+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bourdain Lets It ALL Out

Thanks for posting this article. It was a very interesting read and I do have to agree with most of what he says. I like his tell it like it is approach and it makes for a good blog. I am also happy to see him calling some of the chefs out on their behavior in the Marcel incident and not taking responsibility for their actions.

FORT Regular
    WOW!! He hit the nail right on the head with everyone. I'm impressed with this article. By far the most honest critic of them all. Although, the Carlos thing showed total disrespect. At least get a person's name right. Everyone deserves that.

Donna

Great article. Thanks for posting it.

See, this is the kind of judge that I want to see on this show, instead of Tom or Gail...

Quote Originally Posted by j_mado;2220974;
    See, this is the kind of judge that I want to see on this show, instead of Tom or Gail...
    I disagree.

This show wouldn't work with a Gordon Ramsey-type as a main judge for every week, every challenge. They already have that kind of show...and Top Chef, for better or worse, isn't that show. (I, for one, like Top Chef better than Hell's Kitchen...although I'd love an American version of Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares, an excellent show about turning around failing restaurants shown on BBC America.)

On top of that, remember that this article is written by someone who has watched the show--and the judges don't see what happens in the kitchen, in the rooms, in the confessionals...until the show airs. Chef Bourdain's strong opinions about who's a weasel and who needs to have his ego flattened wouldn't have been possible had he been a judge--it only came from having watched the finished, edited product of the show.

I'd rather see a Ted Allen join the judges panel than Anthony Bourdain...but I do hope that they bring Bourdain back as a guest judge as often as they can...

pg

FORT Fogey
    I'm not sure I agree with that PG. On the episode where Bourdain was a guest judge, I remember being a bit disappointed that he was so tame and kind. He can be brutally honest. But that episode proves that he can temper that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2221055;
    I'm not sure I agree with that PG. On the episode where Bourdain was a guest judge, I remember being a bit disappointed that he was so tame and kind. He can be brutally honest. But that episode proves that he can temper that as well.
    But that fits with what I'm saying--he was tame on the show because, as a judge, all he had to go with was the food he was presented with and the experience of sharing the meal with the other judges (and the five "winning" chefs, for that particular challenge.) He didn't have the perspective from watching the show to form his stronger opinions...only from watching the end result could he make these delightfully catty comments.

But, if you have a shark like that added to this show...they're added to do that. They'll find ways to start blasting chefs from the get-go... Not the "Hey, I'm watching the same show you are and I'm feeling the same way you are" comments that we just got from Bourdain...but the forced "This food is awful and you should be ashamed to call yourself a chef" comments would be my particular nightmare...

pg--Either way, I dug his blog...dug him as a guest judge...I might even start to watch HIS show--seattle

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by pg13;2221066;
    But that fits with what I'm saying--he was tame on the show because, as a judge, all he had to go with was the food he was presented with and the experience of sharing the meal with the other judges (and the five "winning" chefs, for that particular challenge.) He didn't have the perspective from watching the show to form his stronger opinions...only from watching the end result could he make these delightfully catty comments.
    The way I read it, a great deal, probably most, of the comments he made in his blog focused on things that as a judge he'd see - technique, creativity, flavor, etc. If the entire thing was snarky comments about personality, I'd agree that it fits what you're saying. But the technical aspects that a judge would see only at the judges table is the kind of stuff he builds his blog on.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2221073;
    The way I read it, a great deal, probably most, of the comments he made in his blog focused on things that as a judge he'd see - technique, creativity, flavor, etc. If the entire thing was snarky comments about personality, I'd agree that it fits what you're saying. But the technical aspects that a judge would see only at the judges table is the kind of stuff he builds his blog on.
    But he was only a judge on one episode...and didn't spend any time in the kitchen watching the food being made...

pg

I just re-read the blog. I stand by my opinion on the matter--his opinions are based more by what he watched on the show than what he experienced on the one challenge he judged.

I also noted that Bourdain commented on the comments to this particular blog, a response that was captured by Amuse-Biatch.

From Chef Anthony Bourdain
    An earlier response disappeared into the ether, but I'd like to add that Marcel deserves a lot of respect for simply having the strength to hang in there--in the face of relentless, naked hostility. It's an admirable character trait that will serve him well in the business. I'll stress again that he clearly deserves to be in the top two. Bottom line for me was: Do I want to eat his food? And: Would I ever want to hire the guy? I base my judgements/opinions, btw, solely on close viewing of every episode, on nearly 30 years as a chef/manager/employer and ONLY one day as an actual judge who ate the contestants' food. Fair comment above. And it was "Carlos" NOT "Alex". Apologies to the departed.
    pg

I think his reasoning to explain what he said for each person is very well done. That's what I liked about his article more than anything. I read Tom's and Gail's blogs on Bravo's web site, and they don't explain themselves that good. I am not talking about Ramsey, but Chef Bourdain, or anyone who is a better and more believable person than Tom and Gail would move this show to another level.

And for Ted Allen: I would like to see him as a mentor in the kitchen...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast