+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 7/11 Discussion Thread

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: 7/11 Discussion Thread

Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting really REALLY tired of the constant parade of civeche, risotto and sea scallops. I don't really object to any of them particularly, but they're not terribly inventive or difficult. I go for a great civeche at my fav local TexMex place all the time and all it is is seafood 'cooked' in acid. I can't cook seafood well, but I can manage sea scallops. And risotto is not complicated if you watch the pot. But the chefs use them every week, sometimes multiple times, and I'm just tired of it. I know there's time issues and whatnot, but it just comes off as a lack of creativity.

Bearcata, I think Howie & Joey assumed the worst out of Casey because they have huge persecution complexes. You saw how Joey reacted to Tom's few words in the kitchen--the guy is nuts. Of course, Tom could have insulted him further and we didn't see that, but I tend to think that he's just crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;2471131;
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting really REALLY tired of the constant parade of civeche, risotto and sea scallops. I don't really object to any of them particularly, but they're not terribly inventive or difficult. I go for a great civeche at my fav local TexMex place all the time and all it is is seafood 'cooked' in acid. I can't cook seafood well, but I can manage sea scallops. And risotto is not complicated if you watch the pot. But the chefs use them every week, sometimes multiple times, and I'm just tired of it. I know there's time issues and whatnot, but it just comes off as a lack of creativity.

Bearcata, I think Howie & Joey assumed the worst out of Casey because they have huge persecution complexes. You saw how Joey reacted to Tom's few words in the kitchen--the guy is nuts. Of course, Tom could have insulted him further and we didn't see that, but I tend to think that he's just crazy.

Well, I'm definitely with you on the ceviche and scallops. It was nice on the first challenge to see them do things with foods I'd never tried (except for the rattlesnake and a couple others). I was so happy they ended up doing stuff w/ shrimp instead last night. I am partial to risotto (which they usually have as a compliment to another dish) because it is one of my favorite foods, I actually don't see it so often, and I think it is hard to make really well; I'd say I'm impressed with every 3rd risotto dish I try. PS: The risotto at Harold's restaurant is outstanding.

FORT Fanatic

Scallop ceviche: lime juice, lemon juice, a few spices thrown in with the scallops - toss it in the bowl and let it marinate.

Risotto - if you can make Rice-a-Roni out of the box, I bet you can make a decent risotto at home.

Good cooking is not rocket science...it's patience and attention to details

Splitting my time between Washington and Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2471087;
    The most interesting team last night was Howie, Paulie and was it Casey??? I don't like how the guys automatically ganged up and assummed and were dead sure that their teammate was a liability just because she won the Quickfire Challenge and immunity. The judges do notice if the immunity winners slack off.
    In all fairness though, Casey was not being particularly helpful to the guys. When they wanted her to talk with them about the menu, she snapped at Joey and said something like "I'll come out there when I'm done eating!" And then when it was time to serve and plate she was nowhere to be found and one of the other chefs had to go fetch her. Plus, the judges said her tuna was the worst of the three parts, so clearly she was a liability to that team.

FORT Fanatic

i feel if sara's dish was a little better- tre would have won out of the group.plus isn't the group of tre, sara,and cj just the cutest bunch

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;2471131;

I agree with you. I know I really liked the episode where they used things I have never heard of--like geoduck and what they do with exotic ingredients. Even I can make a risotto and I can't really cook all that well. In fact, my husband and kids would be much happier if I never entered the kitchen again.

As for Howie and Joey, I think especially Joey has a persecution complex. He really is a nut and acts defensive to everything and seems to think everyone is out to get him. Though I don't think Casey was really that helpful. She had the weakest dish, she wasn't around much when they were planning, and she completely disappeared when it was time to plate and serve. So I guess I see both sides.

This is a question to anyone on the board. What exactly is a mixologist? I know they mix drinks, but are they different than a bartender or is it a different name for the same thing?

FORT Fanatic

Casey initially tried to contribute to the team, but Howie and Joey dismissed every suggestion she made. Finally she just gave up and left the two to fight among themselves.

My issue with Howie and Joey is that they never gave Casey a chance, it looked as if they totally dismissed all her ideas before hand, and I liked that when Casey was eating she stood her ground and did not let bulldozer one and two run rough shod over her. As far as the plating, maybe she had to go to the bathroom or something, I don't see that as deliberate just editing. Howie and Joey don't like each other and had poor communication throughout the challenge. How Joey has survived as a cook I don't know. Every chef, especially the ones interviewed on Hell's Kitchen remark that there are a lot of comments made in the kitchen and that is just the way it is. I hope they have another team challenge soon and see how these 3 contestents do on different teams. Joey and Hung or Howie and Hung. Those pairings are sure to be explosive.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

A few posters up someone asked if the judges/foodies said anything about Tre's dish.

They did say they liked it alot. But it was a quick blurb.

And I agree that they might've won if not for the boring Sara N. (?) dish.

Yeah, Sara N.'s dish was really not creative. Roasted beef and carrots and brocolli, or something, right? Just like a guest said, you can get that at Denny's.

I don't understand why it's so difficult to work with each other. It's easy for me to say, sure. But I would think the interest of doing well as a team would overcome whatever disagreements members may have with each other. I guess that's not how ego works.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123