+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Top Chef 14 Last Chance Kitchen

Re: Top Chef 14 Last Chance Kitchen

A lot of chefs smoke, and it dulls their sense of taste, which makes them feel they need the salt to bring out the flavors of the food, but that also unfortunately creates a culture where everything is overseasoned; unfortunately, as a non-smoker working in a professional kitchen, I tend to find everything cooked by the chefs to be salted to the edge over-salting, because I still don't season my food when I cook at home.
    Revenge is ice cream.

My son is a Chef and he claims it depends on the salt you use - I guess sea salt or kosher salt are less salty then the kind I use...

It has less to do with the type, and more how heavy-handed the person seasoning the food is. It doesn't matter how less salty a salt is if you're still tossing fistfuls (clearly an exaggeration for effect) of it onto the food.
    Revenge is ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by HaikenEdge View Post
    A lot of chefs smoke, and it dulls their sense of taste, which makes them feel they need the salt to bring out the flavors of the food, but that also unfortunately creates a culture where everything is overseasoned; unfortunately, as a non-smoker working in a professional kitchen, I tend to find everything cooked by the chefs to be salted to the edge over-salting, because I still don't season my food when I cook at home.
    I'd agree that east coast trained chefs can sometimes be heavy handed with salt (along with tenancies to overcook vegetables and pasta), but to me, an unsalted salad is bland --- especially watermelon and tomato. Not talking about a lot of salt, but a few grains, unless, of course, if adding a salty cheese like feta.
    Last edited by ryansmommy; 01-28-2017 at 02:43 PM.

The last time I was in Chicago I was shocked at how everything was so salty. I'm more prone to under seasoning when I cook.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

American Idol Deluxe Arielflies's Avatar

This was a weird 3-way. Two advanced (Casey and Jamie) while Sylva, the last standing newbie, was sent packing. Anyway, we're getting closer. There is also a "favorite" chef contest I'll have to find so I can vote for Jim.

Here is the link:

Fan Favorite | Bravo TV Official Site
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

If I was Sylva I'd be bitter. I was yelling at the screen (TV for the show, laptop for LCK) last night that they have to stop mixing so many vets into regular casts, and just have more All-Stars seasons if they're so in love with past chefs.
    Fiero425 likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
    The last time I was in Chicago I was shocked at how everything was so salty. I'm more prone to under seasoning when I cook.
    Same here! Chefs have been listening to these cooking shows too much! Tom and Gordon Ramsey drive it home to "taste, taste, taste! Your dish is under-seasoned" so they go overboard! Since when is it a crime to force patrons to add their own salt? I use it sparingly and never at a table in a restaurant! Pepper is about it; esp. if fresh ground!
    crusin, beerbelly and Arielflies like this.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Silver18 View Post
    My son is a Chef and he claims it depends on the salt you use - I guess sea salt or kosher salt are less salty then the kind I use...
    I'm no cook and usually think salt is salt, but for the last several years I've been using "Garlic" salt and powder in just about everything I prepare! Some think it's saltier than regular table salt! I like that little extra herb mixed into the sprinkle; makes me feel like I'm doing something! ;-)

Brooke or Casey? Between these two, how could it possibly not be Brooke?

(IMO himalayan salt is as good as it gets.)
    Last edited by ryansmommy; 02-10-2017 at 09:24 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast