+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 3/26 Discussion Thread **spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 3/26 Discussion Thread **spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo1;2879384;
    You don't have to "buy it" if you don't want to. That's your right. However, Lee Anne was very specific in her blog when referring to the lady whose pantry looked like a mini-grocery store or food for a "bomb shelter" to quote Lee Anne . Lee Anne said she had no hand in stocking that lady's pantry. I would assume that statement applied to the entire neighborhood.

Lee Anne did mention that production had to go door-to-door and find out which houses would agree to having some strange chefs come into their homes and raid their refrigerators and pantries. Those houses that agreed to participate probably made sure that their pantries were well-stocked but with what they, the residents, wanted to buy. Lee Anne's only stipulation to the residents was that all of the food available to the chefs be prepackaged and fresh meat or produce. The last thing Top Chef would need would be a case of dysentery or food poisoning.
    I stand corrected. I went back and read her blog carefully and I agree with you.

However, Lee Anne was very specific in her blog when referring to the lady whose pantry looked like a mini-grocery store or food for a "bomb shelter" to quote Lee Anne .
    My pantry is like that. I have an actual pantry room! All eight shelves are filled with canned & boxed goods, even extra potatoes & sugar; as well as extra personal items like shampoo, toothbrushes, soap, etc. We also put our big cooking supplies there, like the breadmaker & crock pot. Since it's in the basement, I don't have to worry about anything getting mildewy or spoiling.

I never thought about it being like a bomb shelter. I just stock extra supplies in case. (And since we just found out that hubby lost his job effective 8/1/08, it's a good idea.)

I just watched the ep again. Padma explained at the beginning of the challenge that the neighbors' pantries were stocked with the ingredients they had already bought in anticipation of cooking for the block party themselves. Whether or not their shopping lists were coached or amended by the producers, who knows. But at least it's a logical explanation for the overstocked pantries.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Wonder if the neighbors got any financial compensation for the food? Seems like they would.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

There was some serious product placement going on, so I'm certain at least some items were planted. Examples: KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce, and Hidden Valley ranch. One of the chefs even made it a point to call the BBQ sauce by name and show it to the camera, while the ranch was perfectly placed in the refrigerator to face the camera when the door was opened. The product placements are a bit over the top snd awkward, like when Padma told everyone to get in their Highlanders.

Hey, does anyone know who that guest chef is next week? I thought it was Jean-Georges, but I was wrong.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Daniel Bouloud is the guest judge, and Richard Roeper and Aisha Tyler are dinner guests.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Regular

Haven't they in the past asked the guests' opinions and chosen the winner on that basis? Perhaps I'm getting it mixed up with Food Network's Next Star show, but I think that makes sense. The judges or a guest judge choses the winner every week, so why not mix it up? I found Ted Allen's "dumbed down" remark lame. Food is food, there's no dumbing down in food, if you enjoy it, it's all that matters. Or perhaps he thinks making food with names the average person has never even heard of is "smart". Sorry, I would never even eat half the stuff these contestants prepare.
    Zoi-- ha ha.. her rants sounded as if she was too good to prepare pasta salad. However, the verdict is: the girl can't even prepare a decent pasta salad. Whoops!

"Dumbed down" is just another way of saying "lowest common denominator," to which Ted thought the Red Team was catering. He actually said it was "condescending," so in his opinion it was the chefs insulting the neighbors. I completely get what he was saying, because the Red Team was approaching the challenge from a point of view that the neighborhood simply wouldn't get haute cuisine, and in order to make them happy, they had to serve stereotypical Americana, i.e. corndogs, sliders, etc. There was no real risk taking, and what they did apparently wasn't done well.

Daniel Bouloud is the guest judge, and Richard Roeper and Aisha Tyler are dinner guests.
    Ahhhh! Thank you. I knew I'd seen him before, but for some crazy ass reason I always think of someone else when I think of Daniel Bouloud.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Quote Originally Posted by corprip;2881504;
    "Dumbed down" is just another way of saying "lowest common denominator," to which Ted thought the Red Team was catering. He actually said it was "condescending," so in his opinion it was the chefs insulting the neighbors. I completely get what he was saying, because the Red Team was approaching the challenge from a point of view that the neighborhood simply wouldn't get haute cuisine, and in order to make them happy, they had to serve stereotypical Americana, i.e. corndogs, sliders, etc. There was no real risk taking, and what they did apparently wasn't done well.
    I did sort of feel for the Red Team, though, in that Padma made a point of saying they'd be cooking for 70 kids. I thought the s'mores idea was genius and showed they were thinking of their audience. I would have been dazzled by that! I also don't think the judges necessarily had a hard time with choices like sliders or skewers; it was more that some of the food was so bad (the pasta salad, the corn dogs) that assuming the neighbors wouldn't care was insulting to their guests, not the food choices themselves.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345