+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Top Chef 4/2 Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

FORT Fogey

Re: 4/2 Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

All the food was excellent or good except for one dish. That is amazing in a group this large. We are in for an enjoyable season.

The leaders are breaking away from the pack. Spike and Ryan will be eliminated soon with Zoi not far behind. The Aussie continues to think on his feet; again we see his ingredients change at the last minute. And what a creative movie choice!

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;2891349;
    All the food was excellent or good except for one dish. That is amazing in a group this large. We are in for an enjoyable season.

The leaders are breaking away from the pack. Spike and Ryan will be eliminated soon with Zoi not far behind. The Aussie continues to think on his feet; again we see his ingredients change at the last minute. And what a creative movie choice!
    I don't think Nikki will be around much longer. So far she has managed to stay alive by being on the right team.

Quote Originally Posted by Poohtz;2890937;
    You have a very good point, Spike was the expert with that type of food, if it wasn't any good and it was his idea, he should have been the one to go.

It bothers me that they act like a chef has to be a bad _ _ _, to make it in the food world.
    It did seem like Spike screwed up this challenge. But I have to say, I like that when Padma asked him which one should go home, he said "I don't play that way." One of my biggest pet peeves on these shows is when judges try to do that to turn contestants against each other, and the contestants always "throw each other under the bus." Spike could have easily said that while he conceptualized the dish, he really should have had more input from Manuel, but he left it in the judges' hands. Made me think a smidgen more of him.

Quote Originally Posted by nliedel;2891322;
    Okay, Rick Bayless said, in his blog, that Ryan had worked for him for about two days and not made a favorable impression. Then Bouloud says he worked for him and Ryan said it was not his thing. Wonder how many other guest judges are going to be former two minute employers of Ryan? It really killed all liking for me, of Ryan.
    I was thinking the same thing. Ted said he had "a new favorite dish" when Mark and Ryan brought theirs out; I am really inclined to think it was mostly Mark. He just strikes me as incredibly talented; the only time he has screwed up so far was when he did that overly pretentious dish for the first EC.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;2890921;
    Manuel did indeed exhibit total class in his exit. And Spike basically sold him down the river by pushing his Vietnamese skills, when the idea he had was lame. The movie Good Morning Vietnam was a lazy choice simply because the word "Vietnam" was in it. And he couldn't even take the lead to execute a decent dish for all his "mad skills"...

Spike can't leave too soon for me. He's more about attitude than talent IMO.
    Count me in for giving Manuel props on his exit. He was so, so adult, elegant and classy. I know this sounds crazy, being said about someone's exit from a show, but that was beautiful to watch.

About Spike . . .

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think Spike sold Manuel down the river by pushing his Vietnamese cooking skills to him. If there was any scintilla of Spike selling Manuel down the river, I think it was when he went into his: "Oh, I'm not gonna do that!" noble act when Padma asked who he thought should go. Please. I mean, dude, you just got your ass handed to you on a platter. Step up. Man up. Say you screwed up. Check the Pollyanna act at the door and just fall on your sword and be done with it, for God's sake. Don't try to make yourself look big and magnanimous by trying to cover for the "weak sister" in your duo.

As for said "weak sister" . . .

More likely, admire Manuel though I did, I think Manuel sold HIMSELF down the river by just rolling over, giving Spike his ill-conceived reins to their course of the meal, and not posing questions, seeming to offer suggestions, directions, ANYTHING. This made him come across as looking like a wuss, and let's face it, a wuss isn't going to be very effective in running a kitchen or restaurant. Sure, Manuel might've not been a Vietnamese expert --- and Spike, allegedly, was --- and Manuel truly, honestly wanted to learn about Vitenamese cooking. But by not being able to stand up and say he'd really thrown anything into the mix at all, the panel perceived him as being a wet noodle, so to speak, and sent him packing because of that.

Manuel made himself appear to be the lesser of two evils. And perhaps, classy or not, in this instance, he was.

Don't get me wrong, though . . . I STILL want Spike gone, too! I absolutely agree with you that through this challenge, especially, he showed himself up for what he was . . . A lot of mouth and attitude, but with no real talent to back it up. In his case, talk is DEFINITELY cheap.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo1;2891371;
    I don't think Nikki will be around much longer. So far she has managed to stay alive by being on the right team.
    Nikki will become a one note with her pasta dishes. She has done them well but they are looking for innovative.

Well, last night's episode did provide me a list of people I can hate for the rest of the season.

Ryan - big mouth, haven't seen much as far as food from him.

Spike - what an ego, his idea basicially sent Manuel home and as Tom C said he doesn't get that his summer roll was not good. Overentitled by far.

Lisa - her expression during the quickfire challenge and saying "that's not my style". I don't like her attitude yet she did well in the elimination challenge.

Now for the others:

Manuel - a nonentity, felt he was totally under the radar for all the episodes he was on and none of his food seemed to impress anyone.

Picks:

Richard - seems to be the chef to beat this cycle. One thing thought he was totally under the radar episode 1 and then just appeared ep 2. Doe he not look a bit effeminate? I kept confusing him with Zoe's girlfriend.

OK with:

Andrew - interesting personality, at times so uptight I think he will burst very painful for him and painful to watch as a viewer.

Dale - was a standout this ep but thankfully does not have Hung's attitude and arrogance, or at least does not show it.

As for the rest they are sorta floating in the middle for me.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I found it interesting that Team Willy Wonka used white chocolate the day after a dish with the same ingredient had Gordan Ramsy's head in the trash on Hell's Kitchen.

I thought it sounded like a "recipe for disaster."
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2891439;
    Dale - was a standout this ep but thankfully does not have Hung's attitude and arrogance, or at least does not show it.
    Oh, he's shown it alright. Mostly in his interview clips. And if you caught the teaser for next week at the end of last night's episode, you see him go off on somebody like Ilan went off on Marcel with his "go cry in the corner" speech.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;2891349;

Ryan....that was his name, the guy paired with Mark!

We're four episodes into the season, and I can;t remember the guys name, which is not a good sign for him! He just don't do anything that make me remember him, expect complain about being paired with Mark..
    "That which does not kill us, only makes us stronger"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast