+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bourdain Lets It ALL Out

Bourdain Lets It ALL Out

Here's a great guest blog by Anthony Bourdain, guest judge for the Thanksgiving challenge. He lets out all his feelings about each cheftestant. Bourdain is anything but PG-13, so you'll have to go to the link to read the full thing.

http://blog.ruhlman.com/2007/01/guest_blogging_.html
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

That was a great read. Loved how he gave his thoughts with no punches pulled, and I loved how Betty got exactly 8 words of critique, basically to say she shouldn't have been there. Period. Take that, you shrill harpy!

I agree with him about Marcel and about Ilan, actually. According to him Marcel is slavishly devoted to the foams, stuff that was the rage ten years ago. He needs some soul. He needs some experience, and he needs to work with someone like Ramsay who would kick his butt from here to next week but would probably make a damn fine chef out of him. And I agree that he DOES deserve to be in the finale.

Ilan? A weasel of the first order, and with enough negative qualities that he'd probably make it far in the top chef world, but still inexperienced and devoid of any redeemable qualities as far as I'm concerned. Still, he'll probably win this week so I'd better start getting used to it.

Gah, I wish we had Harold back.

Rock on Chef Bourdain.

I might never have made all of the comments he made about Marcel...but I can't disagree with ANYTHING he said about Marcel...in fact, I can't disagree with ANYTHING that he said about ANYONE in that blog.

Well, other than he got Carlos' name wrong...

ROCK ON!

pg--seattle

PS--You've got to love a guy who says that Ilan is a conniving little weasel and then says that's what will make him a profit-making chef...

Hilarious read! Love, love love his assessments of the contestants.

Thought he was a little too high on Mikey, though. But that's personal taste. He seemed to sum up Mikey's future prospects as a top chef pretty well.

And, LOVED his take on Betty. Said it all in two curt sentences.

I think he's quite right about Marcel needing to mature and that he'd benefit from an apprenticeship with a master chef. I also agree that Marcel's extremely talented and has the potential to grow into a great chef.

And Ilan. Yes, I thought he was right on.

He also seemed a little too high on Sam both as a cook and as a person. Sam could be weasely about this pot stirring, too. Of course, Sam did come off as upstanding when compared to the Grand Weasel, Ilan.

All in all, a fun read. Thanks for posting this corprip.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Wow - GREAT assessments of the cooks. I don't think there was one thing I didn't agree with.

I didn't agree with his total description of Sam. I thought Sam was just as conniving as Ilan. He mentioning of the olive oil during the kids challenge comes to mind as a model of his personality.

Otherwise, Bourdain is pretty much on target.

Serial killer killer Winston Smith's Avatar
    I think it's funny that he went on so long about Marcel. And then felt a need to go on about Marcel a little more in the comments section. Go to any TC forum -- the Marcel thread is far and away the longest. What is it about Marcel that gets people so... like, whatever...?

THUNDERCATS, HO!

Serial killer killer Winston Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roses4me;2220309;
    I didn't agree with his total description of Sam. I thought Sam was just as conniving as Ilan.
    Me too! Obviously, Bourdain can't see past the blinders when it comes to Sam because he said this...

Bourdain:
    He helped others, took responsibility for his actions, didn't blame or explain when things went sour and consistently showed leadership qualities.
    Uh... did you not see the Camp Glucose episode, Anthony??? Or the Grey Eggs and Ham? Or what about Sam's "If Mario made it, people would love the taste of watermelon vomit!?"

FORT Fanatic
    I feel sorry for "Alex", I mean Carlos. First he can't even remember Carlo's name and then he insults him. I think he was way off the mark with regards to Sam. It's funny. If a guest judge like Mike Yakura were to make those same remarks, viewers would call him 'rude'. Bourdain makes these assessments and viewers applaud him for sh-tting on those he doesn't care for and say that "He is just telling it like it is."

FORT Fogey
    People applaud Bourdain because they know it's not an act with Bourdain. He's been brutally honest since he started speaking to the masses, and he hasn't changed that at all.

Winston, I think the reason that he didn't slam Sam for the things you mentioned is that those were valid and fair defenses -- not excuses or blaming other people. In the camp glucose episode, Sam accused cheating, and there WAS cheating. That's quite different from Elia's accusations. The grey eggs and ham, Sam took full resonsibility for, and admitted that it didn't work the way he wanted it to. And the "If Mario made it" comment was arrogant -- but it also showed he stands behind his creations.

I LOVED reading that blog. Thanks for posting it Corprip!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast