+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Top Chef 4/2 Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Re: 4/2 Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Can anyone keep these people straight??? They all look alike to me or maybe I had a stroke. Nobody I really like (except Mark's hair) and nobody I really hate. That combo does not make for a good reality show.

Now that I really think about it Richard and Mark standout as chefs, as the ones to beat.

Andrew, Spike and Lisa have attitude with Spike having loads of it. In Order of highest to lowest: Spike, Andrew, Dale and Lisa. (I just included Dale).

The others mmm I remember Stephanie and Zoe and the rest just blur.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I like how there's not a lot of drama on the show (so far). Hopefully it's all about talent and making me hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaigirl90;2893903;
    I like how there's not a lot of drama on the show (so far). Hopefully it's all about talent and making me hungry.
    There really wasn't alot last year either, except in the beginning when Howie & Joey went off on each other. And Howie calling Sara N. the "Baby". Actually the only drama was Howie.

The complaining about Hung not cleaning up after himself, well, if that's all they had for drama, it made for bad tv, but good professionalism.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by tammommy;2892415;
    Ryan....that was his name, the guy paired with Mark!

We're four episodes into the season, and I can;t remember the guys name, which is not a good sign for him! He just don't do anything that make me remember him, expect complain about being paired with Mark..
    Ryan's first movie suggestion fits his own persona to a Tee: Dumb and Dumber.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ness;2891406;
    Count me in for giving Manuel props on his exit. He was so, so adult, elegant and classy. I know this sounds crazy, being said about someone's exit from a show, but that was beautiful to watch.

About Spike . . .

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think Spike sold Manuel down the river by pushing his Vietnamese cooking skills to him. If there was any scintilla of Spike selling Manuel down the river, I think it was when he went into his: "Oh, I'm not gonna do that!" noble act when Padma asked who he thought should go. Please. I mean, dude, you just got your ass handed to you on a platter. Step up. Man up. Say you screwed up. Check the Pollyanna act at the door and just fall on your sword and be done with it, for God's sake. Don't try to make yourself look big and magnanimous by trying to cover for the "weak sister" in your duo.

As for said "weak sister" . . .

More likely, admire Manuel though I did, I think Manuel sold HIMSELF down the river by just rolling over, giving Spike his ill-conceived reins to their course of the meal, and not posing questions, seeming to offer suggestions, directions, ANYTHING. This made him come across as looking like a wuss, and let's face it, a wuss isn't going to be very effective in running a kitchen or restaurant. Sure, Manuel might've not been a Vietnamese expert --- and Spike, allegedly, was --- and Manuel truly, honestly wanted to learn about Vitenamese cooking. But by not being able to stand up and say he'd really thrown anything into the mix at all, the panel perceived him as being a wet noodle, so to speak, and sent him packing because of that.

Manuel made himself appear to be the lesser of two evils. And perhaps, classy or not, in this instance, he was.

Don't get me wrong, though . . . I STILL want Spike gone, too! I absolutely agree with you that through this challenge, especially, he showed himself up for what he was . . . A lot of mouth and attitude, but with no real talent to back it up. In his case, talk is DEFINITELY cheap.
    There is much at the judges table that is edited out. I wonder if Manuel ever mentioned to the judges that he initially wanted to use "Like Water For Chocolate" as the movie theme for this challenge. "Like Water For Chocolate" was the 1993 Foreign Film of the Year and involved a girl expressing herself through her cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo1;2895560;
    There is much at the judges table that is edited out. I wonder if Manuel ever mentioned to the judges that he initially wanted to use "Like Water For Chocolate" as the movie theme for this challenge. "Like Water For Chocolate" was the 1993 Foreign Film of the Year and involved a girl expressing herself through her cooking.
    REALLY good question, gizmo!

*Sighs*

I HOPE he did . . . 'Cause if he didn't, oh boy.

Based on what they showed, he just appeared to be such a wuss, such a follower and not a leader.

Or even a real CONTRIBUTOR.

Never saw it, but based on your description, it would've been a darn sight better to use "Like Water for Chocolate" than "Good Morning, Vietnam!"!

Still, I kind of can't help but think the judges thought he was a cooked noodle.
    Last edited by ness; 04-04-2008 at 08:32 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Like Water For Chocolate is a great movie.I highly recommend it.Don't watch it if you're on a diet though cause you'll want to pig out afterwards.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by princessKIM;2896402;
    Like Water For Chocolate is a great movie.I highly recommend it.Don't watch it if you're on a diet though cause you'll want to pig out afterwards.
    I agree, beautiful, wonderful movie. I think it wuld have been perfect for this type of event be it on a TV sow or not.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by princessKIM;2896402;
    Also the movie "Chocolate" with Johnny Depp and the French Actress, Isabelle Hubert (I think) who opens a Chocolate shoppe in a small French village and restores romance to the residents.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast