+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 11/1 Show Discussion***Spoilers***

I thought it was bit unfair that they didn't tell the contestants that kids were going to judge their ice cream. If they knew that kids were judging, some of them probably would have changed their ingredients. One of them would be Marcel. But then again, Ilan used bacon too, with waffles, and he wasn't in the bottom three.

I don't know why people appear on a tv show and be such an ugly person (I'm talking about Emily and Marcel). Don't they know that it would do them no good?

Quote Originally Posted by Misaru;2127493;
    I thought it was bit unfair that they didn't tell the contestants that kids were going to judge their ice cream. If they knew that kids were judging, some of them probably would have changed their ingredients.
    She did tell them that they were creating it for people that didn't eat fancy food, didn't she? That was enough of a clue for them not to try anything weird.

A couple of thoughts:

About the ice cream challange--If I'm remembering correctly 2 people used bacon and 2 people used avacado. Those two ingredients wouldn't do anything for me as an ice cream, but obviously it was the pairing of those 2 ingredients that was the kiss of death.

About the TGI Friday's Challenge--I was kind of dissapointed that the pastry chef didn't win becuase everybody was going crazy over her desert and she obviously took the time to look over the menu and try an item that was vastly different than anything they currently offered. Having said that, I'm glad Betty won with her grilled cheese. It fit the scope of the challenge perfectly.

I'm also glad Emily got booted. She must be one miserable person. Just. Ugly. Personality.

[QUOTE=Snowbird;2128069;]A couple of thoughts:

About the TGI Friday's Challenge--I was kind of dissapointed that the pastry chef didn't win becuase everybody was going crazy over her desert and she obviously took the time to look over the menu and try an item that was vastly different than anything they currently offered. Having said that, I'm glad Betty won with her grilled cheese. It fit the scope of the challenge perfectly. QUOTE]

The challenge was to make an entree, not a dessert. Tom's blog said this was the reason why she couldn't/didn't win.

[QUOTE=roses4me;2128371;]
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbird;2128069;
    A couple of thoughts:

About the TGI Friday's Challenge--I was kind of dissapointed that the pastry chef didn't win becuase everybody was going crazy over her desert and she obviously took the time to look over the menu and try an item that was vastly different than anything they currently offered. Having said that, I'm glad Betty won with her grilled cheese. It fit the scope of the challenge perfectly. QUOTE]

The challenge was to make an entree, not a dessert. Tom's blog said this was the reason why she couldn't/didn't win.
    That's also why Ilan's roasted corn did not win it was a side dish not an entree.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Yeah, well, I detest the layout of that site so I didn't read Tom's blog. I understand that it's supposed to only be an entree, but TGI Friday's might do with a few more options like the roasted corn & better deserts.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;2127193;
    Betty, Cliff and Sam are my faves. Marcel and Marisa are my least faves. Michael....hmmmm...I want to like him but his attitude! Even last night when he was in the bottom three.....just the way he stood there with his hands in his pockets was bugging me. It was kind of disrespectful to me. And then to do that sparring bit when the judges were beginning to talk to him was just more of the same. He better shape up or he is out of there.

Glad Emily got the boot last night. For all her high and mighty....I don't cook this kind of food, I don't like kids, describing a woman who was heavy when she herself isn't all that shapely just brought out such ugliness in her. I saw a lot of Tiffani in Emily last night, but I think Emily was worse than Tiff.

How Marcel thought avacado and bacon ice cream would be a shoo-in fave was just nuts! I don't think I would even try it....and I love ice cream! I would have been like one of those kids spitting it out and wiping it off my tongue with a napkin!

Marisa's desert at the fire house seemed to be a crowd pleaser with the judges and firefighters, but she too is one who better step it up soon.
    Michael is an alcoholic and shouldn't even be on the show. I can't understand how he got away with using money given to him to purchase food for the challenge and substituted beer to feed his habit in lieu of a key ingredient in his steak sandwich.

Actually Tiffani would have been shown the door for her remark that ten year olds have no palate. Only the fact that she had immunity from the quickfire saved her.

Probably the bacon/avocado combo was a bad idea. However, without the bacon, avocado in ice cream was not a bad ingredient. Carlos used avocados and his ice cream was well-received. Avocados are one of the most eaten fruits in Southern California so it wasn't something strange and foreign to the kids.

Avacado is absoolutely magical when used as a dessert ingredient. It's creamy and smooth, and the flavors it assumes when it is sweetened and frozen are very unexpected, partly benefitting from the citrus used in it to keep it from browning. Bacon is a trendy dessert ingredient these days, and I love me my bacon, so I fully embrace it.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo1;2128620;
    Michael is an alcoholic and shouldn't even be on the show. I can't understand how he got away with using money given to him to purchase food for the challenge and substituted beer to feed his habit in lieu of a key ingredient in his steak sandwich.

Actually Tiffani would have been shown the door for her remark that ten year olds have no palate. Only the fact that she had immunity from the quickfire saved her.

Probably the bacon/avocado combo was a bad idea. However, without the bacon, avocado in ice cream was not a bad ingredient. Carlos used avocados and his ice cream was well-received. Avocados are one of the most eaten fruits in Southern California so it wasn't something strange and foreign to the kids.
    First of all the judges do not see the confessionals, we the viewers do during the show. So they don't know what is going on. They see what happens at events and during the panels. Tom sees more cause he drops in during the cooking. Second of all Emily's and Tiffani's comments have nothing to do with cooking well. Tiffani came up with some great food and that is why she ended up in the finale. Emily didn't and she is gone. It's about the food as far as the judges are concerned. The show is Top Chef not Top Chef and Politically Correct. Still what's wrong with Emily saying she hates kids. She is being very honest how she feels. Not everyone likes kid; that does not make them a bad person and not eligible to compete. Their personalities make the show enjoyable for us to watch and to pick favorites and to pick the one to hate. BTW I loved to hate Stephen (Top Chef I) but he came up with some great food.

As far as Michael's decision to bye beer that was his choice to make and see where he ended up in the bottom three. I don't think he gets it that was a poor decision but it was his to make and for us to criticize.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Bearcata, I disagree just a tad with your post. (love ya, though!) The chefs are given money to buy ingredients for the challenge, not for their personal use. Michael buying beer just proves how immature he is. If I was the producer, I would have sent him packing asap.
    Last edited by roses4me; 11-05-2006 at 11:06 AM. Reason: deletion

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast