+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Judge Blogs

Thank you H2O.

I was amazed that Gail liked Dave's outburst towards Tiffani. This must mean they're getting tired of her attitude. I noticed both judges' patience was wearing thin with Stephan, too.

Fun reading everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by roses4me View Post
    Thank you H2O.

I was amazed that Gail liked Dave's outburst towards Tiffani. This must mean they're getting tired of her attitude. I noticed both judges' patience was wearing thin with Stephan, too.

Fun reading everyone!
    I had a slightly different perception: that the judges were just happy that Dave not only wasn't crying, but that he was actually confident and articulate and standing up for himself and his work. I didn't see it as they were particularly happy to see Tiffani "slapped" (they may have been, but I didn't see that in the blog).

The only thing that I saw that Gail said about Tiffani was that she and Harold worked well together, not anything about her attitude. Yet, Gail went on & on about how different Dave was--confident, not flustered, not crying, in his element--even at the judge's table. I just thought her comments were "all about Dave". I was excited to see it ... though I think he went over the top and wasn't professional (he made it personal).

That said, I think the judges have a pretty good read on everybody. Miguel is a sous chef, Stephen is the verbose and pompous wine educator, Tiffani is a good chef but has an attitude problem, Lee Anne is a good & professional chef but needs to wow them with the food a little more, and Harold is a good & professional chef who is more comfortable in the kitchen.

Yep, you're right Alpha. I must have been reading recaps at other sites and got confused. Call it a senior moment. I reread the blogs and you're very accurate and astute. Sorry if I misled anyone.

The judges do have a good read on everyone. I'm waiting for Lee Anne to wow the judges, too. It looks like Harold is going to win. He doesn't "wow" me, though, he's just a quiet man doing a good job. Nothing more, nothing less, in my humble opinion.

I loved it when Gail said Dave saying what he said to Tiffani was a great moment for all underdogs. Lol.

Now I have a mental image of Dave in that cartoon Underdog suit!

Quote Originally Posted by roses4me View Post
    Yep, you're right Alpha. I must have been reading recaps at other sites and got confused. Call it a senior moment. I reread the blogs and you're very accurate and astute. Sorry if I misled anyone.
    Awww ... don't be sad! Actually, I had just read the blog before I came to the site, so it was pretty fresh in my mind. Another couple of hours (or a glass of wine) and who knows ...

Anyway, looking forward to the next epi--catering a wedding. What could possibly go wrong there?

(I love these little smile inserts--I just have to figure out what to say to use them! OK that's 2 down)

FORT Fogey
    I saw that Gail was pleased with David's ourburst because it was appropriate for the situation. She would not have praised his actions had it been unfounded. So to me it was clear that she saw Tiffany as being nasty or cutting in her comment.

FORT Fogey
    Over the past couple of weeks, and especially this week, I think that Tom has done a fantastic job in his blog of sticking a pin in the inflated ego of Stephen in a way that calls him on his baloney without cruely bashing him. I loved the way he talked this week about Stephen being determined to raise the bar, and his need to find a customer base that loved being talked down to in order to achieve that.

FORT Fogey
    Except for Tom's big head the three panelists have no camera presence. I wouldn't even recognize them on the street.

H2O

H2O

Couple of quotes...

From Tom's Blog... "Stephen truly believes that he will single-handedly "raise the bar" for the rest of us. And indeed he may to heights of culinary and oenophilic rapture that mere people can't hope to appreciate. And when that happens, there may be diners somewhere who will happily pay to be hectored, lectured, and reminded of their inferior knowledge. But if those guests are out there, in twenty-five years on the job, I haven't met them."

From Tom's Blog..."Frankly, with five talented, capable people on board, and a smart, focused leader like Lee Anne, they should have divvied up the shopping and then returned to the kitchen that night to remove food from their packages, prep vegetables, clean fish and meat, etc. In other words get everything set up and ready to go. Then they should have broken out the cake mix and made the cake, wrapping the individual layers tightly to maintain freshness.

And then they should have gone home and slept for 5 hours.

The next morning, they could have started early prepared and rested. This would have enabled them to cook things a la minute, rather than way ahead of time, which makes for flavorless, tepid food. They could have assembled and frosted the cake, then decorated it imaginatively moments before wheeling it out. They would have been tired, but not depleted, and thus capable of making trigger-quick decisions, and paying careful attention to detail. They would have been able to focus on technique and execution, and even add the subtle flourishes that raise a dish from rote to remarkable.

They did none of this."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast