+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top Chef 4/9 Discussion **Spoilers**

Kao

Re: Top Chef 4/9 Discussion **Spoilers**

LOL, I would have been mad too, especially since she fought everyone all steps of the way and bitched all the time she was making the bacon. I'm glad they all got over themselves because despite not being able to pull it together at first they ended up with a splendid dish. I think in group challeges you NEED to have strong personalities on the teams even though there might be friction because then people aren't afraid to veto things they feel aren't working and forces people to think together rather than just going along for the ride.

After watching it again, Dale didn't blow up at Lisa over her winning the challenge. He blew up at her because she had been cursing, slamming things about, etc all day but everyone recognized her need to vent and didn't disturb her about it, even though she went off about someone else's plugs being in their section. But when Antonia and Spike were getting into it over Zoi and Dale got involved because he felt like Spike was in the wrong (and was telling him so) she had the audacity to tell him to shut up and stay out of it.

I'm thinking the booze, long wait and people being upset and Zoi leaving that contributed to everyone at each other's throats, especially since next week Dale is talking to Lisa more calmly about her attitude being a killjoy and they both seemed to be pretty mellow.

IMO he right person went home because Zoi has irked me since last week when she showed what a poor loser she was. Her partner seems to be more mellow , laid back and a good sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Kao;2908808;
    LOL, I would have been mad too, especially since she fought everyone all steps of the way and bitched all the time she was making the bacon. I'm glad they all got over themselves because despite not being able to pull it together at first they ended up with a splendid dish. I think in group challeges you NEED to have strong personalities on the teams even though there might be friction because then people aren't afraid to veto things they feel aren't working and forces people to think together rather than just going along for the ride.

After watching it again, Dale didn't blow up at Lisa over her winning the challenge. He blew up at her because she had been cursing, slamming things about, etc all day but everyone recognized her need to vent and didn't disturb her about it, even though she went off about someone else's plugs being in their section. But when Antonia and Spike were getting into it over Zoi and Dale got involved because he felt like Spike was in the wrong (and was telling him so) she had the audacity to tell him to shut up and stay out of it.

I'm thinking the booze, long wait and people being upset and Zoi leaving that contributed to everyone at each other's throats, especially since next week Dale is talking to Lisa more calmly about her attitude being a killjoy and they both seemed to be pretty mellow.

IMO he right person went home because Zoi has irked me since last week when she showed what a poor loser she was. Her partner seems to be more mellow , laid back and a good sport.
    Hey, Kao!

In my earlier post, I didn't really drag Lisa into the TC Hall of Shame, and shame on me for not doing so!

Trust me, I didn't think she was any prize, either. And I sure as hell don't blame Dale for being mad about how she was behaving, either. Sure, their team won, in the end. But I was observing how Dale had been simmering while working with Lisa for almost the entire time (and kept his mouth shut about it), then appeared to me to boil completely over when Ming announced her as the winner. When Dale went off on her, he put the focus then on her pretty much all-day nasty behavior. But I still think it was her individual win that was the straw that broke the camel's back, for him. I don't think he could --- or would --- very well admit openly (and be able to save face, anyway) that even though he'd been pissed at her all day, he'd finally had enough of her when she won that trip to Italy. I think he was jealous of that and viewed it as a personal insult to him ("For cooking BACON?"). And God knows, she'd given him more than enough ammunition to be mad, what with how she'd behaved all day, in general. So, it seemed to me like her all-day behavior wound up being what he dragged her out on Front Street for, in the back room, instead of saying then that he was ticked and jealous that she won that Italy trip (which I think he felt he deserved, but wouldn't bring up back there).

Matter of fact, I'm surprised one of the chefs just didn't tell her to knock it off in the kitchen, earlier, she'd acted such a jerk. Yeah, I caught when she was cursing and slamming things around because somebody left something in their work area, too. I mean, she was behaving like an infected boil on the rear end of Life in the kitchen, and nobody called her out on it then.

Same song, fourth verse. Not necessary.

And I do agree with you about having strong personalities involved in a team effort. If everybody's a wet noodle, nothing's going to get done.

And as for Jennifer telling Dale to shut up and stay out of it . . .

Well, I don't think Jennifer could've run through that particular door if Dale hadn't opened it. Sure, Spike is an ass and was acting like it. But at that point, what I remember (and I could be wrong) is that Jennifer and Spike were having words. Regardless of Dale telling Spike he was in the wrong, he didn't actively have a dog in that particular fight (far as I could tell/remember, and I could be wrong), so maybe he should've kept silent then and addressed Spike privately about it later on.

For an example . . . We ALL know, by now, that Andrew does not have ANY problem running his mouth. Far as I know, he was back there, too, when this went down. I could be wrong, but I don't seem to remember him opening HIS mouth to tell Spike OR Jennifer that either of them was wrong. And he could have.

I DO think it was funny that Spike told Antonia she'd never said word one about making soup for the team, 'cause I seem to remember her saying at least twice, I think, that she wasn't crazy about the idea, but she'd do it (or words to that effect, anyway).

As for the tiredness, booze, etc., I acknowledged all of that and factored it in at the top of what I said earlier, so . . .
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Does anyone remember if they had booze last year in the stew room? Other than Howie throwing everyone & the bus under said bus (except Joey, he got thrown OVER the bus), I don't recall any major fighting.

And other than Andrew shooting his mouth off during the block party deliberations, I don't recall any other times Andrew has run off at the mouth. His "issue" with Richard during episode 1 seemed to be more griping at the camera. And they've all done that. Generally I find Andrew more geek, than attitude.

Can you clarify what you mean? I think Spike & Dale are more apt to do that.

I'll give it my best shot, hutchlover.

Andrew shooting his mouth off at the block party deliberations is exactly what I was referring to. Tom's eyebrows shot straight up when he said "This is MY house! You're going to have to call Security to get me outta here!", and I just about died laughing. JMHO, but I don't think that was too bright. That, IMHO, was a real biggie.

Using logic, if he'd pop off with what he did in a situation like that, I personally see no reason at all to expect that he would NOT throw his two cents into a situation that he completely, totally is NOT involved with. Matter of fact, some in this thread have even suggested that he might possibly have Tourette's. Which (Who knows?) he just may, or he may not.

True, he seems to have cleaned up his mouth a LOT, but I also sense from him, still, a manic, loose cannon kind of vibe. And because I do, his name was the first one that popped into my head in my illustration, which basically had to do with there being others present when the verbal smackdowns were going on, but nobody else jumping in to help fight the lion, except for Dale, that I remember seeing.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Thanks for clarifying. I thought maybe I missed something.

but I also sense from him, still, a manic, loose cannon kind of vibe.
    I agree with the manic bit. I think he tends to be ADHD. Only because I see alot of resemblence to how my son reacts to things. (Interstingly enough they have the same name.) Off the cuff, with little regard to how he appears to others. And more prone to use profanity without realizing it (though TC Andrew does seem to have toned that down). Some of the most creative people are ADHD.

I see Spike more of a loose canon though. Even during the block party challenge, Spike came off more arrogant and entitled than Andrew did. Only Spike's was filtered better.

Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;2909969;
    Thanks for clarifying. I thought maybe I missed something.

I agree with the manic bit. I think he tends to be ADHD. Only because I see alot of resemblence to how my son reacts to things. (Interstingly enough they have the same name.) Off the cuff, with little regard to how he appears to others. And more prone to use profanity without realizing it (though TC Andrew does seem to have toned that down). Some of the most creative people are ADHD.

I see Spike more of a loose canon though. Even during the block party challenge, Spike came off more arrogant and entitled than Andrew did. Only Spike's was filtered better.
    OK. I see what you're saying, and it makes a lot of sense.

Good call!

I just got around to watching Wednesday's episode.

Bravo should really rename the show "Top Sh**", in honor of all the swearing that goes on.

Obviously TPTB think swearing is cool and hip, and that we naturally want to see as much of it as possible. And not only that, they don't make any serious effort to bleep much, do they? Even if I couldn't see the TV, I'm pretty sure I could make out what "sh**" is. Or did it sound more like "sh*t"?

Really, the more in love with itself Bravo becomes, the more I find myself channel surfing elsewhere.

As for the rest of the episode--I think Richard would have gone home, had he not already proven himself to be a talented chef. I imagine that the judges were grateful that the diners' comment cards gave them justification for sending Zoi home instead.

I finally saw the whole episode start-to-finish last night. Really odd editing to this episode!

- Lisa decides to cook bacon!
    - Lisa flails and curses around the kitchen!
    - Lisa curses some more that it didn't come out right!
    - Ming thinks the bacon is genius and she wins!

Just kind of freaky...

Also, now that I saw what got Spike so mad, I can almost understand why he was so irked after judge's table. On the other hand, it's his own fault for being so agreeable with someone who had immunity...he's kind of a turd no matter how you slice it.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Please call me crazy.But I love these guys' personalities.It just so fun to watch despite how angry they were.Those acts really shine through on the TV,hands down.

Regarding the swearing, Tom says in his blog that most chefs are more akin to longshoremen (or women), but he still doesn't excuse their language.

It seems like the men have calmed down the swearing, and now the women (esp Jen & Lisa) are using it more.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast