+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Padma Lakshmi - Host

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Padma Lakshmi - Host

I just wanted to say that wearing a chef's coat (or jacket) in the real world has nothing to do with culinary school training. It's not an honor, but a job requirement in most restaurant kitchens - no matter if you're the exec chef or a line cook. Although, the exec chef sometimes gets to wear a black or navy one.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders View Post
    Yes, they do wear an apron over their chef jacket, but they cannot wear a chef jacket legitimately without going through culinary school. There is a difference between classically trained chefs and cooks - or people who have earned the chef label by paying their dues for years in the industry. The culinary world is very snooty that way. The chefs who "pay the big bucks" are paying for classical training that involves learning technique and every part of running a successful restaurant. A person who likes to cook and decides to work at a restaurant is not even close to having the knowledge that the students get.
    Poppy Fields is correct, a chefs coat is tradition and a uniform; line cooks wear them too. And some chefs find them uncomfortable and don't wear them! Chefs who did not go to culinary school: Tom Colocchio, Gordon Ramsay, Rick Bayless, Wolfgang Puck, Paul Prudhomme, Mario Batali and a host of others whose names are not as familiar because they are not on TV.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 12-13-2011 at 06:57 AM.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

OK,OK! I officially stand corrected!

My information comes from culinary school. Apparently, when you give them 50 grand, they want to give you some reasons why it's worth it! Now, I feel like we've been screwed! LOL!

Can we give this thread back to Padma again now?

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Poppy Fields is correct, a chefs coat is tradition and a uniform; line cooks wear them too. And some chefs find them uncomfortable and don't wear them! Chefs who did not go to culinary school: Tom Colocchio, Gordon Ramsay, Rick Bayless, Wolfgang Puck, Paul Prudhomme, Mario Batali and a host of others whose names are not as familiar because they are not on TV.
    Not to stay on this topic in Padma's thread but yes, you dont have to pay for the culinary education to earn the right to be called Chef. Bayless (who I adore) spent 6 years in Mexico on culinary research.. to me thats schooling. Puck trained was an apprentice under Raymond Thuillier, a very accepted way to gain culinary training at the had of a 'master'. Mario Batali went to Le Cordon Bleu but didn't graduate.. so he is classically trained. And lastly, Ramsay did go to school, he described it as catering college. He then went on to apperntice under Chef Marco Pierre White who also trained Batali.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders View Post
    OK,OK! I officially stand corrected!

My information comes from culinary school. Apparently, when you give them 50 grand, they want to give you some reasons why it's worth it! Now, I feel like we've been screwed! LOL!

Can we give this thread back to Padma again now?
    Ok. You are officially humbled. I adore Padma and always have!!!
    maude~flanders likes this.

I still dislike her but LOVE the show.
    So far, to me, it seems the most unbiased, unscripted reality show on air and that really appeals to me.
    so even though Padma annoys me, I'll never stop watching if it remains the same.
    maude~flanders likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789