+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Marcel Vigneron - Season 2

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBrat;2217577;
    so... how many different foams is he gonna have in his final dishes?
    You might ask the same question of Ilan - How much saffron is he gonna have in his final dishes?

FORT Fanatic
    [QUOTE=howie;2216738;]I just heard this interview with Elia on chow.com in which she talks about his cheating. She says that Marcel sneaked various powders (like agar) and also recipes onto the show, which is against the rules. Kind of like that guy from Runway who got booted.

Here's the link:
    http://www.chow.com/stories/10424

I don't believe her. If all the contestants knew about it, and they all hate Marcel so much, and they had no qualms about accusing others about cheating, I can't imagine that Marcel's cheating could have gone undiscovered. None of the other contestants have mentioned it in their post-exit interviews. {Unquote}

Howie,
    I don't know which set of rules Elia is referring to. According to LeeAnne's blog, production allowed the contestants to bring all the ingredients(except perishables) and equipment they could carry on the plane(210 lb limit). Certainly Ilan brought plenty of saffron and those blood sausages with him on the plane. As for the recipes, I'm sure that ALL the contestants boned up on Hawaiian food during the two month hiatus and had the recipes at their fingertips. Elia is delusional and doing her sour grapes act again.

gizmo, whether or not they were allowed to bring in outside ingredients probably differed between the regular season and the finale.

That "210 pound allowance" Lee-Ann was speaking of was for the finale specifically. Elia's objections seem to be centered around the EARLIER part of the show in California.

Frankly, the way that the show presented it on the air was that they were NOW allowed to bring outside ingredients. Why would they have phrased it that way if they always had been allowed to?

I am inclined to believe that it WAS against the rules to bring in outside ingredients earlier in the show. The real question is whether or not Marcel actually did.

Personally, I think he might have. But then someone would have to investigate, maybe by interviewing other contestants, the production, maybe even hotel staff, to see if its true.

Her other objections (the ones we saw on the show) were badly stated, even if true. And she did indeed look like an ass for not stating them so badly, and so late in the game.

Marcel reminds me of a guy I knew in college who used to turn the light off in a room whenever he left it, regardless of who else was or wasn't remaining in the room. When his focus left something, it ceased to exist for him, because he was just THAT self involved. It's not deliberate troublemaking, but inborn arrogance. Marcel moving pots without asking is like that. And I bet he didn't ask, although he may have reconstructed it after the fact in his head like he did--my acquaintance with the light switch problem literally NEVER remembered doing it, unless you confronted him at the very moment he did so, and if forced to try and recall it could literally reconstruct the moment in his head in some other fashion.

Marcel trying to railroad others in discussions of courses or ingredients is also part of the inbuilt self-involvement. He neither knows, nor cares, how it looks from the outside. His world stops at his fingertips, basically. Its not evil, or even deliberately bad, it's just the mindset of certain people.
    Last edited by Krom; 01-27-2007 at 12:55 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryvetted;2217334;
    I'm lovin' Marcel. Science and food is hot right now and he's got so many talents. Did anyone see Iron Chef with the "Tech" Chef? He won again Morimoto! He was mighty slick!
    I saw it. It was interesting to watch. The chef had the announcer befuddled with all of his "tech stuff", but the judges loved it. You have to acknowledge the place for this type of cooking.

If you watch reality remix this week-end, there is an interview with Michael. He felt that Ilan and Elia said those things at the judges table because they may have felt that Sam and Marcel were going to the finals. His opinion was it may have been a last ditch effort to stay. Try to catch his input.

Woah! Elia comes off terribly in that interview with chow. Sour grapes is right. Just because the judges didn't agree that her performance was as grand as she thought it was, doesn't mean that the process was unfair.

I don't believe her accusations that Marcel cheated one bit. If Marcel had cheated, it would've been brought to producers and judges immediately. When Marcel did nothing but annoy others, it was brought up in front of the judges. If they'd had any real ammunition, they'd have used it.

Ridiculous.

And the allegations that Marcel hired a hacker to boost his votes online? What? Amazing. To be soooo self-centered that everything that doesn't go your way must be due to cheating and unfairness?

Sometimes I wonder if the contestants actually realized that this was a competition and not simply a showcase for their talent.

Didja see the promo for Finale Part 2??

Some of the ditched ones come back!! And there's a ton of wonderful food to choose from & there's a no-limit budget... After all the drama of the past few months, and with Sam on Marcel's team, I have to think that the prize is Marcel's to lose. After slogging thru many of the Bravo blogs & those on Television WithOut Pity, it seems that the Marcel-haters have gravitated to the Bravo site... Maybe because that site is so awkward to navigate & it pisses people off is why there's so much vitriol there??? I'm tired of it; I want Marcel to win; I want this season to be over with. Now, was that OK for a first post???

FORT Fanatic
    Krom,
    As some posters have already said, if there was evidence of cheating earlier in the competition, I'm sure that someone like Mia(who accused Betty of cheating), or arch enemy Ilan, and any number of fellow contestants who disliked Marcel would have brought it up to the judges but did not because they could not. For Elia to speak up at the eleventh hour is more of an act of desperation knowing that she was on the verge of elimination. To continue to harp on her cheating allegations after she was eliminated is to me just being a poor loser. I find the pot moving incident to be ridiculous: as Colicchio said, unless there is heat under your pot you cannot claim ownership of that particular burner. In the end, Marcel moving her pot had no effect on her outcome. I couldn't believe that she considered Marcel using recipes from Joel Robichon(sp) as cheating. All the chefs were guilty of using recipes that they were familiar with(place of work) and adapting them to the challenge. Did she include Ilan in her cheating/recipe allegation? Ilan whose every elimination win was based upon something he had learned at Casa Mono and was Spanish in theme and included the use of saffron? I also hope someday that we find out why she was demoted from sous chef to asst room chef but "cannot speak about it per MGM Grand." Her last accusation was the cherry on top of the whipped cream: Marcel hired a hacker to boost his popularity rating...that's something that you might hear from an elderly person whose mind is about to "lose it".
    Last edited by gizmo1; 01-27-2007 at 05:22 PM.

gizmo, that's well and fine, but your earlier arguments were surrounding the fact that they were given a "210 pound allowance". I felt I had to point out that you were mixing up the allowance for the finale and the rules for the REST of the show.

That said, I admitted, even in that previous post, that while I think Marcel self-involved enough to cheat, the mere fact that Elia threw out that argument near the end was stupid no matter what, and we ourselves are in no position to know unless the show has released details of an investigation from talking to others involved in the show.

Of course it could also be argued that its possible to create a show where things have been edited to NOT show the other contestants talking about Marcel's "cheating" to give the impression it was simply a last minute move by Elia. We don't know what's on the cutting room floor from earlier in the season. I'm not saying I believe this to be the case--in fact I find it unlikely--but I do think the fact that its possible weakens the "we didn't hear anyone say it before now so its not true" argument. On a reality show its ALWAYS possible we didn't hear something because we weren't allowed to, not because it wasn't said.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fanatic
    (oops sorry--I already posted this in the wrong place--I meant to post here, in the "Marcel section")
    I've just joined this site and I don't know where to begin! I have been blowing the "Marcel as whipping boy" horn since the jump. All we viewers have to go on is the editors' choices as to what we see but...Marcel appears to have taken the high road in every confrontation so far, starting with the "Betty Brawls". He always tried to walk away, and didn't resort to name calling or cursing. Even after the Cliff thing, he didn't run to the powers that be and "report" Cliff. He just took the mistreatment and resolved to push on. And when Cliff departed, didn't Marcel say something about being "sorry about how things turned out"?

As for Sam, while I initially liked him and agree that he was a top contender...hasn't ANYone realized what a spineless weasel he is? lol
    He agreed to the shaving Marcel plan then backed out yet did NOTHING to get Cliff to stop. When Elia brought up Marcel's behavior and "cheating" Sam said" If you're gonna say anything to the judges, it should be about the cheating". Then, when Elia brought it up, he left her there to twist in the wind. If you watch the episodes, you can always see him weighing what he says, who he backs, depending on how he'll come out looking. He never took a stand about any problem (unless you count him "getting back" at Marcel for his POLITE refusal to help Sam plate his dish). And, while he was definitely one of the better chefs, he really deserved to leave the week Michael was eliminated.

Now I KNOW Michael had no chance of getting much farther than he did anyway BUT... THAT challenge, when each team opened a restaurant, was Sam's loss all the way. Michael was such an obvious scapegoat to save Sam, the perceived "leader" of that challenge.
    The team lost because they served no wine and Sam's dish was disgusting. In which episode did you ever hear a judge say "his dish made me sick to my stomach" and the chef did NOT get eliminated?? Michael went to get the supplies agreed upon by the WHOLE team. NOBODY thought to buy olive or bread plates...why should only Michael be penalized for the oversight?? Secondly, Michael didn't buy wine glasses because Sam and Ilan didn't figure wine into their food budget. No wine, no glasses necessary. Also, Michael had to help the inept designer put together some of the furniture, which he did as best he could. If the contestants are judges on that challenge, not on their "body of work", then Sam was so the obvious choice. I wonder if there will be a reunion show as I'd be interested if Michael might suggest that he got a raw deal.

I had hopes for Elia going all the way but sadly, I feel she left looking like a very poor loser, desperately grasping at straws to save her own ass. The scene was so humiliating, I cringed.

FORT Fanatic
    Mike in his latest interview stated that Sam was at fault for not putting a stop to Cliff's manhandling of Marcel instead of just sitting there doing nothing.

+ Reply to Thread