+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Top Chef New Orleans - 12/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fan

Top Chef New Orleans - 12/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

It SEEMED like the better chefs were on the green team, but they can't get their act together in terms of running the restaurant.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Top Chef New Orleans 12/4 Episode: Restaurant Wars **SPOILERS**

Anyone else watching? Team Found is really in the weeds. Seeing David Chang makes me want pork buns and cookies. Never watch TC hungry! Sara's hair wrap dohickies are driving me nuts. She reminds me too much of that Kelsey (?) chick from Project Runway with her retro look.
    Dragonlady likes this.

FORT Fan

Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 12/4/13 Show Discussion Spoilers

Every time I see Sara with her head tie (or whatever it's called), I think of Lucy (Lucille Ball). LOL
    FlyAKite likes this.

FORT Fan

Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 12/4/13 Show Discussion Spoilers

If the green team loses who should go home, Sara (front of the house person) or Justin (executive chef)?

Re: 12/4 Top Chef New Orleans - Show Discussion **Spoilers**

IMO the correct person was sent home. She was all over the place making mistakes and didn't have good food on top of that.
    FlyAKite and cubsfan55 like this.

Re: 12/4 Top Chef New Orleans - Show Discussion **Spoilers**

She wasn't going to win, but I'll miss seeing her doo-rag in the kitchen.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 12/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Sara's hair and head wrap is 'steam punk.' Fun once in awhile, if you like that, but every damn day? She fancies herself as unique yet is anything but. Bad attitude, too.
    sparklete likes this.

I've never much liked Sara; she seems to project negativity, and rarely, if ever, smiles or laughs. Judging from the things she said last night in LCK, I think she feels her skills are not up to some of the other contestants and it bothers her a lot.

That said, what she or anyone else choose to wear as long as it isn't obscene is not my business. It's not something I'd choose to wear but she apparently like it. The head wrap also seems to keep her hair in check and from falling into her food while she cooks.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

It is time for them to go back to the original idea and cook wherever that was. I don't like these shows on the road. Yes, New Orleans has some good food but I didn't think Creole or Cajun was all that fabulous. I sampled the usual fare but found the French restaurants much better. I liked it when the chefs were free to cook in their own style and not have to scramble around to make the best gumbo when that is not what they do. Gumbo is not all that, neither is Jambalaya. Beignets are fabulous as are bananas Foster though.

Their enthusiasm is much better when free to show the judges what they do best. There is a lower energy on the recent seasons. Texas was a disaster but Seattle and Boston were only marginally better.
    Florimel likes this.

FORT Fogey

I actually love that they do this show from various cities. The first few seasons, I didn't even realize they were incorporating the host city into some challenges. With Texas, I think they went a bit overboard centering most challenges on Texas food and it was annoying. But all in all, I think they do a nice balance of working elements of the host city into some challenges, but giving freedom in others. And it's worked to get me thinking about some of the unique food offerings of various cities. With Restaurant Wars, I wish they'd move away from some of the "this is a challenge you'd NEVER face with 24 hours" surprises ... such as a space that has no kitchen. But I was glad that this time they were provided with a professional wait staff to make that realistic. I think the challenges on Top Chef are kind of like the theme nights on American Idol ... it's nice to have some that really separate the good from the great because the great can adapt to different styles and have the knowledge to honor them. But there still need to be some challenges that are open enough that individual talents are highlighted. For Restaurant Wars -- I'm glad that Sara's sour-know-it-all attitude was called out. I loved Padma expressing her disgust adt Sara not bothering to explain the dishes, but just plop them on the table ... except her own. But I do wish that Justin had been called out a little on the issue of the judge's orders. Yes, Sara should have written up a ticket for the judge's orders. But Justin also hurt the team by holding out on principle that his beloved system was not being followed, rather than figuring out how to adapt to something unexpected. Ego took them both down.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast