+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 3/12 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 3/12 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

With people like Andrew, it's impossible to edit out and still have coherent sentences. He is just an ugly fountain of curse words.

These people are supposedly professionals. In the professional world I work in, talking like a rapper with a hangover is considered rude.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

I am glad to see others are not happy with all the cussing and beeping that goes along with it.
    I do cuss once in awhile but it seems so common place on most reality shows now a days.
    As I posted in the Biggest Loser thread - people would sound more intelligent if they didn't cuss.
    Eventually - a whole segment will be "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep."
    And how in the heck does a couple end up on this show? Seems like a set up.
    Wasn't surprised to see Nimma go - she did get the loser's edit.
    I am tiring of Rocco - what other show did he just make an appearance on?

EDIT: I agree that there are way too many chefs to keep track of.
    I was actually hoping for a double or triple elimination just to make it easier.

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2838938;

Only time will tell as to whether the couple has an advantage or disadvantage.

I was really affected by the nervousness shown tonight. At one point I was breathing fast and shaking as though my butt was on the line, when I'm quite happy being just a basic cook.
    Since the contestants won't be forming alliances or voting people out, I can't see how the others would be threatened by it. It might add an interesting dynamic as they compete

As for everyone's nervousness, I was totally feeling that too when the crab cake guy (don't know his name yet) was about to jump out of his skin.
    CYA

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by redjdv;2839095;
    I am glad to see others are not happy with all the cussing and beeping that goes along with it.
    I do cuss once in awhile but it seems so common place on most reality shows now a days.
    As I posted in the Biggest Loser thread - people would sound more intelligent if they didn't cuss.
    Eventually - a whole segment will be "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep."
    And how in the heck does a couple end up on this show? Seems like a set up.
    Wasn't surprised to see Nimma go - she did get the loser's edit.
    I am tiring of Rocco - what other show did he just make an appearance on?EDIT: I agree that there are way too many chefs to keep track of.
    I was actually hoping for a double or triple elimination just to make it easier.
    He was just on The Biggest Loser teaching the contestants how to cook healthy. I still liked him best on The Restaurant.

Nice intense show. The cooks all seem very qualified.

Nimma: Again I do not understand this I'm not here to make friends attitude or strategy. First of all if you survive to the finale you are stuck with these people 24/7 for at least a month. Make it easy for yourself. Second, I do believe there is a very famous quote that says something to the effect of holding your friends close but holding your enemies even closer. This is a perfect opportunity to found out their strengths and weaknesses. Also, you can be friendly without making friends. People do all the time at work, at play. It is very Duh to isolate yourself like that. You miss networking oppotunites etc... Funny how she went from no salt in the quickfire challenge to too much in the first elimination challenge. Overcompensating much?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Quemoni;2838753;
    My diagnosis: Nimma lacks confidence it seems. She wears her emotions on her sleeve....did you see her facial reactions during the quickfire? I think she is masking her FEAR by being anti-social. She doesn't want others to know she is scared and unsure of herself.
    I might lack confidence if I were in her place. At 26 Nimma was the youngest cheftestant and only a line cook. Most of the others were either executive chefs, sous chefs or restaurant owners.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;2838927;
    Andrew already annoys me. He's like Dr. Morris from "ER" trying to be street.

As does the Aussie's accent, but he seems nice enough.

And in general, why is it so acceptable to be foul-mouthed these days? Do the producers encourage it?
    Andrew is the male version of Cynthia from Season One.

The cursing is standard in the kitchen. They are cooks, not etiquette coaches.

Tonight's show was enjoyable. Most of the food looked awesome, and I'm already excited about a few contestants' abilities (maybe not so much their personalities, though.)

I really liked the guy who did the crab cakes with the ras al hanout smoke. He seems to be the one to beat, although a person's ability to royally screw up should never be underestimated.

Some of the pasta dishes looked outstanding, also. (Mmmmm.. makes me crave pasta.) The lasagna sounded really good, as did the parpadelle.

I'm excited for this season. Last season was kind of a stinker, and the season before really soured for me with all the drama. This one looks like it might turn out to still be mega-drama, but hopefully more entertaining.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Quote Originally Posted by corprip;2839452;
    The cursing is standard in the kitchen. They are cooks, not etiquette coaches.
    I can't agree with that. Granted it probably depends on the kind of kitchen and area of the country you work in, but I have not experienced this level of crassness in my job experience. Sure a cuss word here and there for emphasis or as the situation called for it, but we certainly didn't go around calling each other Mother F'rs all the time. I know there will be those who disagree, but I just don't find that jives with true professionalism in my experience.

ETA - Gordon Ramesy not withstanding, but the f word is not taken in the same way in Britain as here and is heard frequently on broadcast tv for many, many years now, while the word bloody is taken more seriously...so we all have our own standards.
    Last edited by Duckyface; 03-13-2008 at 03:15 AM.

I have friends who are chefs and line cooks, so I know how...well, insane...most kitchens can get.

But these people are on a TV show, not on Showtime, but on a commercial basic cable channel that pretty much follows the same rules as broadcast networks. And they are in the presence of the most distinguished people in their industry. Wouldn't the natural instinct be to act a little more professional in this environment? That's why I wondered if the producers were encouraging the profanity. If they set the tone, then the chefs are going to act accordingly.

I'm not shocked or disturbed by it. I just think it reflects poorly on them. This is how they want to present themselves while competing to become a household name in their field? Do they care about setting an example for others? Apparently not...
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

+ Reply to Thread