+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 2/25 Top Chef 13 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

2/25 Top Chef 13 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

"Wok This Way" - A showdown includes woks when the chefs visit San Francisco's Chinatown. Later, they must create a fast-casual restaurant concept. Foodies Martin Yan and Adam Fleischman make appearances.

A-wokka-wokka...enjoy the show!
    beerbelly likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

2/25 Top Chef 13 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

I'm very surprised. I thought the "bro" would go before Kwame. Strangely, I just finished the show and I still have no idea what the "bro" guy's name is...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: 2/25 Top Chef 13 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

I was really rooting for Kwame this season, but he probably did do the worst at the challenge. Really not a good idea to use a prepared, store-bought product on Top Chef unless it's part of the challenge. It wouldn't have been hard to make a waffle batter, but they obviously didn't have access to a waffle iron and it may have been very time-consuming to create them some other way. The bite-size thing didn't really work for a restaurant concept either. The previews tried to make it look as though Phillip would be a problem for the chef he was paired with, but this was not the case. In fact, in a lot of the earlier episodes, Phillip would often be asking Kwame for his opinion on his food, and Kwame didn't really seem to have a problem with Phillip until restaurant wars when they were arguing. I don't think Marjorie was aware of this, because it sounded like she was trying to mess up Kwame by giving him Phillip when Kwame was probably who Phillip worked with best overall. But the frozen waffles and execution errors did him in.

Jeremy seems to have a huge ego so I would have preferred him to be eliminated since I don't like him much as a person. His "taco dudes" thing was pretty dumb and I don't think a name like that with menu items using the words "bro/brah" really fit with Top Chef. Not to mention his crazy unfocused concept. I have to admit it was pretty funny when one of the judges compared it to Hooters due to the "hot chicks" that he said would be serving.
    beerbelly likes this.
    "In spite of all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart, just as pure as you were at the age of eleven, when you stared into a mirror that reflected your heart's desire, and it showed you only the way to thwart Lord Voldemort, and not immortality or riches."

It's just hit me that Martin Yan feels like a really racist caricature of what a Chinese person is like, and I say that as a Chinese person.
    Revenge is ice cream.

Though Kwame's concept of the portable chicken waffle failed, he shouldn't have been sent home...Jeremy should have been sent packing. He has consistently produced bad dishes for the last four or five challenges and the fact that he is still in the competition is ridiculous. Kwame's big mistake was using the frozen waffles as someone else on here pointed out...you never, ever use pre-made food on Top Chef. I was surprised Kwame didn't take that into consideration...anyone that watches Top Chef regularly knows that every chef that has served up pre-made store bought food gets eliminated. Jeremy's Taco Dudes was bad in every way and not very original. He should have done a chili bar...he could have incorporated a Southwest theme into it and had various types of chili with all kinds of toppings and a choice of rice or macaroni. He could have had beef chili, chicken chili, vegetarian chili, etc...oh well...I guess Top Chef is just wallowing in mediocrity this season. I did not think Marjorie's concept was very practical and seemed too labor intensive for this sort of restaurant.
    sparklete likes this.

Aside from the SUPER OBVIOUS TELEGRAPHING in the editing, as soon as he uttered the words "frozen waffles", I knew Kwame was in trouble, and only a massive screw up from someone else would save him. I suppose he really hasn't watched the show as faithfully as many of us, but using store-bought for a major component of your dish is such a death-knell on this show (rightly so IMO).

I had such high hopes for him, but I can't fault the judges eliminating him over Jeremy: even if the bros idea was a failure, at least the food was good.

And yay Marjorie and Carl! I admit I didn't see Carl's win coming, but I'm glad it did: it really did come through how he had put some thought into the kind of fast casual he'd do!

Richard Blais wrote an interesting blog on the episode at the Bravo website:

Richard: The Classiest Moment in Top Chef History | Top Chef Blog
    jsciv and Arielflies like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Just to correct what I said above since I can't edit it anymore:

I had such high hopes for him, but I can't fault the judges eliminating him over Jeremy: even if the bros idea was a failure, at least all of the food was freshly made.

Seattle area used to have a fast casual Italian chain called Pasta Ya Gotcha. I don't think it's around any more. Now there's Pallino Pastaria. Mediterranean, on the other hand, is new, and would be a good alternative to the full -service Med restaurants.

I found it ironic when Marjorie was complaining about Isaac making gumbo when she was making spaghetti. I get that he's done similar things but of course that would be the concept he would do for a restaurant.

I think they could have very easily have sent Jeremy home, but it was no shocker that it was Kwame; no way could he not when he was serving frozen waffles. I liked that Kwame wasn't thrown off by being given Phillip, that wasn't what send him home.
    sparklete likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast