+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 7/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Newbie

Re: 7/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

The disparity between the female and male chef eliminations is becoming a problem on the show. Either men are better chefs than women or there is a serious bias on the show (Tom perhaps?)

Going into the sixth show for all thee seasons:
    Season 1 - 4 male to 3 female
    Season 2 - 7 male to 3 female
    Season 3 - 7 male to 3 female

The female chefs are all getting eliminated early. I noticed it last season and this season just confirms the trend.

Splitting my time between Washington and Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;2481178;
    I was really ready for Casey to go home tonight. I thought Lia would last longer than she did.
    Me too! Something about her really bugs me and I thought her food sounded worse than Lia's... especially when Gail said that sauce tasted kind of like licorice. (But I guess that's just personal taste).

I am glad to see that Joey and Howie are friends now. I like their friendship on the show. Plus, that means less frivilous drama.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs. tino;2481347;
    Me too! Something about her really bugs me and I thought her food sounded worse than Lia's... especially when Gail said that sauce tasted kind of like licorice. (But I guess that's just personal taste).

I am glad to see that Joey and Howie are friends now. I like their friendship on the show. Plus, that means less frivilous drama.
    I don't think that is quite true, more like that for this episode they were able to not fight.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2481411;
    I don't think that is quite true, more like that for this episode they were able to not fight.
    During this ep Joey said that since their big blow up he and Howie have become friends. Neither has the temperament to fake this. Their personalities seem similar enough and so different from the others that it would make sense for them to form a bond.

I totally agree about Howie and his sweat. He should be forced to wear a bandanna. I'm glad Tom told Hung about running around with knives in a crowded kitchen. Gail really looked rough tonight.

Regarding the male/female comparisons: My guess is that the best female chefs have better things to do than come on a show like this. In addition to their jobs they probably have families to take care of. Also there seems to be a strange snobbery in the industry that men are better chefs so there are more of them to choose from. So... if less qualified women get on the show it isn't surprising that they would be the first to go.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by eBrigand;2481308;
    The disparity between the female and male chef eliminations is becoming a problem on the show. Either men are better chefs than women or there is a serious bias on the show (Tom perhaps?)

Going into the sixth show for all thee seasons:
    Season 1 - 4 male to 3 female
    Season 2 - 7 male to 3 female
    Season 3 - 7 male to 3 female

The female chefs are all getting eliminated early. I noticed it last season and this season just confirms the trend.
    I think that reflects a reality of the industry. I read an article a few months ago (which featured an old classmate of mine) about the challenges that women have in the cullinary industry. It is one of the toughest fields for women to break the glass ceiling. A lot of that is blamed on bias and prejudice in the industry. Some of it is blamed on the challenges that the typical size of a woman can bring in the kitchen -- when you've got to lug around a side of beef or a huge bag of vegetables, a petite woman can physically have trouble getting the job done. So the lack of respect for women in a professional kitchen can be, unfortanately, quite prevelant.

FORT Fanatic

I doubt that cooking ability has much to do with the size of the person as it is doubtful that many executive chefs actually haul around a size of beef.

My guess is that it's the expectations of the industry combined with the expectations of society. I have a son who is a chef and a daughter in the restaurant business. NOT glamorous jobs. The hours are long.

I believe that there are not more female chefs because of the expectations of women. How many men do you know that would be happy with a wife who worked regularly from noon til about 2:00 am. Today's society expects a female to be the working woman AND the loving wife and mother - there simply aren't enough hours in the day.

FORT Fogey

I based the comments in my post on the article that I read -- not my own speculation. Remember, in order to become an executive chef, you have to work your way up through the ranks doing lesser jobs which do require more physical strength.

I am completely baffled by the judges' decision to send Lia home while keeping Sarah N.

How could that guacamole beat Lia's dish?!?!?!?!?

I mean, maybe Lia's dish tasted that bland, but c'mon, Sarah's dish wasn't even a dish. It wasn't a meal. It was a dip. How? How could the judges send Lia home????? What do they see in Sarah? To me Lia is clearly far better chef than Sarah. So disappointed.

FORT Newbie

i think its more along the lines that women are smarter than men in the game of real life survival.. thus you have less women in the restaurant industry which is one of the most difficult around.

dont take me too seriously folks.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;2481178;
    I was really ready for Casey to go home tonight. I thought Lia would last longer than she did.
    Sorry PhoneGrrrl, but Lia's days were numbered from the git-go. It was the first or second challenge when she was making the lamb (?) and Chef Tom questioned her lackadaisical approach to trimming...she stated she might not have enough time for a stellar presentation...Tom rolled his eyes and suggested she make time and the sausage and lentil fiasco during the Elks Club episode...she couldn't find the time to make her own sausage...that screams laziness and lack of initiative to me. Whether the judges were basing their decisions cumulatively, and regardless of what they may say, I think they'd HAVE to considering the so-called level of skill of this group or just the singular challenge itself, there was no doubt in my mind that Lia had to go. Too bad cuz I liked her and was interested in seeing what she could bring to future tables and as far as I'm concerned, Hung should hang Talk about arrogance...harkens back to Stephen in Season 1. When his offerings are less than awesome, the judges are confused, don't get it or have their heads up their ass! He absolutely cannot accept responsibility for his failures. It's getting interesting, that's for sure. Predictions...look for Casey to stay the course, the two Saras are skating on thin ice, Dale, Brian and CJ are interchangeable, but one of them will be there towards the end and Joey and Howie will run off and exchange vows

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast