+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: 6/27 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

FORT Fanatic

Re: Theres No Sabotage!

Quote Originally Posted by justgart;2458429;
    If you watch the episode again, you can see that Sara and Howie was in front of the oven as she places her dish. She then says "Please set the heat to 300". But Howie does not do anything. Looks to me she assumed that Howie set the oven for her. I don't think theres sabotage on Hungs part, he turned off the oven after he's done (which I would have done too unless someone told me not to). Sara and Howie standing in front of that oven suggests to me that the oven was not hot to begin with.

If you see it again, let me know what you think.
    I have looked at the oven sequence a dozen times and am just as confused as ever. The chefs were given one hour to cook their food. I have to assume that the order that the chefs served their food to the Elks depended largely on cooking times. Sara was the second chef to serve her food while Hung went 5th. I looked up the cooking times on the recipe portion of the Bravo Top Chef website. Hung's skinless chicken was in the oven for 30 minutes at 450dF. Sara did not list the cooking time for her skewered chicken so I looked the average cooking time for shish kabobs which turned out to be 10 minutes average. This is where the confusion comes in. Hung's food would either have to be in the oven at the same time as Sara's or after she got done roasting her skewers. If their dishes were in the oven at the same time, they'd have to use separate ovens (top and bottom ovens) as the cooking temps were different, 300dF and 450dF. They could not share an oven. If Sara went second and Hung went fifth and his cooking time was 20 minutes longer than hers, there is no way that he finished before she did. The idea that he finished roasting his chicken before she even started roasting her dish doesn't make sense to me timewise. If he did finish before she did, his chicken would be cold by the time he served it.
    Why is there a problem with her oven? She is initially shown putting her skewers in the oven and asking Howie to set the temperature at 300dF. She comes back 10 minutes later and discovers that her oven is on cool down. Since she was probably to first to use the oven since she served second it is very likely that the oven was already on (per Lee Anne). So what is happening? How could Hung have completed his dish and turned the oven off on Sara when it takes 30 minutes for his to roast? The only one who touched her oven after she put her skewers in was Howie. Did he somehow mess up in setting the temperature to 300dF? He was under a lot of pressure to not be eliminated. Hung was supposed to be the villain and up to now he wasn't doing the assignment very well. Is Bravo stepping up his villain persona through Magic Elf editing? Taking words out of context so that it appears he went before she did? After the time flip flop in the head shaving incident(S2) anything is possible.

I don't think we will ever get an answer that makes sense and Bravo isn't telling.

FORT Regular

Gizmo1, thanks for all the effort you put in.

I want to know the answer regarding that oven issue. Are they doing an after the show special where we can send them questions. Cause that would be my question for Sara, Hung and Howie.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by justgart;2463150;
    Gizmo1, thanks for all the effort you put in.

I want to know the answer regarding that oven issue. Are they doing an after the show special where we can send them questions. Cause that would be my question for Sara, Hung and Howie.
    I doubt that the Top Chef honchos would do a question and answers show. If you have watched Season One or it reruns, you know that there was a similar oven incident with Lee Anne's oven where the temperature on her oven was lowered from 350dF to 325dF causing her to go over the time limit.
    We have never gotten an answer as to who lowered her oven temp although the subject was brought up at the reunion.

FORT Regular

Re: 6/27 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

If we are talking about a commercial kitchen, there is always the possiblity of food warmers. Keep in mind, a commercial kitchen is very different than the ones that we have at home.

Also, is the way they showed the judging the actual order of the judging? Just because they showed it to us in that order, does it mean that it happened in that order?

I can't say that I am rooting for anyone yet. If it doesn't pick up soon, I might have to give up on this season...

I just watched this episode and think Hung was caught in a lie. He interviewed that he put the oven on cool down and then told the chefs he didn't touch it.

Lia should have been sent home in this episode. She phoned in the dish. She purchased the franks for cry out loud. However, since Micah is anti-American (to a degree) and she's a snob, I'm glad she's gone.
    ~~~~

I can't think when I have to think. ~~moi~~

I think Hung's dropping and ignoring the shellfish was a big deal, and I can understand why the other chefs did too. It's not like he dropped a pork chop or a brick of cheese. It was a living thing. To me it was very disrespectful behavior for a chef or for anyone. Would he do the same thing if he dropped a baby lamb while taking it out of a cage?

That's why I'd probably never become a great chef. I wouldn't do well with butchering, or having to drop still-living creatures into a pot of boiling water or a frying pan.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread