+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: FINAL 2 CHEFS - Speculation & ***Spoilers***

I'll say Sam and Elia-although the number two pick really doesn't matter, Sam will win. Not thrilled with any of them at this point, but I guess Sam deserves it the most out of this lot-the others are still pretty green so to speak.

Goddess of Looks & Books nliedel's Avatar
    Sam and Marcel. The boy has a lot of face time and Sam can cook a broad spectrum of dishes. Elia has serious limitations. I like her, but it's not all there. Ilan is a good chef, but Sam is better. IMO.
    I sling romance and makeup
    Home BlogMakeup Blog

Sorry y'all. I don't think Sam is going to win this.

A lot of hoopla has been made about his extended cross-country trip after the show wrapped. To me, this does not spell "winner." This to me spells a guy with such a huge ego, that after losing, he didn't want to go back to his old job. To him it would be a failure. I think he tried to put himself out there to find another position because his ego wouldn't let him go back to his old job.

Also:
    Blogging Top Chef writers posted a message from him on their site last week in which he was asking people to please vote for him as fan favorite because, as he states:

"I could really use the money since I’ve been unemployed for a few months. Any votes at all will really help me out. I’d be great if you could pass this along to all of your friends and ask them to vote for me too."

If you want to find his extended statement go to their site and search for text "last day to vote." The post has messages from other chefs begging people to vote for them, too. Including Ilan. Interestingly, there is no message from Marcel or Elia.
    Last edited by miadora; 01-22-2007 at 01:51 PM.

Goddess of Looks & Books nliedel's Avatar
    I don't think Sam taking a long trip means his ego is out of control at all. To me it sounds more like someone trying to figure out who they are and what they will do next.

I just don't read arrogance into a road trip. There may be more there than is published about why he did not return to his job. If he did lose, maybe it is shame. If he won, maybe he is trying to find some direction in his life. You can't assume anything from his plea for money. What's he gonna say? I won a butt-load and I don't need it, so don't vote for me?

I don't think anyone can assume who wins this based on behavior after the show.
    I sling romance and makeup
    Home BlogMakeup Blog

Quote Originally Posted by nliedel;2212112;
    I don't think Sam taking a long trip means his ego is out of control at all. To me it sounds more like someone trying to figure out who they are and what they will do next.

I just don't read arrogance into a road trip. There may be more there than is published about why he did not return to his job. If he did lose, maybe it is shame. If he won, maybe he is trying to find some direction in his life. You can't assume anything from his plea for money. What's he gonna say? I won a butt-load and I don't need it, so don't vote for me?

I don't think anyone can assume who wins this based on behavior after the show.
    I am speculating in this "speculation" thread. You may not agree with me, but I can speculate and assume what I wish. Just as you are.

Quote Originally Posted by miadora;2212117;
    I am speculating in this "speculation" thread. You may not agree with me, but I can speculate and assume what I wish. Just as you are.
    Nliedel did not say you were not entitled to your opinion. She said she 'DID NOT THINK' it meant Sam is arrogant.

BTW...I do not think a road trip is an indication of arrogance either.
    I cannot even think of a scenario where traveling the country would be considered arrogant.

IN JAIL, WONDERING WHERE MY KLONDIKE BAR IS!?...
    To add my 2 cents as well: Perhaps Sam did win and the reason he has travelled so much between the end of taping and waiting for it to air is to gain inspiration/knowledge to open his own place. If he won why would he go back to his old job for a couple of months or however long knowing that he would be soon leaving to open his own new place? Im sure he would need to take several months to plan and impliment that. Why take away from that time by continuing to work for someone else?
    As far as begging for money $100,000 and a brand new kitchen is alot of money for most of us , but depending on location, the scale of the resturant, and a multitude of other things involved in opening a resturant that will be a going concern it is a mere drop in the bucket and he Im sure could put to good use every dollar he can get his hands on.
    Im not saying Sam wins , but if he did these questionable behaviors seem not very questionable at all in my opinion.

As far as Elia and Marcel I'm not too sure that either of them would make it to the final 2. I got the impression at the last judges table that all of the judges (save padma re: Marcel and her pity for him) would not have had a problem sending both of them home then and there , but of course that would have ruined the drama for the part 1 of the finale. I think that Marcel has more knowledge ,but Elia has more talent than one another, but Sam and Ilan have more of both than they do. With Ilan falling behind Sam in both aspects. The same goes for the leadership role aspect of running a kitchen let alone an entire establishment. That is not to say that Sam or Ilan are great at it and dont have alot to learn still , just that they have a better handle on it at this stage of the game (with no real time left to miraculously improve overnight) for the other two. Even with all of that said I really will be surprised if Ilan makes it to final 2 , I have a feeling he will get edged out barely by Elia for some reason or another and it will be she and Sam in the final 2.

On a side note because we are stating our own opinions on things I am of the opinion that Marcel has displayed far more arrogence in this competition than Sam has (outdone only by Cliff probably). His constant need to try and steal someone's thunder when they are getting praised for something , tooting his own horn in respect to his contribution to the team when he is really only focused on his own endeavors, disparging others for their lack of help while always having an excuse as to why he isnt able to help them in return and purposely bating people in order to cause disruption are just a few of the reasons I feel this way. It is truely unfortunate that the whole ugly head shaving incident occured and I do believe that the others were out of line for what they each contributed to that situation , but in some sense it is the monster that Marcel created for himself (no, they doesnt make it right, just makes him accountable to a certain degree by making them want to do something to his person). I truely believe that Marcel has played the role he set out to play in this competition and has played it quite well putting himself in a place he may not have made it to otherwise. I may be crazy (dont answer that please) but I think I even recall a episode with Marcel saying something to that effect in one of his little confessionals or whatever you want to call them. Something about bugging them as much as he could to throw them off their game. At any rate those are my opinions. Just for the record I don't particularly like or dislike any of them (even marcel).

ETA: Tom and most of the guest judges are themselves arrogent, the difference is that they have the talent to back it up, Marcel doesnt.
    Last edited by mischief4911; 01-23-2007 at 08:33 AM.
    "YOU BREATH THE SAME AIR THE BILLIONAIRES DO" Russell Simmons

"We make a living from what we get, but we make a life from what we give." Winston Chruchill

Quote Originally Posted by mischief4911;2212877;
    To add my 2 cents as well: Perhaps Sam did win and the reason he has travelled so much between the end of taping and waiting for it to air is to gain inspiration/knowledge to open his own place. If he won why would he go back to his old job for a couple of months or however long knowing that he would be soon leaving to open his own new place? Im sure he would need to take several months to plan and impliment that. Why take away from that time by continuing to work for someone else?
    As far as begging for money $100,000 and a brand new kitchen is alot of money for most of us , but depending on location, the scale of the resturant, and a multitude of other things involved in opening a resturant that will be a going concern it is a mere drop in the bucket and he Im sure could put to good use every dollar he can get his hands on.
    Im not saying Sam wins , but if he did these questionable behaviors seem not very questionable at all in my opinion.

As far as Elia and Marcel I'm not too sure that either of them would make it to the final 2. I got the impression at the last judges table that all of the judges (save padma re: Marcel and her pity for him) would not have had a problem sending both of them home then and there , but of course that would have ruined the drama for the part 1 of the finale. I think that Marcel has more knowledge ,but Elia has more talent than one another, but Sam and Ilan have more of both than they do. With Ilan falling behind Sam in both aspects. The same goes for the leadership role aspect of running a kitchen let alone an entire establishment. That is not to say that Sam or Ilan are great at it and dont have alot to learn still , just that they have a better handle on it at this stage of the game (with no real time left to miraculously improve overnight) for the other two. Even with all of that said I really will be surprised if Ilan makes it to final 2 , I have a feeling he will get edged out barely by Elia for some reason or another and it will be she and Sam in the final 2.

On a side note because we are stating our own opinions on things I am of the opinion that Marcel has displayed far more arrogence in this competition than Sam has (outdone only by Cliff probably). His constant need to try and steal someone's thunder when they are getting praised for something , tooting his own horn in respect to his contribution to the team when he is really only focused on his own endeavors, disparging others for their lack of help while always having an excuse as to why he isnt able to help them in return and purposely bating people in order to cause disruption are just a few of the reasons I feel this way. It is truely unfortunate that the whole ugly head shaving incident occured and I do believe that the others were out of line for what they each contributed to that situation , but in some sense it is the monster that Marcel created for himself (no, they doesnt make it right, just makes him accountable to a certain degree by making them want to do something to his person). I truely believe that Marcel has played the role he set out to play in this competition and has played it quite well putting himself in a place he may not have made it to otherwise. I may be crazy (dont answer that please) but I think I even recall a episode with Marcel saying something to that effect in one of his little confessionals or whatever you want to call them. Something about bugging them as much as he could to throw them off their game. At any rate those are my opinions. Just for the record I don't particularly like or dislike any of them (even marcel).

ETA: Tom and most of the guest judges are themselves arrogent, the difference is that they have the talent to back it up, Marcel doesnt.

I agree with you on most of this. I will say that Marcel did come into it with a game plan, but these are adults who should've never let him get to them like that.
    Sam was an executive chef before TC, and Betty runs her own restaurant.
    They should have just laughed in his face when he was trying his best to bug them.

Originally Posted by nliedel

I don't think anyone can assume who wins this based on behavior after the show
    I would love to have the time and money to take a road trip. I can imagine that all the chefs would need some time off to relax and enjoy the fact that they are no longer stuck in that loft. I can't say if Sam's road trip means he lost or won. My first thought is that he won, because where would he get the money to travel if he lost? Everyone would want to win the $10,000, so Sam's plea to vote for him means nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by taffina;2212973;
    [/B]

I agree with you on most of this. I will say that Marcel did come into it with a game plan, but these are adults who should've never let him get to them like that.
    Sam was an executive chef before TC, and Betty runs her own restaurant.
    They should have just laughed in his face when he was trying his best to bug them.
    The other chefs should have ignored Marcel only associating with him when working on teams.

Quote Originally Posted by taffina;2212628;
    Nliedel did not say you were not entitled to your opinion. She said she 'DID NOT THINK' it meant Sam is arrogant.
    Nliedel: "I don't think anyone can assume who wins this based on behavior after the show."

+ Reply to Thread