+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Recipe of the Week

I just looked up those two recipes today. Thanks for posting John. I dont' get the show but it's fun to read what's yummy.

I agree the dessert sounds marvelous but whoa, the work involved. The snapper sounds pretty easy to do. Chanterelles are quite expensive here and only found dried in packages. When I was out on Vanvouver Island, my sister's ex was a chef at a golf and country club. We went to "secret" places in the wilds and hunted down buckets of chanterelles. They go for hundreds of dollars as the season is so short and there are limited amounts available. But OH, the taste.

I think we should invited lambikins in to check out the difficult recipes and suggest easier more comparable ways us regular folk can enjoy. I think I'll send her a pm right now!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    I just looked up those two recipes today. Thanks for posting John. I dont' get the show but it's fun to read what's yummy.

I agree the dessert sounds marvelous but whoa, the work involved. The snapper sounds pretty easy to do. Chanterelles are quite expensive here and only found dried in packages. When I was out on Vanvouver Island, my sister's ex was a chef at a golf and country club. We went to "secret" places in the wilds and hunted down buckets of chanterelles. They go for hundreds of dollars as the season is so short and there are limited amounts available. But OH, the taste.

I think we should invited lambikins in to check out the difficult recipes and suggest easier more comparable ways us regular folk can enjoy. I think I'll send her a pm right now!
    Well, having read Miguel's Dessert: "The Total Orgasm", I guess I'm going to have to join a nunnery and give up sex.

I've made some pretty complicated desserts in my time, but this one was gilding the gilded lily, and then dipping it in gold again, for good measure. I have NO doubt that it tastes fantastic when eaten, but what NORMAL person in this century is going to go through that bother??? There's more preparation involved in this dessert (which can't sell for more than $10.00) than the Thai Snapper (which probably sells for $20-$30 per entree.)

I might try the hot chocolate and whipped cream; that sounds nice. Or, the inclusion of coconut milk in tapioca, topped with a diced or sliced mango/strawberry topping would also be very simple and inexpensive to make. But the rest of the dessert: I couldn't be bothered.

I do question the roasting time on the butternut squash, however. I make Roasted Butternut Squash soup a couple of times per month, and it takes a full HOUR at 350 degrees. A fifteen minute "roasting" time would barely warm it up. I can't figure out the discrepancy.

Thanks for letting me know about this thread, misskitty; I don't receive Bravo either, so I'll have to live through the recipes, rather than watching them be created.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann View Post
    It would take me two days just to make it.
    ^^^ yeah that!

It sounds good reading it... but who has the time to actually make this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    I do question the roasting time on the butternut squash, however. I make Roasted Butternut Squash soup a couple of times per month, and it takes a full HOUR at 350 degrees. A fifteen minute "roasting" time would barely warm it up. I can't figure out the discrepancy.
    hi LAMBIKINS: I agree with your assessment of the dessert, way too complicated!

but, on the squash, I wonder if the fifteen minutes roasting time might be for a professional convention oven, which none of us own, right?!?! For me, it would be an hour in a traditional oven as well. just a thought . . .

PP
    it's really perennialprincess, there just wasn't enough space to fit it all in!

A dessert called "THE TOTAL ORGASM" intrigued me at first. Then, after reading how labor intensive it is, I kind of felt sorry for the chef who created it. Makes me wonder who he/she is sleeping with that they think this is better than sex! :dunno

In addition to the convection ovens, maybe Harold cut the butternut squash into pieces before roasting it. It would certainly roast faster than a squash simply cut in half.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Quote Originally Posted by corprip View Post
    In addition to the convection ovens, maybe Harold cut the butternut squash into pieces before roasting it. It would certainly roast faster than a squash simply cut in half.
    For my soup, I cut a butternut in half, and then into chunks...and it still takes an hour, in a regular oven to roast enough to be pureed. Must be a convection oven.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Bannana
    A dessert called "THE TOTAL ORGASM" intrigued me at first. Then, after reading how labor intensive it is, I kind of felt sorry for the chef who created it. Makes me wonder who he/she is sleeping with that they think this is better than sex!
    I couldn't agree more with you, Ana Bannana. I rarely watch any cooking shows because of the unrealistic approach to cooking. There's labor intensive and then just plain "silly". Yes, I'm aware that this show is designed to showcase a chef's skills, but it would be like a decorating show entitled: "How to redo your kitchen spending only a million dollars!" I do understand their attraction of pure fantasy, however. My friends husband, who only grills, is addicted to these shows; he enjoys the leaning tower of whatsits that they come up with each week.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I must be in the minority, because I love fussy recipes. It's all about mise en place, i.e. preparation. If every thing is prepped and measured, executing a recipe like Miguel's comes down to working in steps. Speaking strictly technique, the most difficult part is the pate a choux, and even that isn't terribly difficult once you get the basic ratios down.

Now would I want to spend the time getting all of it together? For this particular recipe, no; but something like it that appeals to me more, definitely.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    For the hot hot chocolate:
    (serve cold)
    I find this exact quote hillarious for some reason. Thanks for the laugh, John!
    Check out my avatar It's Chad Michael Murray!

lambikins!

Thanks for the suggestions and doing only part of the recipe. That makes a lot of sense. As corprip said, I don't mind fussing a bit over a great recipe, just not giving up my life to do it . I think the cream puffs and filling would actually be ok to do. Just not with everything else that was included on the presentation plate.

I do like the spicy whipped cream idea and may think of trying it by itself in a cup of something wickedly hot and probably chocolate. I dont' expect tea to work. Now, if we just add in some kind of alcoholic tincture, we may just have ourselves a brand new drinky-poo. . Now then, what would work well with that? Grande Marnier? Drambuie?

Any thoughts?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread