+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Tom Colicchio, Head Judge

Frankly, Tom is the high point of the show for me (when it comes to that side of the table). His authority and his "realness" on camera are refreshing. He's not a Simon Cowell, looking for the sound byte but then again, he's not a monotone fembot who offers NO insight (ala Ms Joel). If he were not a part of next season, I would be very disappointed.

I like Tom, too. But I would rather see him as either mentor or judge, but not both. I think he would be a terrific mentor, though given how little time they have for the challenges, I'm not sure it would be as helpful as on PR. Would the chefs really have time to make adjustments in response to Tom's critiques?

When I read (somewhere) that Tim Gunn felt strongly that he couldn't be both mentor and judge, I thought: come on, how hard could that be? I know, silly of me to doubt Mr. Gunn. Watching Tom try to straddle the fence--it's pretty clear that the mentor/judge combo doesn't work very well.

Especially for challenges like the wedding, street food, restaurant, Ted's dinner, and Napa, I think it would have been great to have him walk through, a la Tim. It might help the chefs to have someone to talk with. And Tom seems to like talking with them as he strolls through the kitchen and he's itching to comment!

Tom's Blog

Hi. I really hope this worked. Someone on the Ep discussion thread asked if we could find a way to post Tom's Blogs because they couldn't seem to access Bravo. I gave it a try. Hope it helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tom, I was really disappointed with you in the Napa episode.

Badmouthing the dishes at all, to the chefs eating them (or even to the other judges) just should not be allowed. For all you know, you unfairly cost someone their shot.

And saying that one of the pork dishes would HAVE to go home was just bad form. Even if Lee Anne hadn't heard it, (and you had to know she was up next), talk about poisoning the well.

I normally like Chef Tom but that episode I just did not like him at all. Even his misty eyes at saying bye to Lee Anne did not make up for it. It's bad form for a judge to make fun of or snicker at the contestants. The "our friend Dave" and "Dave's a wild card" comments by the judges also bothered me. Same reason.

Hmm, don't like Tom much these days. I'm starting to see what corprip had so aptly described as his "prickish" side.

Like Brandy, my opinion of him took a downturn in the Napa episode, and in the reunion show, he just came off as such a massive jerk unable to defend himself from even the likes of Ken.

And all the talk of him being the sexy judge? Ewww. If I'm forced to give an answer, I'd rather hit some Gail action.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Welcome to Hippo Heaven dogabone's Avatar
    What has bothered me most about Tom is his continued insistence on blaming the ambitiousness of Lee Anne's menu as being the reason for the failure of the wedding challenge without once admitting that: (1) all the menus were pretty ambitious; and (2) all the menus—especially Lee Anne's—would likely have been designed differently had the chefs known the timeframe up front.
    Mother Hubbard
    Queen of the Grammar Hammers

I agree. The wedding challenge still steams me. If Tom could at least once acknowledge that they did the best they could within the parameters of the challenge, I'd feel better. They could have at least allowed them to adapt the menu to the shorter time frame. Wouldn't that still be challenge enough? Learning to be flexible within prescribed time changes?
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

FORT Fogey
    I must be the only one, but I actually liked the 2 women and Tom mix. The show did great this year so I wouldn't really understand if they got rid of them. It was new and they need to find their way a bit, which I'm sure they'd do quite well in the second season.

I liked that the women were a bit distant because it kept the emphasis on the competition - not on them.

And, I liked Tom. Despite other assessments, I think Tom was objective and did a good job. Plus, he's hot. What more can I say!

FORT Regular
    I think Tom had a hard time being an overseer and judge at the same time. I got the feeling that he was always struggling to bite his tongue while looking in on the contestants in the kitchen. I wouldn't mind if he came back as an advisor only to the chefs. I wish they would replace the host and do something different with the judging.

FORT Newbie
    while I was initially bothered by the influencing of the judges (tom), I think most agree that the guest judges should not have the deciding hand on whether a viable chef such as Lee Anne should be sent packing. I do think the 'body of work' over the course of the entire show is also a factor whether admitted or not and rightfully so.

However, I think this is the reason Tom was trying to influence them at times to use his persuasion in order to get his expected outcome...albeit a wrong one. Though the fact he states that Lee Anne probably should be one of the remaining 3 then maybe he doesn't even realize he's doing it? Can he be clueless in that respect even though he's a talented chef?

Anyhow, I started watching the reruns and got hooked on the show and have really enjoyed the recaps which is why I finally decided to register. Pretty entertaining to read other's takes on the various personalities on the show. Impressed with the details. Some must be stenographers in their day jobs.
    Last edited by gumbeaux; 05-17-2006 at 05:31 PM.

+ Reply to Thread