+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bourdain Lets It ALL Out

Goddess of Looks & Books nliedel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl;2224412;
    Oh I had no idea he is one of those folks who is jealous of rays success- it speaks to the arrogance within the industry. There is a place for her and if the masses enjoy her, so freakin qwhat, you know, Maybe her appeal lies in the fact she's not going to scream at someone or humilate them. Is his blog spot on regarding his observations? More or less. But, I'll tel you what, at least for me, I don't care how talented a person is, I can't abide by them or respect them if they don't behave in a way which is courteous-talent should never be uses as a reason to excuse boorish behavior that would otherwise be damned as unacceptable.
    To me he's just people. Good side, bad side. His is hanging out like a mole on his face, and that's okay. It takes someone incredibly strong, or incredibly obtuse to speak what they think without PCing it to death. On some levels I admire it and on others I find it annoy as all get out.
    I sling romance and makeup
    Home BlogMakeup Blog

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;2224560;
    Yeah! I feel vindicated. Sam and Cliff = the best chefs and decent people (although, prone to human error from time to time)
    Sam was in the bottom twice, once for the dry meatballs, next for the unappealing "toad in a hole". He had to resort to allegations of cheating in the first instance to avoid elimination. In the second instance, he was lucky to go up against Frank whose lack of telegenic appeal guaranteed he'd go before Sam. As for Cliff being a "decent" person, I don't know many decent people who behave the way he did with Marcel. This was not a mutual, boys will be boys, throw down. It was mean-spirited, hostile and demeaning attack by a member of the in group against the outcast. It was sickening.

FORT Fogey
    BurnThis -- Do you believe that Ilan was the best chef of all those entered in this season? If not, that proves that the judging is not fool proof -- which makes it irrelevant that Sam was at the bottom twice when it comes to answering the question of which of the bunch were the best overall.

FORT Fogey
    None of the contestants were ready for the Top Chef crown. Some had potential: Sam, Cliff and Marcel. But none of them had all the qualities of a top chef. It was a wasted season. Like Tom said when he announced the winner. It’s who is Top Chef for today, with a civet that others might out shine in the future.

What I find funny is the people critizining Bourdain for making 'snap' judgements about people he has only hung out with for a day. Uh, we all make judgements about people in the first couple of seconds we meet them. He gave his opinion. I don't agree with all of them, but then I was not in a face to face situation with the contestents, I did not spend all day in a production environment and eating a diner interacting with the contestents and eating their food. I do get a crappy vibe off Marcel and I don't have any sympathy for the crap he is going through because I truly believe it was all self inflicted. He dished it out and it came back on him.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2231234;
    BurnThis -- Do you believe that Ilan was the best chef of all those entered in this season? If not, that proves that the judging is not fool proof -- which makes it irrelevant that Sam was at the bottom twice when it comes to answering the question of which of the bunch were the best overall.
    It seems as if Ilan had the best dishes (except his 7 Deadly Sins dessert and liver/chocolate disaster) and that was why he was consistently at or near the top. Of course, judging is not foolproof and every week you only have to be not the worst -- you don't have to win but one time to be crowned Top Chef. As you look over what each chef prepared during the contest, many of the winning dishes are of questionable merit. For example, Sam's successful dishes were safe (I can make a mean ceviche, too) so I don't think he was the clear "best" (though his beignet thingy for the offal dish looked awesome). Similarly, Elia won one week with mushroom soup. Ilan did well primarily by faithfully recreating successful dishes from the restaurant where he worked, is that Top Chef, or top mimic? I can't say this year's judging made much sense.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2231282;
    What I find funny is the people critizining Bourdain for making 'snap' judgements about people he has only hung out with for a day. Uh, we all make judgements about people in the first couple of seconds we meet them.
    Great point. Not only do we all make judgements about people when we first meet them, but look at how many pages of how many threads we've all filled stating our judgements of contestants we've NEVER met!

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2231289;
    Great point. Not only do we all make judgments about people when we first meet them, but look at how many pages of how many threads we've all filled stating our judgments of contestants we've NEVER met!
    And reality tv encourages us to do just that... We get a false sense of intimacy and awareness (created by good writers/editors from the raw materials given to them by the contestants of these various shows, hoping to construct compelling programming) and we react to them based on how we perceive these people to be...

I've met a couple of reality tv "stars" in my life...and they are REAL people, and, for the most part, they're pretty much exactly as they appear on tv...but in some crucial ways, they're not.

Not our problem, we're just happy to watch the shows and react to what we're given. More of a problem for them, especially if you don't come across well on your show...

In the end, the people that really know you will always know you better than people who "reality" know you. And, for the rest of us...it's playtime in the fields of the "reality" we choose to watch.

pg--Thinking deeply today...but won't be so deep when TAR:AS starts.--seattle

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2231289;
    Great point. Not only do we all make judgements about people when we first meet them, but look at how many pages of how many threads we've all filled stating our judgements of contestants we've NEVER met!
    For me, that's the whole point of "reality" tv! Seriously. Most of what makes life interesting (and fun most of the time) is the diversity of the human race and interacting with its members.

In real life, we have to keep our mouths shut so we can "get along" and make the world go 'round. But how many times throughout the day do we get frustrated with people, judge them for this that or the other thing, etc.?

It's normal. It's what "we" do.

Call me a hypocrite because while I think humans' inability to put ourselves into the shoes of others is our downfall, it is also why I like reality tv. I get to judge people all day long with no harm done.

It's like eating a cake without gaining any weight.
    Last edited by Jexter; 02-06-2007 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;2232155;
    For me, that's the whole point of "reality" tv! Seriously. Most of what makes life interesting (and fun most of the time) is the diversity of the human race and interacting with its members.

In real life, we have to keep our mouths shut so we can "get along" and make the world go 'round. But how many times throughout the day do we get frustrated with people, judge them for this that or the other thing, etc.?

It's normal. It's what "we" do.

Call me a hypocrite because while I think humans' inability to put ourselves into the shoes of others is our downfall, it is also why I like reality tv. I get to judge people all day long with no harm done.

It's like eating a cake without gaining any weight.
    Thanks for the laugh, that was the best quote of the day.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234