+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What changes would you make on Top Chef?

FORT Regular

What changes would you make on Top Chef?

The judges should do blind tasting on the food. Meaning the judges has no knowledge which chef made which food to decide the best dish.

Re: What changes would you make on Top Chef?

I would permanently remove Gail Simmons as a judge and keep Ted Allen. I would like more Anthony Bourdain. I also love Padma so she can stay as the host. Blind tasting would be kind of a good idea, because it would remove bias. I definitely do think sometimes bias plays a role in decisions.

No more stupid challenges designed for people to fail. I want to see real cooking done by brilliant chefs with real challenges. Give them an ingredient, a reasonable budget, a reasonable amount of time and let the best chef win. I'd rather see something like that every week instead of who can make the best airplane food or some other silly challenge.

I like the idea of blind taste testing. Like Throw down with Bobby Flay, have the dishes presented to them with the judges having no idea who made what.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I'd like to see at least one challenge where they all are asked to make the same dish, but with the chef's personal take on the dish. I think that would get boring for all 15 weeks of the show, but one challenge like that would be great.

I don't like the way Tom Colicchio walks through when they are cooking and uses it against them later. If they're having a bad time in the kitchen but manage to pull it off, then good on them. To me he seems to hold grudges over what he sees during the prep when it comes to judging.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;2571969;
    I don't like the way Tom Colicchio walks through when they are cooking and uses it against them later. If they're having a bad time in the kitchen but manage to pull it off, then good on them. To me he seems to hold grudges over what he sees during the prep when it comes to judging.
    i've thought of the same thing, hepcat. i wish he would just chill out sometimes.

they should also give them like a couple of hours and freedom to buy from anywhere in the city, instead of using the same old ingredients from the sale old grocers. that rickety old market they buy from gets olddd.

Snoozin' on the beach

They should take past challenge performance into account as well when deciding who to boot rather than just basing it on 1 challenge only.

I like the idea of the blind tasting. And, yesterday I read somewhere (can't remember if it was here on FORT on on the blogs on the Bravo site) a suggestion for a challenge where the TCCs are each given a dish that's gone wrong and have to try to salvage it -- something that really happens in a restaurant kitchen. Throwing in more challenges that actually relate to real situations that a top chef might encounter (using "leftovers" to create a new dish the next day, salvaging a dish that's not working, etc.) are more interesting to me then some of their more contrived challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerneal09;2572181;
    they should also give them like a couple of hours and freedom to buy from anywhere in the city, instead of using the same old ingredients from the [same] old grocers. that rickety old market they buy from gets olddd.
    I live only a couple of miles from The Fresh Market in Coconut Grove that they sent the TCCs to for most of this season. The store is set up (in their words) like "an old world European market, all under one roof, where you can visit an array of departments: old-style butcher shop and fish market, bakery, produce and floral stands, and delicatessen." There's not much in the way of regular groceries -- in my estimation about 60% of the store is the produce, meat and fish departments. Even though it might seem boring to the viewers that they always went to the same store (except for the aisle QF challenge), for what the TCCs are looking for in terms of variety and quality in the food and ingredients for the challenges, I can't think of a better store in Miami for them to go. The only drawback for the TCCs (when they have a $ limit) is that the store is a little on the expensive side.

1. Get rid of Gail and keep Ted. (Anhony Bourdain? Eh...maybe once or twice in the season...)
    2. Love the ideas of the blind taste test for the judges, a challenge where they all have to make their "version" of the same dish, and a challenge where they have to try to salvage a dish that went wrong
    3. Hmm...maybe some sort of blind taste test challenge where the chefs get to taste each other's dish(es)--except their own, of course--and their input on which one(s) they liked/disliked gets taken into account when the judges decide who goes home...?

It's been mentioned before, but I don't like to see a money limit at all. That's only remotely interesting in the sense that sometimes they have to consider whether to make more than one dish or concentrate their budget on one dish with more expensive ingredients. But the protracted budget issues, the "dress up a 7-11 hot dog" challenges are tedious to the viewer. I want to see them create beautiful and delicious food, not turn crap into slightly more palatable crap. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to use quality ingredients, whether that be in terms of freshness or how much it costs. Not surprisingly, the best ingredients are often more expensive, and it means they compromise quality -- and for what? So the judges will have something to rag on them about when it's not perfect and there was nothing in the budget that would allow a backup plan? It's not interesting to me. Being wowed by the food is what's amazing, not bookkeeping.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast