+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bravo Orders Second Season Of Top Chef

FORT Regular

Seen More Life From RoadKill

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome View Post
    He is even worse than the current host. They should have someone who knows food since they help with the judging, maybe Ted Allen.
    LOL! I wasn't really serious about Tom Bergeron being the host (but I like him, nonetheless). I was just suggesting that the whole show needs some livening up, and anyone is better than RoadKill Joel. On PR, Heidi does take on her share of judging duties, and so you have a point about the host if Bravo stays with that formula. More than that, I would like to see a knowledgeable, personable chef as a Non-Judging mentor. You can learn alot from someone who knows how to ask the chefs the right questions and get answers while in the middle of the challenge. I hope Bravo does make some postive changes for season 2 since the show has alot of potential.

I'd also really like to see the chefs do a fancy cake/dessert challenge next season.

For the next season, I'm sure they'll learn from this season's shortcomings.

Yes, I'm sure Mrs. Piano Man will be replaced. She's lovely but that robotic delivery! I'm sure she'll be sent back to Stepford. As for replacements, I can't imagine Rachel Ray or anyone else from Food Network appearing on Bravo. I actually dig the icy demeanor of the panel and think it's been a concious effort on Bravo's part to have a more cerebral panel rather than the "warm fuzzy" personalities of Food Network.

As for my whole suggestion about having some challenges wherein the judges have no idea who created a dish: yes, there will definitely be a point where you will know which chef created something ("The chocolate mousse has undertones of miso & hiso & moso? Must've been whipped up by Stephen"). But by definition that's also the point...remember the first challenge was to create a "signature dish?" I believe that when you're at the level of "Top Chef" your creation should stand alone. If a chef has to continually rely on only a handful of ingredients or techniques, then they really can't make it far in the competition. By not saying who created what until after judging, the viewers along with the panel learns thru the course of competition who has the versatility and talent to go on.

FORT Fogey
    I think that if they make any big changes for the second season, they need to alter the quickfire challenges. I think there should be a prize for each one - but the contestants don't know until the judging is done what the prize is. Sometimes, it can be immunity. Sometimes, being the leader of the group for a team challenge. Sometimes, a "thing", like a trip somewhere. If they did that - and included both immunity AND leadership at various times, I think it'd make for some interesting strategizing. You'd really WANT to win if it's immunity. But you may be vulnerable if you're the leader. So do you try to win the quickfire, or not?

Good point Veruka. LeeAnn really didn't "win" when she won the quickfire last week. It made her more vulnerable! That part isn't working.

And Katie Lee needs to go. Maybe Dave (if he doesn't win) can be the new host? LOL (kidding)

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    The wedding challenge this season was riduclus. 16 hours! That's worse that PR's rushed schedules.

I would like to see teamwork added as a component. On Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, eventhough Ramsey yells and screams he points out that a good team leader in the kitchen is able to motivate and communicate with their staff.

Either Mrs. Joel should get a voice coach over the hiatus or they need to find a new host.

I would like to see the contestants all given the same basic ingredients have them cook an original dish.

Bravo should ask the chefs from this season to choose a Quick Fire challenge and the episode challenge. I'd like to see the winners of the challenges get some cool prizes, too.

A comedian would be fun to replace Ms. Robot as the host. At least we'd be entertained. A potted plant would be better, but that's beside the point. lmao

FORT Regular

May I Suggest..

Having different lead people (host, mentor, judges, etc.) could really improve season 2 big time.

Having a funny host? Is this where I jump in and suggest Tom Bergeron? Okay, I know some of you don't like him; but I thought he was really funny on "Dancing with the Stars".

I'd at least like to see someone bring a little humor to the judging session. There were a couple of episodes when I was singing "Lighten up, it's just food!" (OK, I didn't actually sing it, but I was thinking it). One of the things I liked about PR was that the judges took the judging seriously but were able to make the session entertaining. I think Ted Allen would be good--he knows food and seems to be quick with a joke or an insightful comment.

In fact, I'd like to have seen a bit more humor from the contestants, too. The snackmaster challenge was wonderful!

Not sure the blind judging would work--as others mentioned, the contestants bring a certain style with them (same with PR).

As for challenges:
    1. I liked the wine/truffle challenge--it allowed them to be creative and they all had to make something to showcase a particular ingredient. That would be kind of fun. Whether it is "the great chicken challenge" or "ginger, ginger everywhere" or "making the most of marshmallows", it would give them all a common ingredient and seeing what they do with it.

2. I liked the streetfood challenge. They could just repeat that with some kind of twist.

3. I liked the restaurant challenge, though I'd rather see it where everthing but the food was already there--tablecloths, dishes, glasses, etc. That way, all three would have to work on preparing the dish and the front-of-the-house person only switched to that role to set up the dining room and then work the customers. Stephen's shopping trip was entertaining, but he ended up not working in the kitchen at all.

4. Create a new flavor of ice cream.

5. Create a new salad.

6. I didn't like the wedding catering episode, but I liked the Ted Allen dinner, so something along those lines would be good.

As a writing assignment for some third graders I had them create a brand new berry and fruit to use in a new candy. Their imaginations were incredible! Anyway, I started a Quick Fire thread here, so maybe these 2 threads can be merged into one for QF and regular challenge ideas. A mod would have to do that.

How about Robin Williams for a host? At least once to ease the tension. He lives in the area where the show was filmed. That would be too funny!

Welcome to Hippo Heaven dogabone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky View Post
    I would like to see teamwork added as a component. On Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, eventhough Ramsey yells and screams he points out that a good team leader in the kitchen is able to motivate and communicate with their staff.
    Glad you cited Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, because you'll also have noticed that he emphasized making the right food for the target audience. I loved when he tried to get that one place off its gourmet high horse and make it prepare comfort food with flair for a consumer base that would appreciate it. (Stephen could take a lesson from that.)

He also emphasized keeping the cooks in the kitchen and the front-of-house staff out front, with each playing to its own strengths. And he worked around tight budgets, too!

All in all, I think Stephen should apprentice with Gordon Ramsay. And the verbal abuse might help loosen him up a bit!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast