+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Padma Lakshmi - Host

Re: Padma Lakshmi - Host

As far as who's a cook and who's a chef, we should leave it up to Kelly Bensimmon from RHNY, since she had very strong definitions about that during the boat trip to Scary Island when talking to Bethanny.

I don't mind Padma. She seems to have great fun doing her job, she often makes thoughtful comments, and she seems like a blast to hang out with, especially when you see the outtakes on the reunion show. She doesn't mind laughing at herself, she knows the culinary world, and she's gorgeous. Pretty much what the host of a reality tv cooking show should be....

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I liked Padma a lot better earlier in the series. She had more class and was nicer. I still like her okay, but I think I really got turned off by her when she made her famous "motorboat" comment.

As for the difference between a chef and a cook has to do with their schooling. You have to go through culinary school to be allowed to wear a chef's coat, and to be called "chef". You will notice some contestants on cooking shows wearing chef's coats and others wearing aprons. That is because a cook cannot wear a chef's coat. Rachel Ray is a good example, and has talked about it in the past. She calls herself a cook and says she cannot wear the coat. My daughter is in culinary school and there is strict regulation on these things in the culinary world. I guess someone could go out and buy a chef's coat, or get someone to call them "chef", but it would all be a farce if they didn't graduate culinary school.
    FireWoman likes this.

ok, I'm going to be really really honest here.
    I tried to last night and chickened out, from fear of causing people to be outraged at my remarks.

I really dislike Padma. .
    Partly because she reminds me of girls/women I'm known and partly because I don't know/just a gut reaction. She seems, to me only, like someone who knows she's attractive and has learned to play that up. Yes, I know lots of women do that, actually we all do that at times.

I checked out her husband and boyfriend(s). I saw two old homely men, with power and/or money. Same goes for her baby's father, only he's not old.
    And yes, I know some people are attracted to "mature" men. I just have my own suspicions. These men could/did do a lot for her career.

Maybe her cookbooks were "ghost" written, maybe being published was easy if you knew people with connections.
    I say that because I've never heard her make a comment that alludes to cooking/prep of food while I've heard other chef/judges do that.
    No, not all of them do nor have done it all the time.JMHO

I still have a problem with hersometimes being a vegetarian, saying, that at times, meat makes her almost gag. In my mind, that's a conflict of interest.
    If she didn't judge, and altho she's only listed as a host, she has definitely judged people at various times, it wouldn't be a conflict for me.

Her use of "motorboating" and the "M...F...Rattlesnake" is either scripted or she likes to say somewhat suggestive things for attention. I didn't think it added anything to her, JMHO.

Personally, I don't think she's beautiful as many do. Her hair is beautiful, her body is fantastic but not her face ...to me.
    I feel the same way I did when Sex and the City was popular and everyone kept saying how beautiful Sara Jessica Parker was. Not to me.

Exotic, yes, and I know that's a look that a lot of people like so maybe it's just me. "Beauty in the eye of the beholder, etc"

There I've said it and that's all I'll say.
    I certainly understand why others may not feel like I do. There is no one way to look or act. And we all have our opinions. Thank goodness.
    This is JMHO and isn't that what this forum is all about?
    And just because I don't like her, it would never stop me from watching this show because I love it.
    Last edited by Dragonlady; 11-24-2011 at 03:04 AM.

Just to clear something up about the "MFin' rattlesnakes" line, in case some haven't seen the film: Padma was quoting Samuel L. Jackson in the movie "Snakes on a Plane." And I would bet real money that the producers fed her that line in her earpiece during the scene -- I doubt she would have blurted that out on her own.

Fun fact: this isn't the first time the show has referenced that movie. In season 3, the episode where the 5 final chefs cook in Newark Airport and serve their dishes on a jet is titled "Snacks on a Plane."
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

MFWalkoff, I agree about the snake quote probably being scripted but she delivered it as though she knew what she was going to say. I don't think it was a surprise to her...if it was, she probably would have been a trifle shocked.
    And as someone already mentioned, it would have been funny if she had delivered it the same way Samuel Jackson did.
    I have a feeling you're really great at trivia. (that's a compliment, no sarcasm here.

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders View Post
    I liked Padma a lot better earlier in the series. She had more class and was nicer. I still like her okay, but I think I really got turned off by her when she made her famous "motorboat" comment.

As for the difference between a chef and a cook has to do with their schooling. You have to go through culinary school to be allowed to wear a chef's coat, and to be called "chef". You will notice some contestants on cooking shows wearing chef's coats and others wearing aprons. That is because a cook cannot wear a chef's coat. Rachel Ray is a good example, and has talked about it in the past. She calls herself a cook and says she cannot wear the coat. My daughter is in culinary school and there is strict regulation on these things in the culinary world. I guess someone could go out and buy a chef's coat, or get someone to call them "chef", but it would all be a farce if they didn't graduate culinary school.
    I'd say about 1/3 of James Beard Award winning chefs never attended a culinary academy. Some cite their education as having been trained under a chef, but most say self-taught. (Although, I bet the number attending academies increases, little by little, each year.

Being referred to as Chef has everything to do with what they do and not culinary academy education, except for those who run culinary schools or perhaps, even, students paying culinary schools the big bucks.

Also, Rachel Ray not referring to herself as a chef is very smart, IMO, because everyone successful in the culinary world refer to her as a hack and resent her television, cookbook and cookware success.

Oh, one wears an apron over their chef jacket when cooking ... or they should.
    Last edited by ryansmommy; 11-24-2011 at 10:36 AM.
    Shoepie likes this.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Yes, they do wear an apron over their chef jacket, but they cannot wear a chef jacket legitimately without going through culinary school. There is a difference between classically trained chefs and cooks - or people who have earned the chef label by paying their dues for years in the industry. The culinary world is very snooty that way. The chefs who "pay the big bucks" are paying for classical training that involves learning technique and every part of running a successful restaurant. A person who likes to cook and decides to work at a restaurant is not even close to having the knowledge that the students get.

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders View Post
    Yes, they do wear an apron over their chef jacket, but they cannot wear a chef jacket legitimately without going through culinary school. There is a difference between classically trained chefs and cooks - or people who have earned the chef label by paying their dues for years in the industry. The culinary world is very snooty that way. The chefs who "pay the big bucks" are paying for classical training that involves learning technique and every part of running a successful restaurant. A person who likes to cook and decides to work at a restaurant is not even close to having the knowledge that the students get.
    Although someone has convinced you, no one has of yet convince judges deciding recipients of the coveted James Beard Awards, etc, or even Top Chef judges Tom Colicchio, Gail Simmons and Padma Lakshmi. For example, Season 5 Top Chef winner, Hosea Rosenberg, never attended a culinary school ...

I am not disputing the value of culinary school education, only that there is no license, certificate or degree or particular education required in designation of the title, "chef."

Honestly, Padma's language in referencing the movie is pretty tame when it comes to the professional kitchen. Everyone who watches Ramsey and Bourdain know that, and for those who have done their time working in a restaurant (guilty!) they know how crude a lot of chefs can be. I think the problem comes because Padma is a beautiful woman and I guess it is more jarring for many to see her use the same language/references that many male chefs might use. It is probably unnecessary, but it honestly doesn't bother me that much.

+ Reply to Thread