+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 10/25 Show Discussion***Spoilers***

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Gala62;2118248;
    Interesting tidbit....was reading LeeAnne's blog on Bravo and she claims after watching the episode a couple of times she noticed Marissa using a TABLESPOON as the measure not a teaspoon!

Geeeee...think that made the difference?!! LOL
    In Marisa's defense, 1 tablespoon equals 3 teaspoons, and with that amount of panna cotta to make, she probably had to use many teaspoons of gelatin. I'm sure she used a shortcut that every pastry person I know uses. If you need, say, 9 teaspoons of gelatin, you're not going to actually measure out 9 teaspoons - you'll measure out 3 tablespoons instead. 3 times faster.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by dexygus;2118451;
    In Marisa's defense, 1 tablespoon equals 3 teaspoons, and with that amount of panna cotta to make, she probably had to use many teaspoons of gelatin. I'm sure she used a shortcut that every pastry person I know uses. If you need, say, 9 teaspoons of gelatin, you're not going to actually measure out 9 teaspoons - you'll measure out 3 tablespoons instead. 3 times faster.
    The bottom line is that she used too much gelatin resulting in hockey pucks.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo1;2118467;
    The bottom line is that she used too much gelatin resulting in hockey pucks.
    Yes, I know.

First, I seriously doubt any of the contestents know what the Korean (south or north) flag or Vietnamese flags look like. I am sure they were coached on that one.

Second, the lychee incident. On one hand Otto should have kept his mouth shut outside the store and if they didn't use the lychees in the competition he could have returned them after the challenge.

On the other hand if he blares something out like that at the moment he did he needed to cover his ass and tell the team and either let them decide or make himself look good and return them.

Third, per Head Judge Tom C. he didn't have a problem with the lychee incident if Otto owned up to it cause he and the panel were ready to send Marissa home. A pastry chef who can't prepare a halfway decent dessert in her specialty does not belong on the show. Again Otto shot himself in the foot, he seems to go to extremes. You can own up to it and still continue to compete, he didn't need to bow out of the competition.

All in all Otto showed poor judgement and left himself wide open, he could have recovered from this but maybe the pressure of the competition was too much for him and he kept compounding his mistakes. Still bowing out like he did probably saved him his job.

Add me to the list of people that have ended up at home and realized they haven't paid for something. It has happened to me 2 or 3 times. Still there are times I have probably been charged for 1 or 2 items I did not have. So it evens out. It was never deliberate but it also wasn't a competition that I had make a shopping list for and had a set budget; two very different things.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 10-27-2006 at 11:50 AM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

No discussion for the 11/1 show?

There will be a discussion thread started for the 11/1 show about 10-15 minutes before it airs EST.

FORT Regular

Obviously he wasn't thinking....

I'm not certain, but didn't Otto say that he thought they got the lychees for free? If so, could it have been a statement that was meant to illicit a response?

I don't understand why Marisa did not address this in front of the store if this was such a moral quandry for her. If her story was she wasn't certain she heard him right, why didn't she ask for clarification?

Seems like there were a bunch of dunderheads on that team.

I am, by no means, the most reasonable person to comment on this issue though. I am a bit insane about the whole something for nothing thing. I once called the bank when they cashed a check into my account for 30 cents too much. When they wouldn't take the money out, I gave the 30 cents back to the COMPANY that gave me the check. So, yes, I have indeed returned to the store when they haven't charged me for something.

Quote Originally Posted by VictoryIsMine;2125210;
    I'm not certain, but didn't Otto say that he thought they got the lychees for free? If so, could it have been a statement that was meant to illicit a response?

I don't understand why Marisa did not address this in front of the store if this was such a moral quandry for her. If her story was she wasn't certain she heard him right, why didn't she ask for clarification?

I am, by no means, the most reasonable person to comment on this issue though. I am a bit insane about the whole something for nothing thing. I once called the bank when they cashed a check into my account for 30 cents too much. When they wouldn't take the money out, I gave the 30 cents back to the COMPANY that gave me the check. So, yes, I have indeed returned to the store when they haven't charged me for something.
    When they were outside the store, Otto said they got the lychees for free, later when the team was in front of the judges panel Otto said he thought that they got them for free. He changed is story and that is what really got Marissa upset.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by VictoryIsMine;2125210;

I went back to a store that gave me credit for a coupon on a product I ended up not buying. They looked like I was crazy and said to not worry about it.

My hubby returned to a store that gave him too much change, so I know what you mean.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234