+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: What kinds of challenges would you like to see for Season 2?

FORT Newbie

What kinds of challenges would you like to see for Season 2?

Hooray for season 2! I wonder what kinds of challenges (quick fire and elimination) the chefs will have to contend with. What would you guys like to see?

I was thinking it would be cool if they did something like Project Runway's "Barbie" challenge where the winning design was marketed as a special doll by Mattel complete with the winning designer's face (Nick!) on the box.

TC sort of did something like that with the sandwich challenge, but maybe they could team up with one of their sponsors like KC Masterpiece and do a "BBQ sauce" challenge. hehe Miguel would've loved that.

FORT Regular

Chef Betty Revisited

After that whole thing with the box cake vs. scratch, I would really like to see them all have to make 3 or 4 tier cakes, from start to finish, in scratch mode. I still cannot get over why those cooks are so afraid of making pastry.

Also, a new flavor of ice cream made from scratch would be fun.

Welcome to Hippo Heaven dogabone's Avatar
    I'd like to see the chefs tackle food for a restricted diet—e.g., diabetic, wheat-free, lactose-free, or kosher. In fact, kosher could bring a twist. Start by asking them to prepare a kosher recipe, then spring on them that it must be kosher for Passover (more restrictions). The food itself would not have to be strictly (glatt) kosher; it could simply be kosher style—just follow the rules about not mixing milk and meat; restricting meats to beef, lamb, veal, goat, and venison (farm raised, though); using only fish with fins and scales; etc. Then, throw in the restrictions on leavening, and you'd have one heck of a challenge.
    Mother Hubbard
    Queen of the Grammar Hammers

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm so over me View Post
    Hooray for season 2! I wonder what kinds of challenges (quick fire and elimination) the chefs will have to contend with. What would you guys like to see?

I was thinking it would be cool if they did something like Project Runway's "Barbie" challenge where the winning design was marketed as a special doll by Mattel complete with the winning designer's face (Nick!) on the box.

TC sort of did something like that with the sandwich challenge, but maybe they could team up with one of their sponsors like KC Masterpiece and do a "BBQ sauce" challenge. hehe Miguel would've loved that.

How about a mini bake oven challenge?

I would also like to see a low-calorie or some sort of restricted diet challenge.

Give all of the chefs the same box of ingredient options and have them create a meal.

Barbecue or grilling

Remake a classic dish with new ideas.

A kid-friendly recipe, like they do on the food network for cook with your kids week. Tiffani would despise this challenge.

How about a meal for first class on an airline?

I'd like to see them serve seniors. My mom is 93 and has certain dietary needs. A group of VFW's at a meeting would be great. None of the chefs should have a problem cooking and serving them (ala Tiff with the kids).

Seniors love food, as we all do, but there's so many things they can't eat anymore, such as seeds, pineapple (interacts with meds), corn, whole wheat bread, raw celery, and much more. Of course, not all seniors are the same, but in general, they have similar needs.

I'd love to have them create a new ice cream flavor from scratch as I'm related, by marriage of a cousin, to a internationally known ice cream person. I'd love to see him as a judge! To answer everyone's question, NO, I don't get any freebies. I don't even get discounts or coupons.
    < sniff sniff >

Have each contestant create an entire meal, go out on their alloted budget and purchase all their ingredients, then switch the chefs with the ingredients. Similar to the Ted Allen thing but this time keep the chefs isolated with only the ingredients they end up with in a kitchen (I like the idea of having some challenges wherein the contestants whip up their dishes with no one else around). The stipulation is that all ingredients are in the grocery bags and ALL ingredients originally chosen have to be used.

Have each chef create a plate to impress then have each contestant teach a culinary student to recreate the dish. This would be an excellent response to the chefs always saying how they "love to teach."

Fast food...make them work in a fast food restaurant creating and selling their own take on a Whopper/Big Mac/Single with cheese kinda thing...and see how fast they last at a lunch rush near a construction site

FORT Fogey
    PB & J, there are chefs and pastry chefs. They are two seperate careers. It would not be interesting to see chefs struggle through a dessert course challenge when their hearts and training lie elsewhere.

I would like to see vegetarian meal, brunch and comfort food challenge.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat View Post
    PB & J, there are chefs and pastry chefs. They are two seperate careers. It would not be interesting to see chefs struggle through a dessert course challenge when their hearts and training lie elsewhere.

I would like to see vegetarian meal, brunch and comfort food challenge.
    Maybe they could have a challenge for the chefs to work with a pastry chef preparing menus for a party or reception.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast