+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 8/1/07 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 8/1/07 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Wow, I am so surprised that Joey went home, I so thought that Sarah deserved it. She was the worst chef there, she did nothing, all she did was add saffron and fennel and all the judges said the saffron made the dish taste weird.

What also surprised me is that I actually was warming up to Joey, he has a very tough abrupt exterior and I initally loathed him and I normally try to reserve judgement for a few episodes. He deserved to stay over Sarah, he was robbed.

Now Hung's preformance was also a big surprise, he couldn't defend himself at all, he 'villan' persona totally fell off. If he trully was the 'villan' he protrays he would have totally thrown Joey under the bus without a thought and that did not happen.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;2499709;
    Rocco looks to have lost some weight.
    Rocco lost 30 lbs as he is participating in some sort of triathelon.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MrsWeidner06;2499759;
    This is a bit off topic.. but does anyone know what the brand of knives are that they drew out of the block tonight? I'm dying to know, and can't find them ANYWHERE!!
    I don't know what brand of knives they are using this year but they were using Global knives in past seasons. If I had to make a guess I'd say this year they were using Calphalon knives as Calphalon is one of their sponsors.

Wow, Sara really dropped the bomb on this one. I couldn't helpt but think she's really ugly when she was smoking in the hot tub. It's her attitude that made me think that way. Sure Howie had attitude too, but she was something else. Surprised she didn't go. Yep, Joey totally got robbed.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by melverine;2500278;
    Though I do believe that Joey didn't deserve to go...it should have been Sarah or Howie. But I think that Joey was more at fault than Hung. Hung clearly knew to separate the ingredients before freezing and it seemed he was trying to tell that big oaf. Instead Joey pours the sauce on top of the pasta before Hung could do anything. Wow. Granted Hung should have been more forceful. But Joey doesn't seem to listen. What's worse?
    Hung was shown telling Colicchio that he knew the "secret" of successful frozen food - ie freezing the ingredients separately. He repeatedly tried to convey his theory to Joey. Hung tried not to place blame on Joey at the JT until cornered when he had to say "that repeating himself every two minutes" got a bit tiresome.

As for Howie, he tried to be a team player at the JT until Sara M. began shifting blame on to his shoulders. That's when he lost it. Sara M. should have been the one to pack her knives. Only the fact that TC3 is down to three women is what saved her.
    Last edited by gizmo1; 08-02-2007 at 12:47 PM.

FORT Fogey

With regards to placing blame on the losing teams -- I can't help but notice that on the top two teams, there was a common link of attributing all of their success equally. You didn't see any one of them say anything like "Well the method we used was my idea. We would never have won without me". Or "I said meatballs first. He'd be toast if he didn't have me". It's easy to demonstrate what is true when you're on top, and the top two teams recognized that things worked because of BOTH chefs, and not because just one took over.

The same is true of the bottom teams, but it's harder to own up to it when you're on the bottom. Hung was just as wrong for not standing firm on the proper way to do things as Joey was to insist on not doing it Hung's way. Sara was just as wrong for not contributing much as Howie was to not being open to Sara's ideas. It was a team challenge. A team is only as strong as its weakest member, and I don't think there was one of the four in the bottom group who didn't deserve to be there.

Team challenges in Top Chef (or Project Runway, for that matter) are always a bit of a crap shoot--because being a "chef" is, to some degree, predicated on the ability to stand up and say "I know exactly what I want to cook and how I want to cook it...and when I do that, you will like it."

Put into teams, chefs have to find a balance between asserting that dominance and showing a willingness to listen to a teammate who is trying to assert their dominance (and is, paradoxically, trying to show their willingness to listen, to...)

The show just wants them to put out great food--there's no benefit to just "going along to get along" if the food isn't great, and there's no benefit to taking a leadership role if the food doesn't turn out.

Still, every season, we see contestants throw up their hands and just let someone else take over when they, themselves, had different ideas that they couldn't seem to get across to their teammate...and every season we've seen teams that seem to be pulling apart throughout that challenge rather than ever pull together.

In this challenge, Tre and CJ figured out the puzzle of the challenge (what could that extra hour "to pack" really be for?) and worked to the best of their abilities to achieve a common goal. No wonder they won.

Casey and Dale (--just the sound of that team makes me think that the Food Network should offer them a show where they'd be co-hosts) kept their focus on one element of the challenge--what food would best stand up to freezing--rather than the puzzle...but their bizarre Vulcan Mind Meld was just team challenge serendipity. Imagine if Casey had been paired with someone more strongheaded and didn't want to do meatballs for whatever reason (--even Tom wondered, at first, how turkey and pork meatballs could be considered truly Mediterranean.)

Hung figured out the puzzle of the challenge--but he neither had the personal communication skills to convince Joey that his way would be the way to do things...nor the bullheadedness to do it his way and not allow Joey to do things wrong. Joey, for all of the sympathy he's getting from viewers for his emotional reaction to being sent home (although, I can just imagine how his boys back home are tearing into him now), was...in every way...wrong in this challenge.

Now, Hung's plans for the dish may not have resulted in the best dish--I've noticed a distinct lack of imagination in what he's been offering lately...certainly not what I was expecting from a "friend of Marcel...and both of the top teams ended up going beyond understanding the puzzle to creating good tasting and inventive dishes--but it would have tasted better than what they, as a team, ended up with.

I thought it was interesting that Joey's reasoning for using the tri-color fusilli ("Why not give the people something special?") is exactly the opposite of Howie's reasoning for wanting to reject it ("that stuff is found in every banquet and shlockhouse") They KEY is that neither of them made the decision for the real reason to choose or avoid tri-color fusilli--what would make the dish more appealing? (Some pasta dishes NEED an injection of color...others have lots of stuff going on already...)

Howie, who has been in the bottom bunch how many times, showed nothing but contempt for his teammate from the beginning. He decided that he was above and beyond her...and, after ceding a few of the early decisions to her, he basically took over the entire project. Which, I should point out, he certainly didn't figure out that the challenge included a puzzle--much less solved it--and was so focused on how he felt he was being treated by his partner that they never had a chance of succeeding here.

If I was Sara, would I have reason to keep checking up on Howie--the guy who couldn't even get his frog legs on the plate, the guy who keeps having to explain away how he's "had better days" to save himself at Judges Table? Yes, I would...especially when they never found ANY common ground as a team to talk about how to best execute a successful vision for their offering.

MAYBE IT WOULDN'T HAVE MATTERED...but doesn't ANYONE have the personal relationship skills to sit down with each other and clear the air?

"Hey, Howie...I notice that you're not really talking to me...and I'm getting really short with you. I just want to win this challenge and we need to work together to do that. We need to talk. We need to be on the same page. What do we need to do to get past whatever we've got between us for us to be able to work together? Let's get it all out in the open, let's each say exactly what we think we need to do to present the best meal tomorrow...and let's see if there's a common vision that we can agree to...or let's see if we can divide up our roles that can play to each of our strengths?"

That's how grown-ups deal with problems in the workplace.

I think Howie is taking on some of Joey's shortcomings--blaming others for his problems, lashing out at those others and then denying his own culpability for anything that goes wrong. And simply saying that Howie "is a bulldog" doesn't change the fact that you ended up with an awful product at the end, Sara--a product that you are definitely 50% responsible for...even if you didn't end up claiming half of the responsibility for while making it.

And then there was Brian and Sara. They didn't figure out the puzzle but they didn't fall on their face. They had differing styles (and different abilities) but they didn't let that get in the way of ending up with a good final product. Maybe Brian took the lead role--and maybe he NEEDED to. Maybe Sara takes a long time to cut vegetables--and maybe she NEEDED to. The end result is that it doesn't matter to the judges HOW you got what you got...just that what you got was good.

pg--OK, back to writing my LCS recap now.--seattle

I like that Dale and Casey helped out Bryan and Sara N. This group, despite getting frustrated with each other, really seems to have its heart in the right place. I didn't get that feeling from the group last season quite so much.

It really bothered me that Joey didn't listen to Hung. Hung did tell him several times about freezing everything separately and even showed him the rationale behind it, but Joey just went ahead and did his own thing. This wasn't a matter of poor leadership... they were supposed to be partners, not team captain-with-team. As much as I sort of liked Joey and thought he seemed like a good chef, I'm glad he went over Hung.

Still really love Hung, CJ and Tre. I'm happy CJ and Tre won... their teamwork seemed effortless.

Oh man... I just saw the ending... Joey made me cry! Why didn't they send Sara M. home instead? She's been in the bottom like 3 or 4 times now and has yet to produce something really amazing!

FORT Regular

Joey was sent home because, Tom knew that Hung wanted to freeze the sauce, pasta and veggies seperately. Yet Joey wanted to be lazy and put them all in one bag.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast