+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 3/26 Discussion Thread **spoilers**

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: 3/26 Discussion Thread **spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2872191;
    Will the dish hold up if it needs to be transported?
    Will the dish hold up for the length of time required between completion and eating?
    Those two are the ones that drive me nuts the most. A loooong time ago, my mother used to do some catering. Nothing full time, mostly for school stuff, but it was a paying gig (though there were always budget issues because the school system didn't want to part with much money). And even though we only had to go a mile, those were her top two considerations after the budget--will the food hold up on the way there and sitting out during the event. How these trained folks do not even let these considerations flutter in front of their eyes amazes me.

Nikki should've been kicked off automatically for even thinking about mac'n'cheese in this type of event!

Honestly I thought Red Team had the right idea to consider the kids in their menu planning. Other than the cookie, the Blue Team didn't even seem to think of that (lavendar in cooler? Paella?) And I thought Ted was way off when he said Red "dumbed down" the food.

The judging tonight made me very uncomfortable, but I have to say I don't completely blame Andrew and Spike for speaking up. The neighborhood folks seemed to love the sliders, skewers, s'mores, and tacos, so despite the failed dishes it was sort of obnoxious to make it seem like they were all horrible (this may have been an editing issue). But man, so uncomfortable!
    Still, I'm glad this is a show in which people are allowed to defend their dishes, and not something like ANTM where the contestants have to constantly kiss up to the judges.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by texasgal26;2872381;
    The judging tonight made me very uncomfortable, but I have to say I don't completely blame Andrew and Spike for speaking up. The neighborhood folks seemed to love the sliders, skewers, s'mores, and tacos, so despite the failed dishes it was sort of obnoxious to make it seem like they were all horrible (this may have been an editing issue). But man, so uncomfortable!
    Still, I'm glad this is a show in which people are allowed to defend their dishes, and not something like ANTM where the contestants have to constantly kiss up to the judges.
    Some of the dishes didn't take into consideration the 90 degree temperature the day of the block party. Mac n cheese and the Paella dish are not hot weather food. In any case, the right person went home this time.

Hey, its 90 degrees, we have an hour long trip by van, I think I'll make me some corn dogs to take along. What an idiot. He definitely deserved to go.

Noooo! Not Eric. Grrrr...

This challenge sucked, because the "winning" team also had the worst dish (the mac & cheese) and had almost as many off dishes as the "losing" team, so I don't see how the other team should have to suffer because they lost by a hair.

They should have sent someone home from the entire pool, not just the losing team. Eric screwed up, but he wasn't the only one by far.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

Yes, I too, knew immediately what foods would fail miserably. And the myth about mayo continues, even at this level. It contains vinegar and is a good preservative and the perfect choice for a dressing at a picnic. Waldorf salad with chicken and oil? Oh, yuck. Why not pick some tried and true dishes and kick them up a knotch. Potato salad is a favorite and easy to doctor.

I have made mac and cheese for a summer buffet that does well. I make it firm on purpose and cut it in squares more like a kugel. It is delicious and always a favorite. I do the same with an altered version of corn pudding.

Andrew is going to be difficult to watch; he is too tightly wound for 10pm viewing!

I bought the Top Chef cookbook and reccomend it. Ilan's fideos with clams and Daves winning Mac and Cheese are excellent. I skipped the truffles in the Mac and Cheese and it was still good.

I think Stephanie's desert was the deciding factor in choosing the winning team since both failed in equal ways.
    Last edited by shoepie; 03-27-2008 at 07:42 AM.

Let me just say first that I like Stephanie. I really like her personality and it seems like she's a very talented chef.

That having been said, I was really surprised that she won the Elimination Challenge. Wasn't it Season 2 that Tom C. complained about one of the chefs (Sam?), "But he didn't cook anything!" because he made some dish that didn't need to be cooked. Last night, except for the cinnamon wanton crisp (which it wasn't really clear that she herself made), Stephanie didn't cook anything either. She basically made a drink and she "conceptualized" (her words) the fruit salad w/ cinnamon wanton crisp desert.

Maybe it's the "halo effect".... she won the first Elimination Challenge so they think highly of her. I really wonder if it was blind tasting whether the judges would make the same decisions. I think they really try to focus on the food, but I wonder how much personality, pre-conceived ideas about who's better or worse than the others, etc. plays into it.

I thought Andrew was pretty obnoxious at the judging panel....wasn't he the one that said he wasn't leaving, they'd have to drag him kicking and screaming out of there, etc.? It's one thing to defend your dish, but he went way beyond simply defending their food. I'm not sure acting outraged and acting like all four judges must simply be wrong was the smartest move.

Quote Originally Posted by MMLEsq;2872885;
    I really wonder if it was blind tasting whether the judges would make the same decisions. I think they really try to focus on the food, but I wonder how much personality, pre-conceived ideas about who's better or worse than the others, etc. plays into it.
    In support of my own point.... I just saw this on Bravo's site in a Q&A with guest judge Rick Bayless

I chose not to know anything about the chefs beforehand because I wanted to go in with a completely clean slate, but Ryan had worked in our kitchen at one time and I sort of recognized him, but when he was presenting his dish to me in the Quickfire Challenge he brought up the fact that he’d worked in our kitchen for a day or two, and he did it in a total brown-nosey way, and I was so taken aback because then I remembered him and I remembered that I didn’t really care for him. That was the worst thing he could have done, and he thought it was going to be a really positive thing. Immediately I remembered him and the swagger with which he walked through the kitchen, and that doesn’t go over very well in our kitchen. If he’d just kept his mouth shut, I wouldn’t have put two and two together. I might have later, but I wouldn’t have done it by the time the challenge was over.
    BRAVOtv.com : Top Chef : Season 4 : guest

I really wanted the team who made the street food to win because you would normally have corn dogs, mac and cheese, etc... at a block party but they screwed it up. Whoever heard of paella at a street block party? I'm from Chicago and I've never run into high cruisine at a block party before.
    I liked Eric too, he was cool.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast