+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Marcel Vigneron - Season 2

FORT Fogey
    No there is no law about hair nets. It's up to the chef and how he wants his kitchen to be run. Most resturants chains like TGIF and Red Lobsters require hair nets but upscale resturants don't.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Can you imagine Marcel's hair if it wasn't "bouffed" up? I'd love to see that!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

LG.
    I can just tell you that finding a hair in my food totally grosses me out. Even if I'm the one who cooked it so it is most likely my own hair. Gag. I think the requirements for hairnets would be a state-by-state issue, as it would fall under the regulatory authority of the health codes. When I worked at Micky Dees we had to have all of our hair up off our collars, so people with long hair had to have it up and under our lovely red hats.

about Marcel, I find him annoying, but her certainly didn't deserve to have his face pushed into the floor like that.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Cliff being an overly pushy, aggressive bossy S.O.B. has very little to do with Marcel being a self-important annoying selfish overblown twit. The two are mutually exclusive. One does not negate the other.

Marcel provoked the others in the sense that he's an ass. Going out of his way to be difficult. Pushing his views on others in team situations. Constantly objecting to other's suggestions but not giving intelligent alternatives. Diddling with others concentration, but whining and ranting if anyone ever interferes with his. Arbitrarily duplicating ingredients in other's courses. Making arrogant statements about how much more advanced his palate is than others, but not being able to defend his losses intellectually. Stuff like that.

The fact that the above is true doesn't mean he deserves physical assault. But the fact that he doesn't deserve physical assault does not transform him into a hero, or even a complete victim. It doesn't redeem him that someone else in the show acts like a moron, even if that transgression is against him and is excessive.

I think its just human nature that we respond to situations like this by casting heroes and villains. Victims and assaulters. "Bad guys" and "good guys". The virtuous and the sinners. But what do you do when both parties are sinners? When the options are "dumb" and "dumber"? That's the case here. Cliff showed himself to be a bully and an idiot, lacking decent judgment and the qualities of a real leader. But so has Marcel, except that it's been on other days in other ways.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2214682;
    Cliff being an overly pushy, aggressive bossy S.O.B. has very little to do with Marcel being a self-important annoying selfish overblown twit. The two are mutually exclusive. One does not negate the other.

Marcel provoked the others in the sense that he's an ass. Going out of his way to be difficult. Pushing his views on others in team situations. Constantly objecting to other's suggestions but not giving intelligent alternatives. Diddling with others concentration, but whining and ranting if anyone ever interferes with his. Arbitrarily duplicating ingredients in other's courses. Making arrogant statements about how much more advanced his palate is than others, but not being able to defend his losses intellectually. Stuff like that.

The fact that the above is true doesn't mean he deserves physical assault. But the fact that he doesn't deserve physical assault does not transform him into a hero, or even a complete victim. It doesn't redeem him that someone else in the show acts like a moron, even if that transgression is against him and is excessive.

I think its just human nature that we respond to situations like this by casting heroes and villains. Victims and assaulters. "Bad guys" and "good guys". The virtuous and the sinners. But what do you do when both parties are sinners? When the options are "dumb" and "dumber"? That's the case here. Cliff showed himself to be a bully and an idiot, lacking decent judgment and the qualities of a real leader. But so has Marcel, except that it's been on other days in other ways.
    Absolutely brillant post Krom. Very well said.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2214686;
    Absolutely brillant post Krom. Very well said.
    Why haven't I seen all this bad stuff that Marcel has done? As far as whining, it sounds more like something Sam would do like mention the extra use of olive oil when his own dish(turkey golfballs sucked), or mention Elia's frozen waffle when his own storebought burnt/black bagel sucked. Anything to deflect the blame from his own failures. Sam's last line of defense is to bring up his diabetes as an excuse. Marcel on the other hand just accepted a poor rating at the judges table stoically. As far as team challenges are concerned, Marcel has always been ready to help his team mates and do more than his share.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo1;2214765;
    Why haven't I seen all this bad stuff that Marcel has done?
    My guess would be that typically, when there's a person on a show you like, you overlook things that person has done. I mentioned in one of the threads for this show a while ago, I find Sam hot. Therefore, a lot of the things that people point out that he's done, I see as no big deal. It's all in the eyes of the beholder.

I think that if you look at it, Marcel even admits to a lot of the bad stuff he's done. He plays to the camera incredibly well. For example, he's lamented in some of his interviews, and the scene where he was writing poetry / rapping on the roof, about being the outcast. But he's also declared in interviews that he doesn't care that he's on his own, because he didn't come there to make friends. Can't have it both ways.

There have been many times, as Krom mentioned, where Marcel has refused to help someone else. He justifies this. But he also doesn't accept the justificaiton from others when they refuse to help him. Can't have it both ways.

He's admitted to the camera that he enjoys pushing people's buttons. Pushing people's buttons is going to turn people against him. Can't have it both ways.

I firmly believe that a lot of Marcel's actions are VERY passive agressive. So a lot of it can be justified on the surface. Consider the number of team challenges where he's hemmed and hawed about which course he wanted to prepare, what ingredients he wanted to use, etc. The others wait patiently for him to make up his mind -- but as he's hemming and hawing, he's costing all of them prep time.

If Marcel was half as critical of himself as he is of those around him, I don't think there'd be much of a problem with him. But he places VERY high standards on everyone else, and wonders why he's not being cut more slack. To me, it all boils down to not being able to have it both ways.

It's known as "you can dish it but you can't take it".

And if you watch the shows carefully, Marcel only started making a point of helping some of the others AFTER they got on his case about not helping out.

His belief in his own superiority (often with very little other than some foam to justify it) is also a constant presence. Only in the later shows did he start to throw in the occasional vague acknowledgment of others. Earlier on it was all about how they were all drudges (except maybe Elia, who he already had a relationship with) and he was the only original and talented one there.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2214682;

Agreed!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I can't remember Sam bringing up his diabetes to use as an excuse. Can someone refresh my memory? I do know that he has made mention of it, but that's all. If you are diabetic, you have to think differently about food.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread