+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: 11/8 Show Discussion***Spoilers***

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by 5DogWorld;2134779;
    Anyone else pretty disappointed with this season so far?

There was drama last season--Dave crying, Tiffany being...well..Tiffany, ditto with Stephen...but I always felt that the core group REALLY cared about food, not just trashing each other to win the competition.

They just seemed more professional somehow...no?

I'm behind in reading this thread. I think that this frustration is one that is common among the second season of a lot of professional / competition shows. In the first season, you've got contestants who are drawn to the chance to compete for a professional prize more than anything else. They have no idea whether the show will be a hit, or be taken off the air after the second episode airs. In the second season, in addition to those people, you've got the people who are fans of the show, seeking the chance to be on a hit TV show. I think that all in all, the professional aspect will always be more present in the first season of a profession-based reality show.

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo1;2139528;
    Exactly my point as in the preview of the upcoming episode 5 Tom C. does a 180 and tells the chefs that they have 2 hours "to fix" whatever needs fixing. How many times have you heard the judges tell the chefs that you never serve a bad dish when you could have fixed it. This was repeated so many times that it must have been ingrained in the chefs minds. So the rule that they couldn't fix their plates left them between a rock and a hard place: Serve a bad dish and get possibly eliminated or Fix a bad dish (breaking this dumb rule) and get possibly eliminated.
    I don't think you can compare that mantra in other competitions to this specific one. In most of their competitions, the rule to keep recipes identical doesn't exist. It did for this one because the nutritional / calorie component was so essential and they only had the nutritionists the day before. So some of the flexibility they usually have and are expected to use was taken away for this particular challenge.
    Last edited by Veruka; 11-13-2006 at 04:30 PM.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2139786;
    I'm behind in reading this thread. I think that this frustration is one that is common among the second season of a lot of professional / competition shows. In the first season, you've got contestants who are drawn to the chance to compete for a professional prize more than anything else. They have no idea whether the show will be a hit, or be taken off the air after the second episode airs. In the second season, in addition to those people, you've got the people who are fans of the show, seeking the chance to be on a hit TV show. I think that all in all, the professional aspect will always be more present in the first season of a profession-based reality show.

I don't think you can compare that mantra in other competitions to this specific one. In most of their competitions, the rule to keep recipes identical doesn't exist. It did for this one because the nutritional / calorie component was so essential and they only had the nutritionists the day before. So some of the flexibility they usually have and are expected to use was taken away for this particular challenge.
    If the chefs were allowed to tweak their dishes the 2nd day and still remain below the 500 calorie threshold with the nutritionist present as a monitor, all this controversy would not have come to the surface. This would have been in keeping with Colicchio's rule "If it's broke, don't serve it. Fix it."

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo1;2139805;
    If the chefs were allowed to tweak their dishes the 2nd day and still remain below the 500 calorie threshold with the nutritionist present as a monitor, all this controversy would not have come to the surface. This would have been in keeping with Colicchio's rule "If it's broke, don't serve it. Fix it."
    The problem is, that was not the rule for this particular challenge. They were cooking for a very unique clientele and keeping to an exact recipe was the rule. If people did not follow it they were cheating, even if keeping under the 500 calorie count.

FORT Fanatic
    I don't understand why the challenge covered two days. If the chefs had to produce an exact duplicate of the first days results on the second day, for better or worse, why even bother having a second day? ....Just serve to the children whatever was done the first day which would include the good stuff along with the not so good meringue cookies, really bland coleslaw, and lower calorie food prepared with less olive oil. This challenge could have been better scripted.

FORT Fogey
    By having two days, the chefs were given the flexibility to fix what didn't work ... they just had to fix it on the first day.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2140912;
    By having two days, the chefs were given the flexibility to fix what didn't work ... they just had to fix it on the first day.
    Obviously a lot of things were never fixed the first day. Betty ran out of time trying to make cookies using Splenda. I wonder what Sam was thinking? "My turkey meatballs are hard as golfballs and according to the rules I have to make some more golfballs tomorrow?" The temptation to fix on the second day what did not work on the first day must have been tremendous.As I said, what was the point of having a second day if you couldn't do anything with it unless you broke the rules for this particular competition.

FORT Fogey
    But the things that weren't fixed the first day aren't evidence that the opportunity to fix them didn't exist. The reason we hear Tom say that a chef has to fix what doesn't work so often is because in the heat of the competition, they don't do it ... just like they didn't do it this time.

The point I was disagreeing with was that it was contradictory of Tom to always tell them to fix what needs to be fixed, but then have a competition where they could not do that. The time line given shows that they had the chance to fix what needed to be fixed. Whether or not they used that opportunity does not mean it wasn't there.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2141234;
    But the things that weren't fixed the first day aren't evidence that the opportunity to fix them didn't exist. The reason we hear Tom say that a chef has to fix what doesn't work so often is because in the heat of the competition, they don't do it ... just like they didn't do it this time.

The point I was disagreeing with was that it was contradictory of Tom to always tell them to fix what needs to be fixed, but then have a competition where they could not do that. The time line given shows that they had the chance to fix what needed to be fixed. Whether or not they used that opportunity does not mean it wasn't there.
    It wasn't Tom that was contradictory. He doesn't make the rules, he only enforces them. Blame the producers. Maybe this is why Lee Anne was being brought in. Regardless of whether or not the chefs had fixed what needed to be fixed or not, at the end of the first day, whatever was on their plate was set in stone and that was what was to be served to the kids. No need for a second day unless there was considerable travel time between the kitchen and the kids camp.

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo1;2141268;
    It wasn't Tom that was contradictory. He doesn't make the rules, he only enforces them. Blame the producers. Maybe this is why Lee Anne was being brought in. Regardless of whether or not the chefs had fixed what needed to be fixed or not, at the end of the first day, whatever was on their plate was set in stone and that was what was to be served to the kids. No need for a second day unless there was considerable travel time between the kitchen and the kids camp.
    There was a need for a 2nd day. The first day was to try out recipes and work with the nutritionists. If something didn't work they had time to rework it and check it with the nutritionist. The second day was to recreate the menu fresh and serve it to the kids. They spent the whole day at the camp cooking, hanging out with the kids and then going to elimination. People did not follow the rules and unfortunately it included some of people's favorites and I wonder if this debate would be going on if it was Marcel who was accused of cheating?

FORT Fanatic
    With regards to a need for a 2nd day, I suppose it would be necessary if they were locked into serving the kids at lunchtime. This is assuming that the camp was a daycamp and the kids went home at the end of the day. As for reworking the recipes if something went wrong, yes and no. There was a time limit and chefs like Betty plain ran out of time. If it was Marcel who was accused of cheating, it would not change anything. No one would be going home as there would still be the unnamed "cheaters" out there who drowned their dishes in high calorie olive oil. Marcel may have been disliked by his fellow chefs but as far as I could tell he was not on Judge Tom's sh-t list, at least not yet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789