of them well but wish desperately that I could.

Cooking is no exception. Microwaved burritos are my specialty.

Still, I know what I like and I know when a chef is being new and innovative. I agree that Ariane is neither. I have no reason to root for her other than she's an underdog and I relate to her situation.

I'd love her to "wow" us a time or two before she takes off.
    Last edited by Jexter; 11-25-2008 at 10:10 PM.

+ Reply to Thread