+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What changes would you make on Top Chef?

Re: What changes would you make on Top Chef?

I loved when Mikey last season took their ridiculous vending food challenge and made a mockery of it, its pretty much what we all think of their pointless challenges.

I do think they purposely set the budgets so low and the challenges almost impossible to complete so they CAN be mean to them at judges table. Again, its all designed to make them fail.

I would like to see them use some of the parts that are successful on other cooking shows and put a TC twist to them to make it their own. Ramsey and his quality control and missing items (fish didn't get delivered... how do you improvise? Or its ruined). Iron Chef and their mystery item that you have to cook against other chefs and within a time limit. That's the sort of stuff we are all into, how many of us love the Food Network Challenges? In order to salvage this show, they need to look around and see what people love about the other shows and try to incorporate those elements into TC but with a different spin so its not just copying.

My ideas are:
    A Point System, so contestants accumulate points each week for the different challenges. The chef with the lowest total points (tallied all season) goes home each week.

Eliminate Immunity for the Quick Fire winners, or make it available to all Quick Fire Winners

More real life situations, that a top chef would encounter, like a guest that could not be pleased. I doubt any member of the cast aspires to be an airline chef.

Run an actual kitchen in a restaurant. I seriously doubt that Ilan could do that.

Establish what they think a Top Chef is at the beginning of each season. It seems to be a moving target. One week it means the best cook, the next best leader.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Shady64;2572768;
    They should take past challenge performance into account as well when deciding who to boot rather than just basing it on 1 challenge only.
    Ah, you beat me to it!

I don't think it's right that someone can win several QFs and be in the top 3 during the Elimination Challenge several times, then booted off the show for one Challenge.

How many people have just lurked around the safety zone, no bottom 3, no top 3? Just gliding along, not calling attention to themselves.

Howie, Joey, and Tre (like them or not) hit the mark many times. Then BAM!! See ya!

Once the QF winner is no longer given immunity from elimination during the Elimination Challenge, the top 3 of the QF should be awarded 1 point, with the winner awarded an additional point. Same should apply during the Elimination Challenge. These points should be cumulative during the rest of the season.

At the "Pack your knives and go" ceremony, if the person with the very worst dish/performance for that episode has more points than the other bottom chef's, they stay.

I know. Won't work. Too many variables. Of course, any changes would negate the premise of the show.

Let's face it. Nothing we think or say will change the show.

FORT Fanatic

Either the chefs can always get immunity on the quickfire challenge or they can't ever get immunity. I think it's dumb that they can get immunity in the beginning, but not toward the end.

FORT Fogey

For the judges, I'd put Padma on hosting duties only. Let her moderate and participate in the discussion for judging, but not have a vote. That would make room for both Gail and Ted on the judges panel. I'd also move Tom off the judges panel and replace him permanently with Bourdain. Tom, I'd move exclusively to the kitchen in a Tim Gunn advisor type of role. Tom has the encouraging side to him, but we don't get to see it when he's got to be the crabby judge.

For the judging of single challenge vs overall competition, I agree that it's not fair when a strong competitor has one bad night and is sent home. But I think a point system could allow some people to get too far ahead and complacent. Instead of that, I'd set a rule that the dish for the elimination challenge alone determines the bottom three. However, once those bottom 3 are determined, their full work in the competition is taken into consideration for deciding who goes home.

Lastly for the challenges -- I like the way skill sets are tested by having some degree of absurd challenges - whether that is in cost, conditions, or ingredients. I don't want to see that go away, but I want to see it taken into account more in the judging. If the conditions are unrealistic, reward those who are skilled enough to make the proper adjustments without bashing those who don't. If the budget is low, don't wonder why the finest ingredients weren't used. Perfection can't be the only acceptable level of performance each challenge when perfection is not in the challenges.

FORT Fogey

I would eliminate that obnoxious, repetitive, and monotonous music.

Good ideas, however, I think that there is simply no way to get around the judges awarding their favorites. Even with taking full work into consideration, I can see that getting out of hand really quickly just because a chef is liked or disliked by the judges. I do think that as was said before, the best way to handle that is to have blind tastings where the judges have no clue who made what but what next? How to make sure favorites aren't played? Not sure it can be done. I think the favorites came into play a lot this season and its one of the reason we are left with such yucky chefs.

Over all, I really like your ideas Veruka and think it could make a difference in the show.

FORT Fogey

I find this show almost flawless. The one change I would make is to extend it to 90 minutes so we could see more of the judges deliberation. I would love to hear more of the critique.

I will also throw in that I like Padma. I don't get the criticism. She knows her food and it makes sense to have the host a judge, as well. Whe she tastes something that she adores it is compelling. The way she chews and the compliments she gives make me want to make the dish and I have. The only dishes I have made are the ones she, speciflically raved about. There is something about her viewpoint, not being a professional chef that I hold in high regard.

FORT Newbie

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the closing credits state that there is judging beyond the panel that we see? I can't remember the exact wording, but I'm led to believe that there is a group of people who judge the food in addition to helping to determine who gets booted off the show.

Nothing with the show per-say.

I'd change Bravo network, in making it so that there's a new episode EVERY week, instead of every other week. I'm sick of watching repeats!

+ Reply to Thread