+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 3/17 Top Chef 13 Season Finale Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

3/17 Top Chef 13 Season Finale Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

"Finale" - The top chef is crowned in the Season 13 finale. Before that, the final two culinarians must prepare the meal of their lives for their mentors and fallen colleagues. Appearing: Emeril Lagasse; Dominique Crenn; Jonathan Benno; Hubert Keller; Charlie Palmer; and Jean-Georges Vongerichten.

Amar or Jeremy -- place your bets and enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: 3/10 Top Chef 13 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

It was pretty evenly matched the whole way, but in the end...

Jeremy is Top Chef.

Congrats to him, and to Amar for shining and really impressing, and to a good, non-cheesy season!
    tinderbox likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: 3/17 Top Chef 13 Season Finale Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

Bleh, after Phillip was gone, the only person that I would mind winning was Jeremy, and he won. I thought it would be him since the feedback he had was slightly better than Amar's. I didn't like Jeremy's comments after Amar chose Kwame first. It was like "oh, you're gonna pick Kwame first? IT'S ON!" Amar is allowed to pick whoever he wants and it was luck of the draw. After all, Jeremy picked Kwame in the previous episode. It was kind of weird; he seemed to take it personally that Amar picked him. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that's how it seemed to me. It showed all the eliminated contestants walking into the restaurant before final service. I would have liked to hear their feedback on some of the dishes. Showing all the people that had been on the season would have been a nice way to end it.

It seems like this season went on forever with that December start and 2 week break over the holidays.
    sparklete likes this.
    "In spite of all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart, just as pure as you were at the age of eleven, when you stared into a mirror that reflected your heart's desire, and it showed you only the way to thwart Lord Voldemort, and not immortality or riches."

FORT Fogey

I was happy for Jeremy and loved his reaction to winning. It is funny that for a final in Vegas, where luck in the finale was emphasized, that each time someone had luck on their side they lost. In round 1 of the finale, Marjorie won the choice of all ingredients and was eliminated. And then this week Amar had the luck of first pick for his team, and lost. Guess the luck side of Top Chef wore out!
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

I disagree with the comment that the judges gave Jeremy the edge in liking his food a little bit better...Jeremy's duck was almost raw and they were not pleased with that at all. His dessert with the honey water ball or whatever it was called, was criticized by everyone. Amar's lamb was a little under done but nothing like the feedback on Jeremy's undercooked, almost raw duck! He should not have won the competition just for that...if you go to a restaurant and the main entree is unedible, you don't reward the restaurant with a big tip or great feedback on Yelp! Amar's food, especially his risotto, was greatly complimented and praised by the judges...for the life of me, I don't understand giving the Jeremy the win. Jeremy was being petty and snarky about Amar picking Kwame...he seems to have a bit of vindictiveness to his personality despite all the "bro" and "dude" stuff he throws around. Disappointed with the win and by the season as whole...most of the contestants were mediocre and not as talented as other seasons.
    GolfGrrl likes this.

FORT Fogey

You've touched on all the negatives about Jeremy's dishes Kicksave, and you're right about the comments. However, we don't see all the comments made about hte food -- only those that are edited to create drama and suspense. It is possible that they said more negative things about Amar's food that were edited out. They did say at the end that things were VERY close. Since we don't have the benefit of actually tasting the food, it's hard to say based on the few comments that make it on the show if things were done right or not.
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

From their summation comments, what stuck out for me is that they chose technique over flavor. In other words, new cooking won out over old cooking.

Congrats to Jeremy, but I bet Amar's flavors were delicious. If only he had called the desert something more in touch with its density.
    justCoz likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    From their summation comments, what stuck out for me is that they chose technique over flavor. In other words, new cooking won out over old cooking.

Congrats to Jeremy, but I bet Amar's flavors were delicious. If only he had called the desert something more in touch with its density.
    I noticed that comment as well, and as soon as they said Jeremy had technique I knew he would win. I don't really understand why it's popular to have technique win over flavor in a chef competition. It shouldn't matter how pretty the food is if the flavors aren't great.
    sparklete and Kicksave1052 like this.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post

I got the impression that some of the Judges found one of Amar's dishes way over-seasoned. I was Team Carl throughout the season just because he seems like such a decent guy and seemed to have some interesting albeit low-key flavors combinations, so really didn't care who won though..
    GolfGrrl likes this.

Jeremy's win felt completely "meh" to me. I'm sure he's a great cook to get to this point. Unfortunately, as viewers we can't taste the cooking, so personality does also become a factor. I respect the judges decision, but I would still have much rather seen Carl and Marjorie in the finale.

I also wondered how much of an advantage it was for Jeremy that he was still close with his mentor, where Amar was basically estranged from his. It seemed to turn out okay, but I still have to wonder about the details. I don't doubt that Amar's mentor helped him, but I wonder if they got equal advice about their menu choices and stuff like that. It may or may not have made a difference in the end. Just something I was curious about.
    AcookerTV likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast