+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 7/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 7/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by texasgal26;2481910;
    Interesting... I remember a Tom Colicchio blog post after Season 1, when he mentioned that he thought a lot of the vitreolic criticism directed at Tiff stemmed from her being a woman. He seemed to feel that the audience wasn't comfortable seeing a woman assert power, demonstrate ambition, and give directions to men. Personally, I love powerful women; I didn't like her at the time b/c I thought she was obnoxious. (I do like her a bit more now, after seeing her in the All-Stars.)
    I personally liked what Tiff produced, but it was easy to see that she did not always rub along well with the others, but considering from what I gathered from other posters the 'fine dinining' field she is working in can be incredibly hard on female chefs, I think she has created a very hard shell around herself to protect herself. Lee Ann on the other had was as tough and creative but had better social skills.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Snoozin' on the beach

Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;2482034;
    I think everyone has at this point.

I don't believe Casey, CJ or one of the Sara's have been in the top 2/3. One of the Sara's was in the top 2/3 for the bar-b-que. Can't remember which one.

Casey hasn't been in the top 2/3 in the elimination challenge but she has won a quickfire challenge and immunity that goes with it

One issue I have with the show is the amount of money they give the contestants per challenge. I blame this for many of the problems they had last week. Cost made several of them change their dish because they couldn't afford the ingredients they needed for it. Lack of creativity holds more weight with me, if cost is no object.

I don't think cutting the cooking time in half was intended as a test but it did challenge them. Didn't Padma say something about the guests' having a demanding and unpredictable schedule? I expected Howie to have the most trouble with it, but he rose to the occasion and actually won. I question whether Casey's dry chicken and bad rice were affected by the change of plans.

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2482123;
    One issue I have with the show is the amount of money they give the contestants per challenge. I blame this for many of the problems they had last week. Cost made several of them change their dish because they couldn't afford the ingredients they needed for it. Lack of creativity holds more weight with me, if cost is no object.

I don't think cutting the cooking time in half was intended as a test but it did challenge them. Didn't Padma say something about the guests' having a demanding and unpredictable schedule? I expected Howie to have the most trouble with it, but he rose to the occasion and actually won. I question whether Casey's dry chicken and bad rice were affected by the change of plans.
    The amount of money they lack doesn't bother me because if they are going to cater an event there will likely be a budget. They should learn to be creative within the confines of the limited amount of money.

I thought for certain that the cooking time cut in half was part of the original idea for them from the producers, but after reading one of the Bravo blogs (I can't remember now which one) I was left with the impression that cutting short the time by half was not part of the set-up but an actual thing that happened to them. Do people do that on a normal basis, change the time for a catered event?

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;2482137;
    I was left with the impression that cutting short the time by half was not part of the set-up but an actual thing that happened to them. Do people do that on a normal basis, change the time for a catered event?
    I think this just falls back on the uniqueness of the situation, because normally I think it would be tough beans. The time is the time THE END. It just worked out OK in this case, because they had a large block of time for cooking.

One thing that I wondered about was how the spiciness of some foods affected the judges ability to taste other dishes. They made various comments about this among themselves.

FORT Fan

The amount of money they lack doesn't bother me because if they are going to cater an event there will likely be a budget. They should learn to be creative within the confines of the limited amount of money.

?
    I agree. I don't like, however, the time limits on shopping. What difference does that make? Give them an hour to shop- like a normal person would. Seeing them running around the store is dumb.

Snoozin' on the beach

I totally agree. For those contestants that already own their own restaraunts they know they have to control food costs to an extent in order to make a profit. The good ones know how to be creative with or without a limited budget-One is not dependant on the other.

FORT Fogey

I don't think I believe the Bravo website spin that the time change up was not planned ahead of time. I think it was, and I think it was a good element that they should take credit for. I had the advantage of reading about the show yesterday after it aired, and then watching it last night. Because of that, I noticed that when the challenge was being explained to them, Tom specifically mentioned that scheduling with the Telemundo group was very fluid and changed often. So they gave them the warning up front if they were listening to it.

Further, the change in the amount of time was a really good test of cooking knowledge. There were several chefs who realized the original cooking method they'd planned would not work with less time. Some decided to do it anyway, others figured out another way to get the same thing done. As I see it, having the skills to both think on your feet AND understand how different methods would deliver different outcomes to a dish are important skills for a chef, and skills that were smart to challenge.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2483594;
    I don't think I believe the Bravo website spin that the time change up was not planned ahead of time. I think it was, and I think it was a good element that they should take credit for. I had the advantage of reading about the show yesterday after it aired, and then watching it last night. Because of that, I noticed that when the challenge was being explained to them, Tom specifically mentioned that scheduling with the Telemundo group was very fluid and changed often. So they gave them the warning up front if they were listening to it.

Further, the change in the amount of time was a really good test of cooking knowledge. There were several chefs who realized the original cooking method they'd planned would not work with less time. Some decided to do it anyway, others figured out another way to get the same thing done. As I see it, having the skills to both think on your feet AND understand how different methods would deliver different outcomes to a dish are important skills for a chef, and skills that were smart to challenge.
    The winning chef, Howie, used some common sense and cut his pork into smaller pieces to reduce the cooking time.

Seems like I'm in the minority, but I really think Sarah N should have gone home. To me, Lia's not-so-flavourful dish is so much better than Sarah's guacamole with chips.

They had 1.5 hours and all Sarah made is guacamole with roasted corn with store-bought chips?!? It was totally chips and dip. Nothing special about it. Maybe it says that Lia's dish was that bad too, but I thought her dish at least required much more effort and thought than Sarah's dish.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast