+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What changes would you make on Top Chef?

FORT Fanatic

Re: What changes would you make on Top Chef?

Quote Originally Posted by mrs. tino;2582884;
    I would actually get rid of restaurant wars all together or change it back to how they had it during season 1. Personally, it's my least favorite challenge but I think it could be better if the chefs didn't have to design the space as well as come up with a concept and menu. I liked season 1 when they had a furnished space and all they had to do was come up with a menu and buy the plates and some other decorations. I think it would eliminate some of the stress in that challenge and ultimately they would end up with better food.

Also I think the chefs should get more realistic budgets for some of the challenges.
    I was under the impression that there was some input from the TC1 chefs as to how their restaurants were to be set up. Tiffani went for the family style of dining where several families might share a single large table. There was one shot of Stephen fooling aound with the new rug in Tabor. The biggest difference was that TC1 operated on a shoestring budget compared to TC3.

If Colicchio is not going to be a mentor, he shouldn't come into the kitchen. What is the point? If they are going to keep on doing those silly "Here's a quarter and a pack of Cheetos: Wow me!" challenges, then they should not put so many obstacles for the chefs. If you give them litlle money, give them time to think about what they would do, or let them roam in the market and buy what they want. Or put a limit to those kinds of challenges. One or two per season is enough for me.

I like the QuickFire challenges and wouldn't change those or the immunity part (eventually immunity goes away for *every* competitive show). (My personal favorite was the aisle one. Brian surprised me, and Hung made me laugh)

However, let's get some better prizes for the EC. Most of these chefs already have or have read the books they were given as prizes. Tre & CJ get to go to Italy & Casey gets a computer; Howie gets a bottle of wine & a stack of books? And so forth.....

And the blind taste testing is a GREAT idea! Not to mention that the judges should take cumulative work overall into the judging. For Howie & Sara to remain over & over, while Tre goes home........ <Ggggrrrrrr>

I don't think I'll ever get over that.

Never, ever let Rocco DeSpirito on this show again!

Quote Originally Posted by busilis32;2583868;
    If Colicchio is not going to be a mentor, he shouldn't come into the kitchen. What is the point? If they are going to keep on doing those silly "Here's a quarter and a pack of Cheetos: Wow me!" challenges, then they should not put so many obstacles for the chefs. If you give them litlle money, give them time to think about what they would do, or let them roam in the market and buy what they want. Or put a limit to those kinds of challenges. One or two per season is enough for me.
    Amen!

FORT Regular

I would also like them to make changes on how they announce the winners of the elimination challenge. They should switch once in a while, instead of calling the top finishers first. Then, after talking to the first group of chefs, they should go to the another room so the other chefs wont know if the first team was the top or the bottom.

silly suggestion, but when I love a show as much as I do Top Chef, I would like to see longer episodes..i.e atleast 90mins. I know it won't happen, but that is my change to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;2571969;
    I don't like the way Tom Colicchio walks through when they are cooking and uses it against them later. If they're having a bad time in the kitchen but manage to pull it off, then good on them. To me he seems to hold grudges over what he sees during the prep when it comes to judging.
    I think part of the criteria for being Top Chef is the ability to keep control and exert leadership in the kitchen. If good food comes out of the kitchen but the chef managed to break every appliance and kill a couple of fellow chefs to get it out on time, the judges need to know that.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

I would like to see the winner of the elimination challenge get immunity for the next challege like of Project Runway. The winner of the quickfire could still get an advantage.

I'd also like to see blind tastings, if not the whole season, for at least one episode. They could definately do that.

FORT Fogey

I really liked the way they used the later quickfires this season to give an advantage when they didn't come with immunity. I especially liked it when the advantage was extra time, extra ingredients, and other things that were the sorts of things the chefs complain about not having at judge's table. (it really adds a put up or shut up element). I think I'd like to see them do more of those types of quickfire rewards earlier in the show instead of immunity. They should especially do that for the challenges that form a team, where one team member having immunity always becomes an issue.

+ Reply to Thread