+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 3/26 Discussion Thread **spoilers**

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: 3/26 Discussion Thread **spoilers**

Despite Richard's constant insistence that his team was going "up scale" there really wasn't that much up scale about it. The mac & cheese was on that team, as was all the BBQ--both of which are pretty much common foods. Richard would have had his paella spared from some criticism if he'd have just called it a jambalaya, which is closer to being the proper description (and is a typical fair/party/fundraiser food where I live, so I'm not sold on the up-scale nature of his dish either).

I'm still not too sure what was "dumbed down" on the losing team. Yeah, the pasta salad was unseasoned, but Tom specifically said the bean salad was good. Chicken Waldorf salad--while perhaps watery--is more of a concept than mac & cheese. Dale's Asian barbecue with pineapple looked fairly sophisticated and tasty, not to mention the individual s'mores were loved by Ted and Padma and provided entertainment.

I came away from the episode thinking Nikki should have been booted for her mac & cheese or Zoi for the pasta salad.

Andrew must go, Go Andrew, go! As my dearly departed gran would have said, "He's a real horse's patoot!"

Andrew IS a horse's patoot, but a talented one. The head judge seemed pretty exasperated about his remarks at the judge's table, but whether the dish he personally prepared was good or they want to keep him for drama or they think he is way talented... he didn't seem to be on the chopping block at all. At some point though being a genius in the kitchen isn't enough, if you can't keep support staff because you're a jerk.

Here's my problem with Zoe. She laments getting stuck with the pasta salad because it isn't showy enough. She says she CAN'T win with it, but she came close to losing with it. With the amount of talent she supposedly has I should think that she should have been able to come up with a fabulous pasta salad.

The team that said they wanted to do basic block party food, but kick it up a notch had the best starting idea. At this point I can't remember what teams prepared what anymore. Are any of the chefs caterers this season? If yes, they should have spoken up about time delays and transportation issues.

This is Mac n Cheese girl's second big miss challenge. The paella was a poor choice made solely for the judges rather than the party goers.

Zoe gets on my last nerve - what a whiner.

Stephanie seemed to get the highest praise from the crowd, so I don't have a problem with her winning. She did make wontons to go with the fruit, so technically she did bake/cook her dish. Harold's finale involved nothing baked/friend/cooked if I remember correctly.

I'd love to go to a block party with high-end foods. The usual street fair gets pretty boring after a while.

If you havent' read phonegirrl's fab recap of this episode, go now. It's a hoot.
    ~~~~

I can't think when I have to think. ~~moi~~

Andrew must go, Go Andrew, go!
    Andrew must stay! Andrew must stay!

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2873443;
    Here's my problem with Zoe. She laments getting stuck with the pasta salad because it isn't showy enough. She says she CAN'T win with it, but she came close to losing with it. With the amount of talent she supposedly has I should think that she should have been able to come up with a fabulous pasta salad.
    I make a killer pasta pesto salad for potlucks that everyone is always crazy about. There is not excuse for a professional chef to do less.

I think Andrew and Spike are wound a bit tight. Wonder who will crack first?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Newbie

I was surprised Zoi didn't get the boot w that bad pasta. I cannot believe that a pro chef cannot make a delicious pasta salad. Probably most of us amateur cooks here have a pretty tasty pasta salad. Of course, a soggy corn dog is not a good thing either.

This is just speculation, but it's possible the producers want to keep the "couple" intrigue going for a while. More than possible, probably likely. It could have been the consideration that tipped the scales.

Kay

Quote Originally Posted by kayskate;2875646;
    I was surprised Zoi didn't get the boot w that bad pasta. I cannot believe that a pro chef cannot make a delicious pasta salad. Probably most of us amateur cooks here have a pretty tasty pasta salad. Of course, a soggy corn dog is not a good thing either.

This is just speculation, but it's possible the producers want to keep the "couple" intrigue going for a while. More than possible, probably likely. It could have been the consideration that tipped the scales. Kay
    My thought is that Eric has always been on the bottom for most of the challenges. And his presentation was consistently sloppy. Zoi was one of their favorites last week (the meatball), so I think they considered that overall Zoi was more talented.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;2874747;
    I make a killer pasta pesto salad for potlucks that everyone is always crazy about. There is not excuse for a professional chef to do less.
    Id love to know how to make that!
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast